Who pays board to live at home? (1 Viewer)

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
See I don't mind so much paying my parents rent if Im working full-time (studying at the mo so I can't haha) I don't want to out of principal cos my parents are money-grubbing and sometimes greedy but for $50 week its still the cheapest rent in Sydney. But I'm going to move out as soon as I can.

What sucks is my sis has managed to get away with not paying for 3 years. But I know that as soon as I work Im going to have to pay, which sucks... I should get 3years free to, and by then I'd prolly have enough to move out or get a loan haha or maybe even married/defactoed haha afterall thats what 5-6 years away.

Kirsti

HSC
Well, my mum's rule is that as long as I'm a full time student I don't have to pay (If I do part time uni and part time work I would have to) even though I'm already working 1 part time job and 1 casual.
When it comes to the crunch though, I don't think she'd enforce it.

I've applied for a full time job and have an interview on Monday. If I get it, I'd offer to pay board but my mum's the kind of person that wouldn't accept it. She's more than happy with their current financial situation and generally insists on paying for my petrol and meals out and things like that.

Both my parents would prefer that I continued saving until I have enough for a deposit on some property. I'm looking to buy an investment property before I leave home (while I'm at uni if I can) and my parents say that as long as what I'm earning goes into savings/investment for my future, they're happy for me to stay at home.

I'll be helping support them when they retire so I see it as a fair trade off.

Venusian

HSC
I paid $80/week from the day i finished year 12
It really shitted me at first cos i was only working part time at coles until my traineeship started
But it was fair, and these days theyre paying my hecs (which i think i will definitely pay back to them anyway)
And i also think it prepared me for the 'real world' in that, no, i could not blow a weeks pay on yet another pair of shoes.
These days i pay for college myself (ok well centrelink does most of it) and it supprises me soo much as soo many people (inc those in their 20s) who still have their parents pay their rent

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
my parents are racist so i dont have to pay board. but i do support myself paying for any expenses i have.

Collin

HSC
N/A
^^

Is it because you're a rich spoilt brat?

Uh-huh, uh-huh. :eek:

Skeeta

HSC
my folks were against me paying board, but now mums come-up with the fabulous idea of me paying $50 a week.. and then when i move out, they'll give me all the money back

i dnt think its gonna happen, why cant i just put it in a damn bank account?!

mR.aCAdEMiK

Mo-del Student
HSC
I dunt think my parents will make me pay board, but then again i have been paying for all non-school related things since i was 13 when i got my first job and they have never given me or any of my brother and sisters any pocket money. Only money we get from them is birthday and christmas money. I paid $1200 in yr 7 for my own computer! lolz.

This is because of the typical attitude of migrants especially from asian and poorer eastrern europe countries who basically say 'when i was your age, i had to work all day, i didn't even get to go to school".

Haha its not like i actually want to go to school anyways :D

*Minka*

HSC
mR.aCAdEMiK said:
I dunt think my parents will make me pay board, but then again i have been paying for all non-school related things since i was 13 when i got my first job and they have never given me or any of my brother and sisters any pocket money. Only money we get from them is birthday and christmas money. I paid $1200 in yr 7 for my own computer! lolz.

This is because of the typical attitude of migrants especially from asian and poorer eastrern europe countries who basically say 'when i was your age, i had to work all day, i didn't even get to go to school".

It is not like that with all migrant families I don't think - my Dad (Croatian/Serbian) said one of the reasons he worked so hard and trained so hard was so that his family would never be poor or know the meaning of suffering. Different people take things in different ways then. My Mum (Croatian) is like 'I don't want your money, you are my daughter, so anything I can do, I will do'.

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
I don't pay board and I work full-time. Mainly because I'm saving up to buy a house and my parents understand that. They don't want me renting like a douchebag. I pay bills occasionally, like water or electicity. Other than that, my money is my money.

faintygirl83

HSC
N/A
I started uni full time a year ago, so my folks are fine with me not paying board. I don't take cash from my parents, but they do pay household bills like the home phone, electricity, water, food, cable internet, cable tv.

I pay for all of my own things - clothes, mobile, toiletries, entertainment etc

I also help out quite a lot around the house - I would do the most housework around the house compared to my family.

When I worked full time I did pay board...I began working in 2002 and would pay $50 a week back then. I went overseas for 6 months in 2004 and when I came back and was working (within a week) I started paying $75 a week until I finished working in Feb 2006.

I appreciate what my folks do for me and will definitely pay board when I graduate from uni before I leave home. I will also help take care of them when they're older.

pottsy44

HSC
i started paying $50 a week since the start of this year. i alternate between part time and full time study (2-4 subjects depending on semester).

i only started paying board as i went from a 22.5k job last year to a 34k job this year, so i think its fair. also i live with my mum who only has a sole income of around 55k and has no other benefits.

sladehk

le random
HSC
*sigh
i have to pay them a third of my pay
=(

Nick_R

Master of my Domain
HSC
LMAO!!! Dad approached me about paying board the other day, and this was my response:
"Dad, I'd rather live in Guantanamo bay than pay board to live here."

i don't even have a job and dad approaches me for board - all i get is a tiny amount of youth allowance - like $35 a fortnight... I use this to do the simple things like have a drink with friends or see a movie or something... and dad wants to take it off me...

i live safe in the knowledge that he'd never kick me out tho haha i already mow the lawn, clean the bathroom, vacuum, dishes, my own laundry etc... he's being pretty unfair considering i'm getting a uni education when he didn't when he was my age...

my belief is that if i'm getting an education i shouldn't pay board, even if i'm working part time... if i WASN'T at uni or whatever and was working, i'd pay him board coz that would be fair

grue

HSC
I don't pay board but I believe that would change when I do get some sort of income flowing in. My brother had to pay $150~$200 a month to help with the electricity/phone/water but he's moved out now. However, I have to pay my own uni fees..

On another note, it's common for Asians to stay with their parents for the rest of their life. :rofl: I'm going to move out when possible though as I don't think I'll be able to handle my mother's growing senility.

Bendent

HSC
mR.aCAdEMiK said:

haha i agree.

since my parents moved out when they were like 16 or 18 or something they think i have crap life skills for still staying at home.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
im at uni now, and i don't have a job (although i am avidly avidly looking!!!!!!!) and im not on centrelink either because apparently my parents earn too much to entitle me to youth allowance or any of that, so my parents give me money each week for train fares and food and shit, which i feel a bit bad about coz that is the kind of stuff that i should really be paying for at this stage. but once i have a job and have earned a bit of money i'm planning to either a) move out or b) start paying board. i'm thinking i'd like to move out simply because i live so far from uni that it would probably work out cheaper for me overall than living at home and paying board plus travel costs etc.

my parents are happy to pay for uni related stuff like textbooks, etc, and they dont expect me to pay them back for it either - my dad in particular is of the opinion that any job i have should be for my social life and things - but it's a lot of money and i will personally feel guilty if i dont at least make an effort to pay them back once i have a job. that pretty much sums it up for me - i'm an adult at uni now, i *should* be getting further on my way to financing my own life, so when my parents are still paying for stuff like my train and bus fares i feel bad because thats like 50 bucks a week that i should be paying myself but cant. must find a job soon!!!

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
lol, how about we just rename this thread "My parents don't love me". My sister works full time and still lives with us and doesn't pay board. Guess it just depends on your parent's expectations/ideas.

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
Azamakumar said:
lol, how about we just rename this thread "My parents don't love me". My sister works full time and still lives with us and doesn't pay board. Guess it just depends on your parent's expectations/ideas.
My sister is the exact same with my family.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)