• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Why Do Teachers Complain? (1 Viewer)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
oh ok well i'm pretty sure they get paid the same, the government wouldn't go 'hey, you teach in a selective school, i'll give you more money.' at private schools they get paid more because the teachers are paid by the SCHOOL, not the government

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Oh Ok, i just thought they did simply because they teach at a more prestigious school known as "selective high school"

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by LaZy_KoReAn
Oh Ok, i just thought they did simply because they teach at a more prestigious school known as "selective high school"
:) nah, i suppose it's prestigious in our eyes, but it's just a normal state school as far as everything past the students go

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Originally posted by iambored
:) nah, i suppose it's prestigious in our eyes, but it's just a normal state school as far as everything past the students go
Oh ok, is because i never been to any selective schools i won't know :p

They shouldnt complain, like i mean, they get the same days off that we do, so that makes bout 8-10 weeks a year off for them! They went into the job knowing what they get, and what they dont get, they have to understand that, of they dont, they can quit as far as im concerned. I wanted to be a teacher to teach kids/ teens and to see how one person can make a difference with them! Thats all, my mum told me not to do it cause of the crap money...but as far as im concerned, money isnt everything, and to alot of the teachers nowadays, money is everything, hence the strike..which is quite saddening...

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I think good teachers deserve more pay.... the shit they have to deal with.... the work after hours. I owe a lot to my fantastic teachers, they have donated so much of their time.... teachers are pretty damn important, they shape your future in so many ways! Unless they start getting better pay etc, there will only be crap teachers left in the profession because the good ones will be able to get better paying jobs with better conditions....

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
They also have other classes to take if another teacher is sick, like doing the work of another teacher, l don't even think they get paid for it. They also don't get the best lunch time with detention.

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
My teacher, my favourite tecaher, he's the owner of a business HSC study conferences, and yet doing this in his spare time he also finds time to sit down with us after school to help us with anything we need, gives up his lunchtime to go through problems. There are tecahers that should be paid more than others and l think that they should do that.

When schools hire teachers, they should grade them and that grade symbolises what pay they hsould recieve (just an idea, even though its not a good one)

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
I agree wholeheartedly, teachers are worth more than they get. They do deserve the pay rise. I'm just questioning their action this close to the HSC. A great deal of teachers (especially those year 12 ones) have done a motherload of extra work that they aren't paid for. D&T, Art, Industrial Technology and some LOTE teachers (who came out to the speaking test to wish their students luck) have done a lot for us so we can be better off.

My elder brother just started teaching this year. He rents and lives alone. His salary is fine for that, though, the question of teachers with families, mortgages and other things comes into consideration. Can a family of 5, with a mortgage on their house, a car loan, and who are sending their kids to Catholic schools, even with two incomes, be supported if both parents were teachers?

All those who assume teachers get paid what they're worth, haven't taken the time to appreciate the hard work and the effort they put into their job. Passion alone doesn't pay the bills.

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
My teacher stays up late at night to print off booklets he has made for us. We didn't ask him to, any other teacher would make us write out the entire thing.
Sometimes u find a teacher thats just worth the extra 25%, but then again others aren't.

There was this program on SBS, to show what one teacher does in one day that she has to work.

She gets up at 5:30, wakes her kids up gets them ready for school, takes them to the childcare and the other to her friends house to take to school. She then gets to school and in the time between her getting to school and the bell, she gets together all of her work for the first period, which can take up to 20 minutes. First period, she tecahes, Second period she is supposed to have off but a fellow teacher is away, so she has to fill in.

Recess, a student comes to her asking for help with some work, she doens't end up having any recess.

Third Period, class. Lunch, detention. This is the only time of the day she can eat and mark work from the first three periods.

Fourth Period she was planning to get all the planning for the next days classes done but she instead is called to a meeting which goes until after the bell. She stays at school until 5PM planning as much work for tomorrow that she can at school. Picks her children up form the child care centre and her friends.

She gets home and until 11PM she plans work, prints things off, double checks and triple checks. Gets the car ready. During this time she has a quick dinner put hers kids to sleep (barely even seeing them that day) and goes to sleep herself.

I think that really sucks. I know that this is only for one teacher, but it could also be for over a hundred.

Last edited:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by LaZy_KoReAn
that doesnt mean they are any more qualified or better teachers though..just the students are more competitive..
although i disagree with the difference in catholic/private/public school wages, i think if you are a teacher you should get paid the same no matter where you teach.

is a roflcopter
HSC
i think there should be yearly evaluations of teachers performance by the administration, their peers and their students

because some teachers in my school just weren't to be teachers

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
but some students can be immature and say that their teacher sucks just because they get low marks or just because they odn't like the tecaher full stop.

is a roflcopter
HSC
true
but then all you gotta do is chuck away the silly answers

at year 12, i reckon most of the people have an amicable relationship with their teachers, unless some shits really wrong

so i doubt we would waste our time spewing bullshit about some teachers sexual preferences when we could be making legitimate complaints

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
But how would you know if the "silly answers" were really the truth?

There are some people at my school who l know would do that, for the rest, its up to them if they like the teacher or not.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
i disagree with the difference in catholic/private/public school wages, i think if you are a teacher you should get paid the same no matter where you teach.
that's true but they are different school systems. so the government pays the schools they own the amount they want to, and the other schools own themselves so they pay their teachers what they want to
Originally posted by sarah_#1_eel
but some students can be immature and say that their teacher sucks just because they get low marks or just because they odn't like the tecaher full stop.
and some students hear one person say some thing about a teacher, and decide to follow, and it's like a chain reaction until almost everyone has been brainwashed and is saying something that isn't true

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I think though if they don't give them a pay raise the quality of teachers will continue to decline in public schools. If smart and enthusiastic teachers can earn a lot more in either the private sector or in other careers, then they will continue to leave and public schools will be left with the dodgy teachers. They need to increase the pay in order to increase the callibre of public school teachers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)