Why did u choose standard english? (1 Viewer)

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
I did advanced for prelim and HATED it.....I felt the course was just all about talking out of your ass and overanalysing texts, making up hidden meanings that the writer probably wasn't even thinking of when he/she wrote it. I don't know how my teacher is able to get so much out of one bloody chapter in Romulus, My Father and talk about it for two friggin' hours without a moment of pause.

I love standard, because we're asked about just what the text actually says...not all these hidden meanings and silver linings about how the grass is greener, or maybe the grass is actually musty like Australian grass, and how the grass in New England is luminescent....and yes, my English Advanced teacher actually talked about that grass is greener on the other side saying, and had a monologue about the different shades of grass she has seen in her life....no joke, we all looked at eachother in disbelief.

English Standard is straight to the point and actually provides useful skills, plus I'm top of the class there so ego boost for me. Go Standard English!
That's just your teacher, who is obviously a pothead. She thinks way too hard about grass.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
standard is so gay. stuck with all these slackers who dont wanna learn. I wanna do Advanced instead, and plus, I think there would be more insurance in doing advanced than standard. standard is shit.

luv2luvurmama

HSC
So why did you choose Standard English?
With all the stuff going around that Standard English aligns down terribly, what made you do Standard English?

I had to choose Standard English because I did badly in my School certificate, and as a result, I was forced to pick it.
Im sick of all these gay 10 and 11'ers, they are soo fvcing stupid.
Seriously what type of a question?
I did english standard because im SHIT at english, You dumb fvck

Blaz-357

HSC
Man OP, i feel so sorry for you, i got 80 in the SC at my school, which was near the bottom...probably like bottom 20% of the cohort....but i still got to do advance and now im coming top 10 ^_^, ye and i totally agree SC english is not a reflection of how one will preform in the HSC

shady145

Banned
HSC
standard is so gay. stuck with all these slackers who dont wanna learn. I wanna do Advanced instead, and plus, I think there would be more insurance in doing advanced than standard. standard is shit.
standard is shit... when your half yearlies come, compare what u get to what ppl got in adv... i came 3rd overall in the common paper XD
everyone is so shit in std english except for the top 2(at my school), everyone else is so far behind... find other ppl in the top who wanna do good and just keep trying to motivate each other, this is what it was like at my school but there are so many dumb shits it gets hard

shady145

Banned
HSC
Im sick of all these gay 10 and 11'ers, they are soo fvcing stupid.
Seriously what type of a question?
I did english standard because im SHIT at english, You dumb fvck
calm down? this type of question is asking why people did std Duh and your response is only 1 of a few reasons why people chose it. this thread it to discuss those reasons XD

shuttle_bus5

HSC
Amazing
rofl

But seriously, I'm doing standard next year because: A) I don't wanna do a shakespeare text in Advanced B) I'm kinda lazy C) I would prefer to come rank 1-3 in standard that 10+ in advanced D)I generally hate english
Shakespeare is brilliant. I always here standard kids saying how glad they are that they don't study Shakespeare; they are idiots. You obviously can't appreciate his work as a piece of literature which is why you will be in the bottom half of the state for english. Good luck coming top in standard buddy.

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
Shakespeare is brilliant. I always here standard kids saying how glad they are that they don't study Shakespeare; they are idiots. You obviously can't appreciate his work as a piece of literature which is why you will be in the bottom half of the state for english. Good luck coming top in standard buddy.
No need to be so uppity.

stefgi32

Meh
HSC
N/A
That's just your teacher, who is obviously a pothead. She thinks way too hard about grass.
LOL at the pun, which emphasizes the fact my English teacher was talking so much about grass, taking to a different level suggesting she is talking about another kind of grass and smoking it..:rolleyes:..I'll be paying out English Advanced like that forever because of her, she was that horrible. I don't know if that was her worst tangent, or the time she actually talked to us about how PRIVILEGED we were to have cushions (which are really just furry carpet-looking things) in our chairs as underpriveleged schools do not have cushions..I'll admit, the schools I went to generally had wooden chairs and stuff, but come on....SHE WAS GIVING US A LECTURE ABOUT CHAIRS!!!! Ugh, does anyone have an awesome advanced english teacher to brag about?

It is a shame, because I actually do enjoy Shakespeare (loved studying Macbeth and Romeo and Juliet), although that might've been because our text book had the Shakespearian text in one page and the text translated in modern text next to it which made it a hell of a lot easier..Cambridge seems to be the book most schools use which I find to be 'bleh'. =/ Having said that, I did get a band 5 in the English school certificate if that says anything....

