• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Why does a cohort have to drag you down, even if you did good in external exams? (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nonya2000

HSC
broski what if you're sick on the day 😭
womp womp, deal with it. If you get in a car crash, you can walk to school or ask someone to send you. If I had monkey pox, I would still go to school to do the hsc cause I want an actual mark - not a teacher estimated mark.

hscccc

HSC
you could use the same logic tho

since your rank isn't proportional to your ability, why would you external mark be?
It's sad that your rank dropped due to you being sick, however, you could be sick on the day of the HSC? Who's to save you there? In that sense, the HSC or any exam isn't reflective of your ability.
sure you can say that, but I disagree for my personal situation. Im likely to get a mid 90 in that subject externally and wouldve done so in the trial if i didnt have the misadventure - which only impacted 1 section of the exam. Regardless, youre still allowed to be a bit upset with yourself and your rank. Like i said u do need to move on and just focus on getting a high exam mark.

Also you do have to acknowledge the hsc system does have its flaws. People with lower socio-economic status in rural and regional areas are impacted by this, thats literally just a fact. And sure, you can look online for resources, but if you dont have any support from your teachers or school you are disadvantaged. While the idea of internal assessments going towards your final mark is good, ranking peers against each other also is flawed tbh

ihatehsc24

HSC
this could be good, except for the fact that some internals are easier based on the school, so it’s hard to make it fair. ranking gives you the same regardless of how hard the internals are.
Yeah ig that makes sense, and the difficulty part, I didn't consider when I replied but yeah I get it now, and I agree with both you and WeiWeiMan

WeiWeiMan

HSC
sure you can say that, but I disagree for my personal situation. Im likely to get a mid 90 in that subject externally and wouldve done so in the trial if i didnt have the misadventure - which only impacted 1 section of the exam. Regardless, youre still allowed to be a bit upset with yourself and your rank. Like i said u do need to move on and just focus on getting a high exam mark.

Also you do have to acknowledge the hsc system does have its flaws. People with lower socio-economic status in rural and regional areas are impacted by this, thats literally just a fact. And sure, you can look online for resources, but if you dont have any support from your teachers or school you are disadvantaged. While the idea of internal assessments going towards your final mark is good, ranking peers against each other also is flawed tbh
yeah you're likely to get a mid 90 externally and I'm not saying you aren't but there's 0 guarantee that you are. If you're sick on the day of the HSC and mess up that likely mid 90 isn't so likely anymore.

ofc the hsc system has its flaws. everyone knows people of lower ses are disadvantaged. there are literally scholarships and extra bonus points for people of low ses for uni. performing poorly on trials relative to your cohort and lacking support for teachers and school are not the same thing.

jane1820

HSC
I went to the third lowest skl in the state from yrs 7-9 n now im at selective for a 400-something ranked partially selective skl
i was comparing the notes n lessons that my classmates took last yr (for yr 9) n i can confidently say that the tests n assignments there (my old skl) were SO MUCH easier
they try to make the assessments easier for students to pass (considering the highest ATAR was 86.3 last yr n only 3 band 6s across the whole yr) but the problem is w the teachers they just dont teach
im not gonna go into it in details but what im saying is tho i dont go to a ‘wow’ skl currently higher ranked skls always have harder assessments to those low ranked
so yes an 80% in james ruse does not have the same VALUE as an 80% in mount druitt (eg)
yes they’re both the same marks and yes towards the end of the day they will both have the same internal mark but the value of that mark the effort put into that mark is wayyyyyyy off n not comparable
i used to come first in roughly every single subject at my old skl for 3 yrs (eg i came first in math for 3 consecutive yrs) but now im top 5 for 2 subjects top 10 for rest (notice the difference?)
yes also ik its not my business considering im an 26er who is in yr 10 and ‘has nothing to worry abt’ but i just wanted to clear this message w personal experiences

hscccc

HSC
yeah you're likely to get a mid 90 externally and I'm not saying you aren't but there's 0 guarantee that you are. If you're sick on the day of the HSC and mess up that likely mid 90 isn't so likely anymore.

ofc the hsc system has its flaws. everyone knows people of lower ses are disadvantaged. there are literally scholarships and extra bonus points for people of low ses for uni. performing poorly on trials relative to your cohort and lacking support for teachers and school are not the same thing.
i dont feel like arguing about this with you? You dont actually know me, my performance in that subject OR what happened to me during my exam. Youre also pointing out the obvious, nothing in life is guaranteed, you can walk outside and get hit by a bus or something.

and i am aware of extra considerations for those with ses - people were just arguing that the system isnt flawed earlier, it wasnt a direct response to you. Those are considerations provided BECAUSE the system is flawed.

Honestly we should all stop engaging w this thread, hes had his complain abt his rank, yall have come in and had your say. theres no point in it.

Last edited:

nonya2000

HSC
I went to the third lowest skl in the state from yrs 7-9 n now im at selective for a 400-something ranked partially selective skl
i was comparing the notes n lessons that my classmates took last yr (for yr 9) n i can confidently say that the tests n assignments there (my old skl) were SO MUCH easier
they try to make the assessments easier for students to pass (considering the highest ATAR was 86.3 last yr n only 3 band 6s across the whole yr) but the problem is w the teachers they just dont teach
im not gonna go into it in details but what im saying is tho i dont go to a ‘wow’ skl currently higher ranked skls always have harder assessments to those low ranked
so yes an 80% in james ruse does not have the same VALUE as an 80% in mount druitt (eg)
yes they’re both the same marks and yes towards the end of the day they will both have the same internal mark but the value of that mark the effort put into that mark is wayyyyyyy off n not comparable
i used to come first in roughly every single subject at my old skl for 3 yrs (eg i came first in math for 3 consecutive yrs) but now im top 5 for 2 subjects top 10 for rest (notice the difference?)
yes also ik its not my business considering im an 26er who is in yr 10 and ‘has nothing to worry abt’ but i just wanted to clear this message w personal experiences
My school is also a dumb school. There also was an abrupt jump in difficulty from year 10 to preliminary math advanced. Year 7-10's curriculum doesn't have to be standardised, therefore schools follow their own curriculum and choose to do either 5.1 or 5.3 to cater for the average students ability, with smarter schools doing 5.3 or extension math content in year 10 like james ruse. My school only did a bit of 5.3, never touching circle geometry and polynomials.

jonolad69

HSC
My school is also a dumb school. There also was an abrupt jump in difficulty from year 10 to preliminary math advanced. Year 7-10's curriculum doesn't have to be standardised, therefore schools follow their own curriculum and choose to do either 5.1 or 5.3 to cater for the average students ability, with smarter schools doing 5.3 or extension math content in year 10 like james ruse. My school only did a bit of 5.3, never touching circle geometry and polynomials.
doesnt that make u dumb if ur doing bad in a dumb school

i think we have actually found the solution. you're not as smart as you think you really are......

nonya2000

HSC
doesnt that make u dumb if ur doing bad in a dumb school

i think we have actually found the solution. you're not as smart as you think you really are......
My trials were 85, the dumb bitch got 74 (11 percent difference) , I am scared that I will take the average of this person instead of the person who got 90.

jane1820

HSC
i mean even now for senior yrs
my sister went to my old skl w me but for 2 yrs only (i stayed one more yr) n she is still in contact with them n (not to speak badly of my sister) she is passing physics by 5% (she got 55% - she doesnt go physics tutoring) n doesnt understand a lot of the concepts but when they sent her their physics prelim she was able to get a 75% easily just by how easy they make the tests
its just a fact but yet again it doesnt work bc the skl has been bottom 5 for awhile now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 2)