Who pays board to live at home? (1 Viewer)

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
my parents charge $170 a week off me, board & to get use to supporting them cuz its the traditional thing to do

they may be poor, but they've recently bought a 3m fish tank with $100 gold fish times three.

what makes it worse is that every day i spend in this god foresaken place, they condemn me for not getting over 90 for my uai DESPITE my scholarship at usyd, DESPITE the fact that there are only 14 places in the course I got into, DESPITE that I am paying half the rent of this DAMN HOUSE.

and YET they will not let me continue this degree in peace, i have to CONSTANTLY defend it, cannot deal with the fact that there are boys at uni, cannot deal with the fact that I'm working, forbid to drive, forbid me to give anyone my home number, will not let me out past 12am...

I've had worse circumstances, but I cannot let this continue, i've fought my way thru the smallest battles, such as being let out of the house in the first place,... my parents are insane and will not let me grow up, and i feel like a whiney teenager when i say that, but fuck, im at uni now, its the whole "real world" thing, can i fucking face it????

/vent

feels good to let it out

Dude, get out. You can get a flat for less than $170 a week, and perhaps a bit of freedom too. Check out share listing at USYD if you don't fancy living on your own, but mate those conditions are shit house. If you're parents can afford $100 gold fish x 3, they don't know the true meaning of being poor. Seriously mate, you shouldn't have to put up with that shit.

Skeeta

HSC
White Rabbit said:
Dude, get out. You can get a flat for less than $170 a week, and perhaps a bit of freedom too. Check out share listing at USYD if you don't fancy living on your own, but mate those conditions are shit house. If you're parents can afford $100 gold fish x 3, they don't know the true meaning of being poor. Seriously mate, you shouldn't have to put up with that shit.
i agree, i know they might see it as abandonment and u probably still need some sort of security but it can be done - its probably harder that you're studying tho - and not working full time but $170 a week is quite alot of money if you dont mind sharing a house with other people

theres always a way out <3

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
I dont pay anything, its the way curry familys are. Plus as i'm the first boy, i get the house. So im not complaining. However with the money I earn I always blow it on stuff for the house/other family members.

White Rabbit, I dont think you;re the person to tell someone to move away from their parents.

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
mine is whenever i can afford it now that i have a job cept it went up by $5 lol i'm not complaining cos its pretty alright for everything paid for cept my mobile bill and luxuries.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
So since my last post, I got a job, but I'm still not paying board...but that being said, its only casual...full time, after uni, I'd be expected to pay.

Although, I pay for everything myself (well, my parents still pay for my fuel, and food at home, but thats it)

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
I've never heard of the term "Board" before until today (18 november 2005) :D

My parents support me now and I'll support them when they retire.

Skeeta

HSC
i've got a mate who'se family wont let them pay "board" as such, but the kids (who are grown up) pay for other things such as the foxtel bill or for cable internet or stuff. I think its a better idea

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I'm lucky in that my parents don't make myself or my sister pay board. We're both at uni full time and fairly self-sufficient (pay for our own transport, clothes, toiletries etc). They're supporting me slightly more at the moment as I'm not working, but I'll put in some money here and there if my mum needs it. If I'm still at home when I leave uni and work full time I'll start paying board but it isn't necessary at the moment.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
sikeveo said:
I dont pay anything, its the way curry familys are. Plus as i'm the first boy, i get the house. So im not complaining. However with the money I earn I always blow it on stuff for the house/other family members.

White Rabbit, I dont think you;re the person to tell someone to move away from their parents.

I was simply putting forward my opinion, I fail to see the problem with that

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
u_i_c....

threaten to move out and state your reasons; with no real intention to actually go anywhere.

This may give you some more freedom :eek:

bobina

HSC
It's not so much they want money back from you because they've brought you up but rather so you can get a taste of what it's like to be independant and finance yourself.
I think paying board or rent at home is a good chance for you to learn how to manage your money and see how it feels when it is your money that you have to part with rather than your parents.
Besides if you were really in need of money its your parents that you go to first right?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I think not paying board (aka rent) but paying all my own bills and shit makes me feel a lot more independant and gets me ready to move out a lot quicker than paying board but having my parents still pay all my bills.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
mr_brightside said:
u_i_c....

threaten to move out and state your reasons; with no real intention to actually go anywhere.

This may give you some more freedom :eek:
YAY for me who moved out and pays rent and own bills and have no parents. independence go me!!!

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
YAY for me who moved out and pays rent and own bills and have no parents. independence go me!!!
ogm!

congrats! party at yours :D

HSC
Ur_Inner_Child - If your dealing with all that, you can face the real world! And you can come home at 4 in the morning if you want!

Don't get your phone turned on though!

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
I don't. Three of my mates do. One pays $35 a week, covers everything but phone bill (that's split between the 3 girls), another pays $70 which is a total rip cause she does all the work round the house and her mum sits on her butt, and another pays $20 (covers everything). I'm paying $5000 for accommodation costs this year at uni. That's my board.

Collin

HSC
N/A
I pay board to my parents.. it annoys me but I guess it's fair. They've always said that the degree of my contribution should be reasonable and somewhat reflect my current income levels. In other words, if I didn't have a job right now, I wouldn't have to pay board. But since I do, I contribute a bit.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
im paying board while im on uni holidays cos im working and earning a fair bit and doesent seem fair to be earning x amount and spending it on my own luxury while my parents put up. that being said when uni goes back and i don't work as much, i prolly will go back to not paying board

*Minka*

HSC
My parents would never dream of making me pay board. They are happy that they can help with Uni costs with me staying at home and say that the pitiful money I earn from a part time job should be mine to spend on things I'd like for myself. They are happy to have me at home during Uni and still insist on getting things for me. Even yesterday I was buying a pair of shoes and my mum insisted on getting them for me even when I insisted I could get them myself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)