Monsterman

HSC
No matter what do advanced english.. unless you are coming last..

tinker_bell

HSC
I chose Standard english, because 1) i hate english 2) shakespeare is alright but i dont understand his texts at all 3) prefer to top standard english than fail english.

it is crap u were forced to do standard. one girl at my school didnt even do the sc, and was allowed to do extension1 english. lol :lol:
We are studying "the namesake" atm.

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
The school forced me to do it because I didn't get a Band 6!!! I got 87!!!! which is so stupid, because a) the SC doesn't matter and b) 87 is not too bad.
stupid school. had to pick up 4unit maths coz of the school
That's terrible. I stuffed up my SC English and ended up getting 89% - but I chose Advanced English and ending up ranking 1st in year 12.

Essentially the SC means nothing. I think what your school did was wrong.

posey-rose

The lost member
HSC
i did terrible in the school certificate! my highest was for english which was 85... yet thankfully they allowed me to do 3 unit english. you're school sounds really strict. My school practically based what you could do for the hsc on your work ethic in class and all the jazz.

heaps of my friends dropped to standard thinking it would be less work. but it looks like a heavy work load either way.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
standard english is intellectually unsatisfying.
its so boring
i hate it

Enchantress91

HSC
Because:

1. I knew that I could easily come first in the year in Standard (and I did :tongue:, with minimal study/effort and lol now everyone thinks I'm so smart while I'm not really) while this chick who chose advanced was like an unbeatable English genius.

2. I've never been fond of shakespeare.

3. Standard had awesome teachers, especially my teacher whereas the Advanced lady was wicked.

4. The advanced class was full of competitive smart arses and I hated most of them.

5. All of my friends (except 1) were in Standard. My Standard English class was so extremely close-knit that it was almost like a family. Lol and the teacher was a motherly + witty + intelligent + lovable lady who genuinely cared about her students.:tongue:

Schoey93

HSC
Some Standard English students did indeed study Shakespeare as a prescribed text. And in my opinion, Shakespeare is the best English literature you can find. I get frustrated by the Bard's inane cleverness and ye English of Olde (lol), but in the end, I love the plays and I love watching them.

Shakespeare is only boring if you just read it and never see it performed.

Schoey93

HSC
The school forced me to do it because I didn't get a Band 6!!! I got 87!!!! which is so stupid, because a) the SC doesn't matter and b) 87 is not too bad.
stupid school. had to pick up 4unit maths coz of the school
lol, your school cannot force you to do a certain level of English. My principal tried to bully me into doing English Extension 1. "What are you doing Hospitality for instead of English Extension?" asked she.
"I love to cook," I replied simply. "I gave up on doing English Extension for the sake of cooking or hospitality."
"Well no. That's not right."
"I'm not changing my mind."
"Maybe you will. Talk to Miss Munro. Working in a commercial kitchen is a hard slog."
At the end of the interview:
"I'll leave my subject choices as is, thanks."

(I later decided to drop Studies of Religion II, take Studies of Religion I and Mathematics and do Legal Studies instead of PDHPE as they run at the same time or 'are in the same line'.)

You should have stuck up for yourself dude. English Standard sucks without Shakespeare, which in the past three months, after reading Shakespeare's Othello, watching the film O and reading Charles Lamb's children's adaptation of Othello (not very child-friendly in actuality), I have grown to love. I'm reading Hamlet now to get a head start for the HSC Module B: Critical Study of Text. I'm loving it and John Marsden's Hamlet is good too. :)

jet

Banned
HSC
Some Standard English students did indeed study Shakespeare as a prescribed text. And in my opinion, Shakespeare is the best English literature you can find. I get frustrated by the Bard's inane cleverness and ye English of Olde (lol), but in the end, I love the plays and I love watching them.

Shakespeare is only boring if you just read it and never see it performed.
Actually, in the HSC English Syllabus and prescriptions, the standard english students do not study Shakespeare; they study four types of prescribed text, one each of:
- prose fiction
- drama
- poetry
- nonfiction or film or media or multimedia texts

Advanced English students must study five types, the extra type being Shakespearean drama.

http://boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/english_syl.pdf
http://boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/eng_stg6_prescrpt_0912.pdf

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
standard english is intellectually unsatisfying.
its so boring
i hate it
I somewhat agree with Schoey93's post. I don't believe your school can stop you from choosing Advanced English, particularly since 87 is not a bad mark at all. People in my school who didn't care in the SC and got like low 80s came first in the state in English Extension 1.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
The school chooses what English we do for the next 2 years. There are 2 adv english classes and the rest are standard. So I think they choose the top 60 students to adv english.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)