Who wants to get an art-ish job? (1 Viewer)

Would you like to get a job related to art in some way?

• my future career is not art-related

Votes: 12 11.5%
  • artist

Votes: 11 10.6%
  • graphic design/web design/advertising

Votes: 33 31.7%
  • textiles and fashion designer

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • art/design teacher or lecturer

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • architect

Votes: 12 11.5%
  • industrial design/product design

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • interior designer

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • film design/production

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • something else art-ish (explain...)

Votes: 9 8.7%

• Total voters

cindy

dang!
i wanna study arts teaching at newcastle next year...so whos scared bout theyre body of work...im terrified and they dont mark em till like october sumtime, scary stuff...but thats coz i live in the middle of a black hole...lol

allyteaded

Originally posted by jello
my dream is 2 work 4 studio ghibi

or square soft!
LoL! Me too! Well, I think I would have put square soft first cuz I'm into CG and stuff. Big anime fan here too! (btw, going to Animania??)

Err... yeah, one of the things missing on the poll was animation. I don't think I could stand doing any other type of course.

The sad thing is, the only uni offers a course specific to animation that is close enough for me (within Sydney) is UWS, Penrith. It's one of my preferences ... but still. Oh and COFA does it too... but I went there during summer school in Jan... I didn't feel like I would fit in... It's like a Maze there!! COFA's one of my preferences too. (forth I think.)

UTS and SCA are my first and second preferences respectively. B Visual Communication and B Digital Media ... I think it was. I think I'm going to switch them around though cuz I like SCA.

But I'm more interested in private colleges, particularly CGC. I'm going for a private tour afta HSC. I've also visited JMC which was excellent - and I think I'll have that as a second choice. I know they're more bloody expensive but they're very specific to what I want. Anyone else feel this way?

I'm having a lot of trouble finding a good course/uni that specifically centers around Animation. If anyone has any hints, would be appreciated!

I'm also ok with teaching. I'll consider it as a career back up. If not I'll go into phyisics... don't ask why the sudden big jump ... lol.

I came first in both subjects. ^_^

spam police

yeah the digital media course at COFA is pretty good, i'm kind of considering that now too, but it's not just about animations.. er, if you can afford it, definitely go to a private college! (much much better resource, better teacher-student ratio)

allyteaded

LoL... I just realised I was the only one who voted for film design - that's only because it was the closest to animation. That and Graphic Design - but it's not advertisement that I'm interested in.

I couldn't afford private collages - but my parents are ok with it. It's just that - yeah, it's so specific to my course, exactly what I need.

I think I'd get lost in COFA. It's seriously like a maze! Nothing like I expected it to look like - Anyone here went to the summer courses - specifically, the animation/multimedia summer course?

Helena

I voted for artist somehow but I doubt I have the courage to go through with it full-time. I LOVE web design in my spare time but I don't know... the idea of designing for an income doesn't really appeal to me. I'd prefer something that gave more to the community.

lazybum

HSC
N/A
maybe work from home trying different mediums ( i get sick of using only one )
i'm very expressive but not so loud or outgoing.... bit of a paradox if i'm going to be an artist in the artworld!!!! anyways i'd better keep dreaming, my work won't even get nominated for artexpress damn!!!!!!

Helena

Originally posted by lazybum
anyways i'd better keep dreaming, my work won't even get nominated for artexpress damn!!!!!!
Hey it's cool... most great artist didn't start out in Art Express either ;).

allyteaded

Just a question, how much would an average webpage designer get for a basic webpage?

Let's say it involved filling in forms and stuff - like people would come and buy stuff from a company through the page...

Any help or reference to sites, people or mailing lists would be good!

Thanks!

bubble_tea

theres too many web-designers and its really competitive out there..
in fact, design and anything visually related is really competitive.. >.< you have to really stand out to be noticed.. I'm aiming for visual communications or digital media at uts but they're friggen 90++!!

juventino

Juventus For Life
HSC
I want to get into art teaching..plain and simple PLus do some illustrating on the side...and who knows, I might go work for Marvel ;)

owoodley

I wouldn't mind being one of those guys that paints naked women, so they appear to be not-so naked.... But hey, that's just me! lol....

bak0r

yea i wanna get into Graphic Design/Multimedia/Product Design...

they all look pretty intresting...

just too bad that Design based jobs are so popular...

makes it hard to get a job...

somps

i know what u mean. that's the only thing that's got me hesitant about choosing design courses, coz i'm scared of the competiveness and not being able to get a job in the industry. i mean i love design and artsy stuff, but because all my life has been 2 study hard and doing good in school 2 get good marks and get a good job(ie good money) job, i dont have much time to practice, so i don't know how 2 compare. Btw do design/multimedia jobs pay well?

Argh the dilemma!

frazzle

HSC
whoa! so many people want to do graphic design!

and here I am, probably the only one from mmy school who wants to do it. *sigh*

I'm not really sure about the employment opportunities and the oractical aspects of that after uni, but hey, that's whta I really want to do!

well, the course I most want to do would be Vis Comm @ UTS, and I've also looked at BA Design @ COFA. I want to combine that with psych, but the only thing you can combine vis comm with is international studies, UAI 98.8 last year!!!

ARGH!

MzbLaZeIT

im am teh seks.
HSC
for my tafe application im putting
Graphics + design
+ Interior Design

mannnnn, is any1 else putting either of these?
whats with the stupid poster design + the design creation for interior design!
blaaaaahhhhhhhh !
i cant be fucked to do it
but there is such a great demand!
ive been wanting to do graphics and design for ages!

bubble_tea

lol, i applied for it in year 10..
apparently you have to mount it on black cardboard, which they didn't specify..
I heard enmore centre is really competitive, if you're applying for that ten good luck ! :)

artfaggette

dongs
HSC
Gah, don't worry about wasting your time and paying big bucks to learn something that can't be taught.

Just join my arts collective, play all day and be really, really poor (Until people realise our genius and give us lots of moola).

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Meh... Enmore is only competitive because in all their Design courses they give first preference (unless you're really bad) to people who are already TAFE students (e.g. people who did Design Fundamentals, or Events and Entertainment, etc.).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)