Who wants to get an art-ish job? (1 Viewer)

Would you like to get a job related to art in some way?

• my future career is not art-related

Votes: 12 11.5%
  • artist

Votes: 11 10.6%
  • graphic design/web design/advertising

Votes: 33 31.7%
  • textiles and fashion designer

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • art/design teacher or lecturer

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • architect

Votes: 12 11.5%
  • industrial design/product design

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • interior designer

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • film design/production

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • something else art-ish (explain...)

Votes: 9 8.7%

• Total voters

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
More or less a thread to keep this forum from drunkenly falling over in a gutter, vomiting, passing out, and being run over by a passing freight truck.

So... does anyone want a job remotely related to art?

roo

HSC
i'd love to do something in design but i probably wouldn't. i wouldnt mind being an architect either, but im not really passionate about it. ;)

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
ahhhh!!! thjere's too many to choose from!!! i wanna do mosta them! (except maybe cake decorator...cos i'd be shit at doign that, prolly wreck the cake or drop it or something cos im so clumsy)

but id have to say that architect is probably it for me..

lazychic

** hOnEy_mELdeW **
hey yo!

to all ma sistaz and bruthaz out dere! haha

fashion is da bish :D :p ;)

petite

arty farty

Interior/architecture

I love art/design. If ever in future I can't get a job that's art-related, I'm going to work as a security officer in an art gallery. LoL...err ahem.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Re: arty farty

Originally posted by petite
Interior/architecture

I love art/design. If ever in future I can't get a job that's art-related, I'm going to work as a security officer in an art gallery. LoL...err ahem.
ooh mad. so which is it for next year? interior or architecture? i'd love to do both...so i'll prolly go to uni to do architecture and like learn interior through tafe or something. (i thought NO ONE wanted to do architecture at all, but seems like im wrong cos i've already found a few people here who do)

but...if i get into art theory (Which is highly unlikely) i'd love to be a curator or like some big art organiser dude or something. that would rock.

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
i fould a good combo degree @ newcastle uni:
visual communication (graphic design)/information technology.
would be good for getting a job in website.interactive media design.

petite

Re: Re: arty farty

Originally posted by johnson

ooh mad. so which is it for next year? interior or architecture? i'd love to do both...so i'll prolly go to uni to do architecture and like learn interior through tafe or something. (i thought NO ONE wanted to do architecture at all, but seems like im wrong cos i've already found a few people here who do)

but...if i get into art theory (Which is highly unlikely) i'd love to be a curator or like some big art organiser dude or something. that would rock.
hello johnson,

At first I wanted to go for Interior Design. And before that Fashion Design...long story...I suppose I've come a long way from my dress-up-barbie fantasies..haha. plus, there's not much for you in Australia if you do Fashion, much better to study that abroad.

Anyway, getting back...my goal is to get into Bachelor of Design at UNSW. I've done some research, it's great...you get to do a wide range of design stuff...eg graphic design, fashion design, interior...all rolled into one, then next year u get to pick three. or soemthing like that, cos i'm not sure about the details.

n as i was researchin' some stuff, i came across Bachelor of Interior Architecture. so i guess the name of the course speaks for itself. both courses length 4 years and this year UAI 84. so there's another option for you, instead of going to TAFE to do interior. *smiles* i hope it helps. go to UNSW site n check it out! :eek:)

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
oh yeh, at cofa u mean? yeh i was thinking about doing that myself, design and art education though, but im just worried that i'll go to uni for 5 years and come out working on the dole...it just sounds so hard to get into the design biz these days...argh it all sux!!!!

but yeh the design course sounds reeeally fun, and its a broad general course as well so its good, you're options aren't limited.

i dunno!!! i hate making decisions...it bloody sux...argh

petite

design

oh yeh, at cofa u mean...it just sounds so hard to get into the design biz these days...argh it all sux!!!!
ei?? what's cofa? no...i meant at UNSW, there's a 4 year course for Bachelor of Interior Architecture. Since u wanted to do both interior and architecture....this way, you don't have to go TAFE to do interior.

