why do you guys diss arts degrees (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
daiana said:
but i think it's silly to judge a course by its uai

it doesn't necessarily present the difficulty; the content nor the career prospects.

and i think it's also silly to go to do "arts" or "Uws" just for the sake of going. it's like guaranteed dropout! (i mean, wouldnt you be a lil bit off-focus, and lacking quite a bit of direction? that being said, you may be successful in other terms though)
lol sweetie i think you need to rephrase that before people start telling you off, especially since u mentioned uws and guarunteed drop out in the same sentence, im sure thats not what u meant though...?? hehe

anyway urrm well i do an arts degree, im doin bba/arts-psych and it only lacks direction if you don't choose to major in anything like economics, politics, sociology, comp etc .... and even if they didn't major in anything, u'de still be pretty dandy to me

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
daiana said:
*death stare*

i didn't lower or degrade the overall image of BA! i was presenting what can be achieved in an arts degree!

you are so rude
Cry me a damn river. I was referring to you addressing everyone else as 'stupid people' and 'silly dodos', asking if we were 'bruised yet', and padding out your post with inane horse shit like 'so ner'. It doesn't exactly speak volumes about the degree you are doing if that's the best way you can present yourself.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
hfis said:
Cry me a damn river. I was referring to you addressing everyone else as 'stupid people' and 'silly dodos', asking if we were 'bruised yet', and padding out your post with inane horse shit like 'so ner'. It doesn't exactly speak volumes about the degree you are doing if that's the best way you can present yourself.
lol
calm down

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
As was mentioned in another thread, I think Arts assignments are much harder than other ones. Especially because of critical thinking and research. They're also bigger than most other faculties' assignments.

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
natstar said:
In terms of Arts, UWS has the 2nd best psych school in Australia
really? then which is the best? (did u do psych subjects there? how was it?)

and i wasn't implying that those at uws are dropouts, what i was trying to say is that there are some people who to uni for the sake of going to uni. (*hey clairegirl, i checked.. i didnt put uws and dropouts in the same sentence in the earlier post... they were in the same paragraph actually hehe) as in they don't have a real definite goal e.g. i want to do B Ec at UWS/Usyd..wherever. i'm sure we've all met people who go to uni so that they can tell people such as their parents... "i go to uni". and they go to do a course that can accept their uai, and i mean, if they don't have an interest for that course (whatever the uai), then the chances of them becoming a dropout are very high as they don't have real motivation to complete their semester let alone their degree. although, they may wish to pursue some further education say like at TAFE, or perhaps they actually grow an interest in their degree and become very successful.

hfis, i'm not presenting myself in the best/worst way in terms of what degree i'm pursuing. i'm not a reflection of a BA. nobody is... because it's very flexible and versatile! i have no obligatoin to speak volumes about BA, because one's prejudice can distort everything!

i know it isn't the most prestigeous degree, but it has a lot to offer. and sometimes, its just a lot more appealing to some than others. and perhaps some people can achieve their goals through a BA, whatever it may be.

then again, whatever degree u get... doesnt matter.. it's experience that matters.

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
why'd u go choose to go to uws instead? is it because of location? or the actual course and its structure?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Location and because i can do law at uws lol
but really.. even if i had been accepted into unsw law i wouldn't have accepted it, i mean i just live closer.
If you live closer to unsw, then i'd suggest going there.

Conspirocy

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I rejected UNSW to go to UWS so u kno dun believe what everyone says.
well i went to UNSW instead of Sydney basically cause UNSW was closer as well... but look it just depends on course structure what someone likes...personally i wouldnt do an arts degree and most of the UAIs for arts courses reflect my oppionoin is the general view...that doesnt mean that ppl doing arts are wasting time just they have different views of what is interesting...i just dont like it when people go around saying ohhh arts is more interesting has more variety because maybe i didnt do arts because "I" found it boring.

HSC
firstly..........i have nothing against people who do B arts

but on the other hand, the argument of people going to uni not for careers is a bullshit argument. It may apply for girls or mature age students who either plan on marrying and not working or are retired, but u find me the 18 yr old boy out of high skool who is like MEH, fuck worrying about a job. I am not going to uni to get a job so i can support my family and put food on the table, i just wanna FREAKING LEARN.

maybe in some fantasy place but those of us who r realistic have to think about finding a job when we graduate. To those of you who dont have to worry about working when u graduate, and are simply at uni cos u want to learn about an area of interest, i envy you.

mischaa

HSC
N/A
#4 said:

but on the other hand, the argument of people going to uni not for careers is a bullshit argument. It may apply for girls or mature age students who either plan on marrying and not working or are retired, but u find me the 18 yr old boy out of high skool who is like MEH, fuck worrying about a job. I am not going to uni to get a job so i can support my family and put food on the table, i just wanna FREAKING LEARN.

maybe in some fantasy place but those of us who r realistic have to think about finding a job when we graduate. To those of you who dont have to worry about working when u graduate, and are simply at uni cos u want to learn about an area of interest, i envy you.

Sometimes its family pressure....like mine. An education isn't complete without a Uni degree. I'm told if I don't know what I want to do with the rest of my life then do an Arts, Commerce or a Science degree- that way, I have some options.

I think everyone, even girls, have employment in mind when they start tertiary education. However, not all of us want to or are able to make a life long commitment to a course which locks us into a Profession.

I think there is a difference between employment and career. Education gets you employment. But to build a career in a given field takes passsion for the discipline.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
#4 said:

Why wait until uni ends? You can find plenty of jobs without a degree. If all you want to do is put food on the table, then uni is the last thing you need, since it'll set you back. :)

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
I always jokingly diss arts degrees, but in reality they are a really good idea.

HSC
poloktim said:
Why wait until uni ends? You can find plenty of jobs without a degree. If all you want to do is put food on the table, then uni is the last thing you need, since it'll set you back. :)
if i didnt get the marks for uni thats exactly what i'd be doing, but since i got the opportunity, why not use it. I mean there is a difference between been a bricklayer putting food on the table and an investment banker putting food on the gold plated table.

i wanna give myself the opportunity to actually live my life, not just exist and worry aout money all the time

Last edited:

HSC
mischaa said:
I think everyone, even girls, have employment in mind when they start tertiary education. However, not all of us want to or are able to make a life long commitment to a course which locks us into a Profession.
i couldnt agree more.........which is precisely the reason i chose a combined degree, cos i didnt and still dont know which aspect of eng/com i prefer

Generator

HSC
N/A
#4 said:

Try to remember that we all don't have the same set of 'life goals'... For some the idea isn't to put better food on the table for the family and to move beyond financial hardship but rather to learn and then see what happens, and I can assure you that just because a person may be at uni to learn rather than 'skill-up' does not mean that they are free of money troubles and/or willing to let their future slide.

Money may be the driving force in today's world, but it isn't what drives each and every individual (even if they aren't wealthy or well off).

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
natstar said:
He's not a reject, he got accepted into a few places (im sure), just not ones he wanted to go too. So he is not a reject. Anyway about 3/4 of the people who even apply for med get rejected, so whats ur point?
If he was rejected by an institution, he qualifies as a reject.

j4x0r

HSC
[Shadow] said:
yea, no one really cares about med rejects either
his/her point? no one cares bout med rejects, just like how lexicoface cares bout art

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)