Why do people look down on UTS business so much? (1 Viewer)

Bridgemonkey

HSC
Just wondering, cause I might want to do this course
Is it because companies don't consider it as prestigious or its lack of job prospects compared to other uni's such as UNSW, Usyd, Macq

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
UTS Business is pretty good. But maybe some people look down because say... UNSW's Commerce program is more highly favoured?

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Just wondering, cause I might want to do this course
Is it because companies don't consider it as prestigious or its lack of job prospects compared to other uni's such as UNSW, Usyd, Macq
Nine times out of ten when I hear somebody talk about "prestige", they have no experience in applying and getting a job in the world in commerce. It seems to be either prelim or HSC students who haven't even started uni or people with nothing on their resumes who then resort to talking up their university as if it's some ultimate free pass into a job.

Does bias exist against some universities? Yes it does and I'm not going to pretend that it doesn't, especially in the super competitive finance roles. But guess what, people are also going to be biased against you because of your skin colour, the way you dress, the way you speak and so forth. You will never truly escape it. Is this bias wide spread and common? In my opinion, it's hardly as profound as people like to make it out to be (unless, like I mentioned above, you're aiming for something super competitive like investment banking).

Others may or may not disagree with me, that's their opinion and they're entitled to it. I can only base my opinions off my personal experience in finding and gaining work and that of people I know.

Last edited:

ali-fc

HSC
id love to do a business degree at UTS woo

enoilgam

HSC
Nine times out of ten when I hear somebody talk about "prestige", they have no experience in applying and getting a job in the world in commerce. It seems to be either prelim or HSC students who haven't even started uni or people with nothing on their resumes who then resort to talking up their university as if it's some ultimate free pass into a job.

Does bias exist against some universities? Yes it does and I'm not going to pretend that it doesn't, especially in the super competitive finance roles. But guess what, people are also going to be biased against you because of your skin colour, the way you dress, the way you speak and so forth. You will never truly escape it. Is this bias wide spread and common? In my opinion, it's hardly as profound as people like to make it out to be (unless, like I mentioned above, you're aiming for something super competitive like investment banking).

Others may or may not disagree with me, that's their opinion and they're entitled to it. I can only base my opinions off my personal experience in finding and gaining work and that of people I know.
Couldnt agree more with this.

RookieLaw

Audit.
HSC

This is absolutely spot on.

Johno23

HSC
N/A

Unlike your skin colour, you have a choice as to where you obtain a tertiary qualification. Why not control this bias in your favour?

mirakon

nigga
HSC

Excellent post

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Unlike your skin colour, you have a choice as to where you obtain a tertiary qualification. Why not control this bias in your favour?
Because as I said, from my experience the extent of this "bias" is largely overstated unless you're going for a highly coveted finance role (which I am not).

is a roflcopter
HSC
this is more spot on, if you had the option, why not?

Johno23

HSC
N/A
Because as I said, from my experience the extent of this "bias" is largely overstated unless you're going for a highly coveted finance role (which I am not).
What would be the cons of going to a more 'prestigious' university? Logically you'd think that even a small positive difference would be worth it, seeing as though you're not losing anything by going to the more prestigious university.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
What would be the cons of going to a more 'prestigious' university? Logically you'd think that even a small positive difference would be worth it, seeing as though you're not losing anything by going to the more prestigious university.
Because end of the day, it doesn't matter. If you want to go to a more prestigious university, because you think it'll better your chances, go for it. But it shouldn't be your main criteria for picking your uni at all.

umm what

Banned
HSC
N/A
Because end of the day, it doesn't matter. If you want to go to a more prestigious university, because you think it'll better your chances, go for it. But it shouldn't be your main criteria for picking your uni at all.
U mean uni doesn't really matter?

umm what

Banned
HSC
N/A
In the strictest sense, no it doesn't; but I mostly mean the uni you choose doesn't really matter.
The reason I want to to go to UTS is coz they give you 1 yr work experience....UNSW does...but i fink its 60 days or somthing....

+ UTS is morre pratical.....which one should i pick that will help me gettin a job too....? (Engineering)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
The reason I want to to go to UTS is coz they give you 1 yr work experience....UNSW does...but i fink its 60 days or somthing....

+ UTS is morre pratical.....which one should i pick that will help me gettin a job too....? (Engineering)
You're hijacking someone else's thread. Go make a new one, and people can help you there. :)

is a roflcopter
HSC
then what should the main criteria be?

lets not fuck around, getting a job is the natural sequence of things after university for most people, so you would be doing yourself a disservice if you had the choice and picked something suboptimal

ie, if the OP had an offer from UNSW Commerce and UTS Business, it would seem like an easy choice for most people.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
then what should the main criteria be?

lets not fuck around, getting a job is the natural sequence of things after university for most people, so you would be doing yourself a disservice if you had the choice and picked something suboptimal

ie, if the OP had an offer from UNSW Commerce and UTS Business, it would seem like an easy choice for most people.
That's all good and well but I think the overarching message here is to not rely on prestige as a free pass into a job. You'll find that many students have the mentality that if they go to University X, then they just have to maintain decent grades to get a job. Unfortunately, students who go to "lesser" universities have figured this out, so they make themselves more marketable by doing extracurricular activities and the like.

is a roflcopter
HSC
That's all good and well but I think the overarching message here is to not rely on prestige as a free pass into a job. You'll find that many students have the mentality that if they go to University X, then they just have to maintain decent grades to get a job. Unfortunately, students who go to "lesser" universities have figured this out, so they make themselves more marketable by doing extracurricular activities and the like.
well if people want to do that then thats just their own fault, but the opposite is what typically happens and UNSW and USYD probably has way more super enthusiastic ambitious kids with shitloads different extracurricular activities,etcetc.

whats more misleading is "lesser" university kids thinking they have the same opportunity to score the job as the other guy, just because they got good grades, good other stuff. Because not everyone at UNSW/USYD fucks around living off their uni's name and when its internship interview time, you see the employment statistics kick in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)