why do people think B arts = unemployment?? (1 Viewer)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Graney said:
But to what level do you reduce the complexity of 'doing' something? If you agree you do not have to be paid, do not have to have a specific regularity or timetable to your work, then where do you draw the line to say someone is not part of a profession.

As an example: A man who stood in his backyard with an old telescope and made observations and study of the night sky, however irregularly, even monthly or less, would be called an amatuer astronomer.

Someone who did the same, with a masters degree, and slightly more precision would be called an expert astronomer (not professional ofcourse). Even if they only make the most meagre of study and observation.

The above is an astronomer. Academic study in this case is definetly enough. Amatuers regularly make major discoveries.

Now, how is this different from my previous example of someone who provides free legal counsel in an informal fashion calling themselves a lawyer? Are you proposing they need to be employed within a part-time or full-time framework, a number of hours per week, to claim they are within a profession?

No.

So electricians, plumbers, mechanics, chefs, tradesmen of all sorts who own their own business are not entitled to claim this as their role, just because they are self employed?
With lawyers, specifically, you get the issue of professional regulation (I'm not sure how else to put it)... that is, there are standards and guidelines within the profession that you have to adhere to before you can call yourself a lawyer and it be legitimate, rather than you giving some legal advice to a friend on the side and passing yourself off as a lawyer.

Gay Captain

HSC
So what exactly does a self-employed philosopher do?

lol "think I'll call up a philosopher to work out the meaning of life for me, between getting my pipes fixed by the plumber and getting the car fixed by a mechanic"

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Touche, I concede your point, since I do not know enough about law, whether someone could be fully licenced and meet all regulation, legally representing someone on a completely casual basis, without ever being employed or paid in any sense.

I'm sure they are many titles which can not be claimed without gaining traditional employment in a company, but I think the majority of careers are like the astronomer example, and it is hard to draw a distinct uniform definition of what defines an individual as belonging to a profession.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Graney said:
Touche, I concede your point, since I do not know enough about law, whether someone could be fully licenced and meet all regulation, legally representing someone on a completely casual basis, without ever being employed or paid in any sense.

I'm sure they are many titles which can not be claimed without gaining traditional employment in a company, but I think the majority of careers are like the astronomer example, and it is hard to draw a distinct uniform definition of what defines an individual as belonging to a profession.
Yes, possibly. I guess it depends whether you see belonging to a profession as extending to the people who do certain activities as a "hobby" (but not as their main job) or not. E.g. I'm involved in community theatre as a hobby but I'd never call myself an actor. And so on.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Graney said:

This is true.

And to tie it all back to the topic, Arts creates opportunities into the non-traditional employment sphere. This is why some people think that it has no prospects, because there is no direct path from arts into a specific strand of work. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. Check out the arts websites from various uni's to see what the degree can do for you.

Borbor

HSC
For B Commerce (Liberal Studies), exactly how much science is there? And what does it involve?

I'm interested in BArts, BCommerce but not really into the science fields ;)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
beentherdunthat said:
A graduate of medicine is a doctor.
An accounting graduate is an accountant.
Until he chooses to be employed as something else at a permanent position, then he remains what he worked all those damn years for {and even then he is still qualified as an accountant, doctor etc}. HE Has the skills and the knowledge that qualify him to be what he is.
what if the accounting graduate decided to study further and get another degree in say.....medicine. is that individual labelled an accountant or a doctor?

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
wrong_turn said:
what if the accounting graduate decided to study further and get another degree in say.....medicine. is that individual labelled an accountant or a doctor?
NOoooooooOOOOOOOooooooooooooOOOOOOOoooooooooo:eek:
Now they're gonna fight for hours over this:(

Borbor

HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
Only 2 Science Subjects! I guess if you arn't that into science (like me) you can use the 2 subjects for Psychology (like me). I heard that it is mainly essay writing.

Rhetorical question?
I just checked out the USyd page and the combos with all the diff. majors looks sick.

One that caught my eye

Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies) with majors in Marketing, Finance and Spanish

That sounds exactly like the thing I wanna do in Uni! (replace the Spanish with German)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
Only 2 Science Subjects! I guess if you arn't that into science (like me) you can use the 2 subjects for Psychology (like me). I heard that it is mainly essay writing.

Rhetorical question?
What language do you think you're going to do?

Borbor

HSC
I had another look at the USyd site but now I want to know

What's the difference between Bachler of Commerce/Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies) and what are the pros and cons?

I figured the double degree takes 5 years as opposed to 4 years but other than that...

P

pLuvia

Liberal studies you get to study units from science and arts faculty and get to major or minor in the science/arts units where as the other one, I think you can only do science as an elective not a major

Nickytoto

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
So thereare ppl that tell me not to do a B Arts because it leads to unemployment lol.

If anyone else agrees, how is this the case?

there are so many possibe majors in the B arts degree and all of them I could think are useful in getting various jobs..

thanks
If you take a look at the good uni guide, you note that unemployment for creative arts after graduating from across all unis is hovering around somewhere like 40%. I'm too lazy to check.

Our world doesn't need artists the same way that they need health professionals and educators. Very, very simple,

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Nickytoto said:
If you take a look at the good uni guide, you note that unemployment for creative arts after graduating from across all unis is hovering around somewhere like 40%. I'm too lazy to check.

Our world doesn't need artists the same way that they need health professionals and educators. Very, very simple,
fucking lllllllllllol

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Nickytoto said:

pLuvia said:
You've got the wrong idea of a B.Arts lol, you're thinking B. Fine Arts there's a big difference

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Nickytoto said:
Our world doesn't need you in the same way that we need people with IQ's above 40.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Nickytoto said:
If you take a look at the good uni guide, you note that unemployment for creative arts after graduating from across all unis is hovering around somewhere like 40%.
if you take a look at the good uni guide, you note that an arts degree isn't 'creative arts'.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Nickytoto said:

Art != Creative or High Art.

Art = General Humanities and/or Social Sciences.

Quit while you're ahead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)