Who pays board to live at home? (1 Viewer)

Samie_Loo

quacktacular
HSC
omg! i have to pay board dependin on which house im at... my mum makes me pay board... depending on how much i earn that week between $20 and $70... not nice i say... not nice

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
spin spin sugar said:
my bf pays board, 200 a month. personally if you're paying that much already i'd rather just move out, and pay a little bit extra to have complete freedom
A little bit extra? How many people do you plan on moving in with to keep rent under $50-80 a week? Even if you don't plan on using electricity candles still cost money. You get sick of noodle packs fairly quickly. Have a sit down and write down everything that will cost you money just to stay alive and then you will notice that the cost is more than a little bit extra on top of that $200 a month :)

Once you start sharing you start losing your freedom, it's only one form to another.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
i used to live in the middle of the city for 90 bucks rent a week. so... yeah, it's actually relatively easy to keep rent low if you're young and don't mind sharing with other people. if you were sharing out west you could easily pay 50 bucks rent a week. without even sharing a room- i've never done that. your preaching is really misguided, i've lived out of home before and am completely aware of all the costs. and personally i thought sharing with people was fantastic.. soo much fun.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
If I were living at home, working full time and not studying, I wouldn't pay board, I would just buy the groceries every now and then etc and help out around the house, I think that would be all my parents would expect. They would probably prefer me to save the money I would pay them for "board" to have a deposit on a house so I would move out permenently lol. But now that I have lived out of home for a year and a half I don't think I would go back.... plus I hope not to end up working in Albury lol.

But I think it depends a lot on your family circumstances etc. I think it is definately fair to pay board or contribute to the household expenses in some way if you are working full time and not studying!!!

froggy_chik87

HSC
omg, i am in school, i am a casual employee and i pay board...i don't have a problem with it...if my mum needs the extra help, i am happy to give it to her...you all sound so ungreatful for everything your parents have done for you...i pay $90 a week...do you hear me complaining...NO...stop thinking you are supirior to them, and realise just how much they have done for you over the years!!

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
This may sound harsh and selfish but if my parents expected me to pay board id just work out one way or another to move out considering one of the only reasons keeping me here is that i cant afford it.
I buy all my own toiletries, occasionally do some grocery shopping which my mum, depending on her mood sometimes pays me back for considering its them and my brother who eat most of it anyway, and hardly ever eat meals at home. So really all my parents have to fork out on me is electricity and water so im hardly a dent on their earnings so it just wouldnt be fair if i had to pay imo.

Skeeta

HSC
yeah i dont have to pay board, im full time uni, weekend job but they say that i dont need to pay board until im finished my degree and workin full time. (thats another 4 years!)

If they really needed the money though, i'd pay now.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
sally_33 said:
my parents rule is if your not completing some form of education you have to pay. my brother is 20 and working full time, and he pays $50 a week for everything which i think is very very reasonable
my parents have the same rule, and they applied it 2 my sis @ $50 p.w. as well, cept they kept it for her, then gave it back wen she went away around europe, pretty good-way of enforced savings

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
i dont pay, but i do lots of housework and cook dinner, which i think kinda compensates for not paying board!

happy cup

has left BOS :)
HSC
N/A
I don't pay anything. I pay for my own expenses and I give my younger brother his allowance though. My parents are cool they're just happy to keep us here.

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
yeah my mum has..but hasnt asked since i quit woolies. it was only $20 a week- reason i use electricty, water etc & its hard for her being a single parent

therealworld

HSC
my parents are azyn, and they like wanna keep me in the house 4EVA ! there afraid that ill abandon them oneday coz its only me and my sista whose already married and still living at home with her hubby coz my parents would totally flip if she left, theyll neva make me pay board even if im old and grey and a multimillionaire

i guess its an azyn thing and me payin board probly has neva crossed their mind, i so wish they would kick me out of the house u guys are lucky that you have the choice to leave or stay so be grateful!

Olsen

Hates cold mornings..
HSC
cherryblossom said:
But if I did stay at home I don't think they'd make me pay because they're asian and asian parents are against this kind of thing.

Your lucky my parents are Asian and can't wait to kick me out. Maybe i'm helping things along by being lazy but i do pay board of $50 week.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
my parents charge $170 a week off me, board & to get use to supporting them cuz its the traditional thing to do

they may be poor, but they've recently bought a 3m fish tank with $100 gold fish times three.

what makes it worse is that every day i spend in this god foresaken place, they condemn me for not getting over 90 for my uai DESPITE my scholarship at usyd, DESPITE the fact that there are only 14 places in the course I got into, DESPITE that I am paying half the rent of this DAMN HOUSE.

and YET they will not let me continue this degree in peace, i have to CONSTANTLY defend it, cannot deal with the fact that there are boys at uni, cannot deal with the fact that I'm working, forbid to drive, forbid me to give anyone my home number, will not let me out past 12am...

I've had worse circumstances, but I cannot let this continue, i've fought my way thru the smallest battles, such as being let out of the house in the first place,... my parents are insane and will not let me grow up, and i feel like a whiney teenager when i say that, but fuck, im at uni now, its the whole "real world" thing, can i fucking face it????

/vent

feels good to let it out

elisabeth

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
my parents charge $170 a week off me, board & to get use to supporting them cuz its the traditional thing to do

they may be poor, but they've recently bought a 3m fish tank with $100 gold fish times three.

what makes it worse is that every day i spend in this god foresaken place, they condemn me for not getting over 90 for my uai DESPITE my scholarship at usyd, DESPITE the fact that there are only 14 places in the course I got into, DESPITE that I am paying half the rent of this DAMN HOUSE.

and YET they will not let me continue this degree in peace, i have to CONSTANTLY defend it, cannot deal with the fact that there are boys at uni, cannot deal with the fact that I'm working, forbid to drive, forbid me to give anyone my home number, will not let me out past 12am...

I've had worse circumstances, but I cannot let this continue, i've fought my way thru the smallest battles, such as being let out of the house in the first place,... my parents are insane and will not let me grow up, and i feel like a whiney teenager when i say that, but fuck, im at uni now, its the whole "real world" thing, can i fucking face it????

/vent

feels good to let it out
$170 a week and putting up with that? Can't you find somewhere else to live for that price to save your sanity?

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Yep I do. Once my centrelink went to me instead of mum - ie, when I turned 18, I started paying board at $50 a week. Her reasoning was pretty much, I'm still living at home and using electricty and eating food and what not, but she was no longer getting my centrelink payments to support me, which put a strain on already limited funds in the house. She's not a nazi about it - if I can't afford it one week, I can't afford it. She lends me money, I lend her - I figure I'm working, I should put some money towards living expenses and $50 a week is nothing considering what I was paying in rent alone when I moved out of home. I really dont' see the point or fairness in bludging off your parents once you reach 18, you should be contributing something by then anyway - you're an adult afterall.

Your boyfriend is a whinger.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)