yeah...I understand the 'design biz' problem completely. It's so competitive out there these days. But Owellz. Do what you're good at. I picked design because I want to get a job in doing something I enjoy in future...*gives unlady like snort* beats doing the rounds, sitting in an office cubicle each day. wel, that was only my opinion. :D

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Re: design

Originally posted by petite

ei?? what's cofa? no...i meant at UNSW, there's a 4 year course for Bachelor of Interior Architecture. Since u wanted to do both interior and architecture....this way, you don't have to go TAFE to do interior.

yeah...I understand the 'design biz' problem completely. It's so competitive out there these days. But Owellz. Do what you're good at. I picked design because I want to get a job in doing something I enjoy in future...*gives unlady like snort* beats doing the rounds, sitting in an office cubicle each day. wel, that was only my opinion. :D
cofa ==> college of fine arts, its part of unsw so that's what i thought u meant at first.

yeh interior architecture looks interesting, but i dunno anymore..! argh i keep looking at all these cofa works and i sooo want to go there now, and do design or art theory or something, anything.

omg i wish i was in next year now though. we won't have to be doing stuff that we don't wanna do!!! (haha except those people who are gonna "sitin an office cubicle each day" of course! i agree with u, i would HATE an office job, i'd have to move around and go about places)

petite

Re: Re: design

but i dunno anymore..! argh i keep looking at all these cofa works and i sooo want to go there now, and do design or art theory or something, anything.
ahh..i don't know anything about cofa, i'll look into it. yes, those works...they're so tempting arn't they? it's amazing what people can do with a bit of imagination.
don't worry johnson. whichever design course you chose, i'm sure you'll enjoy it. :eek:)

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
yes, no job is the biggest detractor for grafix... but hell i'm going to do it anyway. i'd rather be an unemployed graphic designer than some boring suit type.

now i have to choose the course and uni

UTS looks good but the UAI is big (94.something)...
my dream course would be combined graphic design/international studies @ UTS... but the UAI is 98(!!!)

other options include

• Visual Communications (Bachelor of Design) @ Newcastle Uni
  • Design Computing @ USYD (anyone know anything about this course?)
  • Design @ COFA
  • Digital Media @ COFA
  • Art History + Theory @ COFA

any comments or whatever on any of these?

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
oh hey patrick, i want to do 2 of yours listed
* art theory @ cofa
* design @ cofa

wow..i thought that i was the only one who liked theory. everyone seems to hate it but i find it really interesting.

design computing @ usyd ==> i think that its architecturally related, cos sydney sent me this chunky-ass thing on the architecture faculty, and it had something about design computing in it.

i really wanna do design @ cofa cos i would like to go into theatre design but
(a) im shit at prac art, though i haven't really done design before
(b) i wonder how many theatre designers there are in sydney...

but its a general course so i spose i could become any sort of designer...ha and that's hoping i'll get in..

oh come on arts courses have such a huge uai thingy now, its so annoying. like friggin architecture is 85, and design is like 95...so to design a building which could potentially collapse and kill people, you need a less uai than to design stuff on a computer...
its crazy!

but i agree with u saladsugery, as someone was saying earlier, i would so rather be a security officer at an art gallery than someone with a boring job sitting in an office and wanting to kill myself every single day.

petite

oh come on arts courses have such a huge uai thingy now, its so annoying. like friggin architecture is 85, and design is like 95...so to design a building which could potentially collapse and kill people, you need a less uai than to design stuff on a computer...
its crazy!

But it depends on the amount of people that want to do the course, that's why it's the UAI is different every year. So i guess there's more people interested in design computer stuff than architecture. but yeah...it's quite annoying, 95...might as well do medicine or something.

but i agree with u saladsugery, as someone was saying earlier, i would so rather be a security officer at an art gallery than someone with a boring job sitting in an office and wanting to kill myself every single day.
ahh! johnson! I was depressed all day, but seeing someone quote me on that one, you have made my day! Spank you! hahah...:D

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
oh gosh i sounded like such a noob, how embarrassing

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)