Why does english standard and advance scale the same according to ATAR calculator??? (1 Viewer)

chrisong1

HSC
N/A
Hey guys I was just wandering why english standard and advance english scale the same according to the ATAR calculator 2011.

I always here these stuff saying that english advance scales excellent and that doing standard english is fail because of the scaling???

Well according to the calculator theres no difference?

is there a trick to this? or anything

ibbi00

HSC
Re: Why does english standard and advance scale the same according to ATAR calculator

That's because there is no difference in scaling. Many people confuse the terms scaling and aligning.

Aligning is the adjustment of your raw marks in the HSC exam to a final mark that is reported to you. This is done by BOS.
Scaling is related to how far a subject goes to contribute to a higher ATAR. This is done by UAC.

So the general consensus is that Standard aligns significantly lower than Advanced and it is therefore much harder to achieve a band 6 in this subject. e.g. only 62 students last year managed this compared to thousands in Advanced. So ultimately a 90 in Standard or Advanced will have the same effect on your ATAR.

FCB

Emma Watson <3
HSC
Re: Why does english standard and advance scale the same according to ATAR calculator

That's because there is no difference in scaling. Many people confuse the terms scaling and aligning.

Aligning is the adjustment of your raw marks in the HSC exam to a final mark that is reported to you. This is done by BOS.
Scaling is related to how far a subject goes to contribute to a higher ATAR. This is done by UAC.

So the general consensus is that Standard aligns significantly lower than Advanced and it is therefore much harder to achieve a band 6 in this subject. e.g. only 62 students last year managed this compared to thousands in Advanced. So ultimately a 90 in Standard or Advanced will have the same effect on your ATAR.
Thats crazy that only 62 people got B6 in standard. I truly wonder why people do standard english (am not judging you).

ibbi00

HSC

Well you see, schools don't take it very lightly if you get 70* in SC and you want to do Advanced LOL. But I'm very happy it turned out that way. Makes me feel special to be one of 62 out of some 30k+ students =D

*Don't ask.

Last edited:

FCB

Emma Watson <3
HSC

Well you see, schools don't take it very lightly if you get 70* in SC and you want to do Advanced LOL. But I'm very happy it turned out that way. Makes me feel special to be one 62 out of some 30k+ students =D

*Don't ask.
But at the end of the day, its your choice whether you do Ad. English or Std. English. How come you didnt pick Advanced as you would have just as likely got a B6.

Or did you go to a highly ranked school?

ibbi00

HSC

But at the end of the day, its your choice whether you do Ad. English or Std. English. How come you didnt pick Advanced as you would have just as likely got a B6.

Or did you go to a highly ranked school?
A) I didn't have a choice. My school dictates what subjects you can do even though it's a shitty ~200 ranked public school.
B) I didn't know English can be so easy so I was taking the 'easy way out' by doing Standard.

ya_mum

'When there's a will, there's a way' - MOI
HSC

I say fuck all this scaling and aligning bull shit and do the best you can and let them work it out for you. There's nothing you can do after you finish those HSC papers.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC

+1 to the bold.

Standard and Advanced english marks are aligned based on the performance of both streams in paper 1. Since the standard kids (in general) do crappier than the advanced kids in paper 1, the aligning for standard english is horrible.

If you are decent at english, try and do Advanced. Do NOT be scared off by Shakespeare; the quality of work you have to do in standard and advanced to get good marks is pretty much the same.

epicFAILx

HSC

Thats crazy that only 62 people got B6 in standard. I truly wonder why people do standard english (am not judging you).
I do standard, only because the co-ordinator told me itd be extremely hard and I would crash and burn :(

slyhunter

Retired
HSC

Your co-ordinator lied.

LonelyWolf

HSC

I do standard, only because the co-ordinator told me itd be extremely hard and I would crash and burn :(
exact same here, i really should have said fuck that and done advance.

62 students getting a band 6 is patheric, i really dont understand why it is scaled/marked so low. I really wish my school explained the whole hsc in great detail, rather than saying just do the subjects you like and you should do well. fuck im angry.

ibbi00

HSC

That just shows how ignorant your coordinator is. You're essentially doing the same thing in both subjects.

A) You read your text.
B) Attempt to analyse it on your own but fail miserably.
C) Teacher analyses it for you and hands out notes.
D) You rewrite these notes in the form of an essay and make them sound original.
E) ???
F) Profit!!!

You will never come up with something to say about the text that hasn't been said before. It's just twisting the same idea slightly and making it sound good. All there is to it. Linking this to your own related text in a unique manner is the real deal breaker in my opinion.

Last edited:

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad

exact same here, i really should have said fuck that and done advance.

62 students getting a band 6 is patheric, i really dont understand why it is scaled/marked so low.
It's because most of the capable english students are doing advanced; note i said most.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC

That just shows how ignorant your coordinator is. You're essentially doing the same thing in both subjects.

A) You read your text.
D) You rewrite these notes in the form of an essay and make them sound original.
E) ???
F) Profit!!!

You will never come up with something to say about the text that hasn't been said before. It's just twisting the same idea slightly and making it sound good. All there is to it. Linking this to your own related text in a unique manner is the real deal breaker in my opinion.
Insta-win confirmed.

LonelyWolf

HSC

A) You read your text.
E) ???
F) Profit!!!

haha thats exactly what my teacher does. couldn't agree more.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC

=O How much?

ibbi00

HSC

Dunno, yet. They asked for my essays once the results came out and I heard back from them like a week ago. Something like: "This is to inform you that we have bought some if not all of your submitted work... Payment will be processed soon, etc." It sounds like a generic mass e-mail anyway. Will find out soon :D

blackops23

HSC

damn... I got 88 in my Eng SSC, but I'm doing Standard English, and now it seems that getting a good aligned mark is near impossible... =(

slyhunter

Retired
HSC

That sounds...dodgy to say the least.

You don't have info on the value of that payment.

SCAM

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)