Why does everyone become so satirical during/after the HSC? (1 Viewer)

Ellie_Belly

HSC
Discuss.

Is it the HSC, or is it that time of a person's life?

Surely I'm not imagining it... other people on BOS have pointed it out!

Last edited by a moderator:

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
satirical, or cynical? I didn't notice that many HSC students staging impromptu satirical performances around the playground.

Ellie_Belly

HSC
fleepbasding said:
satirical, or cynical? I didn't notice that many HSC students staging impromptu satirical performances around the playground.
I was going to include "cynical" in the thread name, but I suppose at my school, it's more of a satire of how the place is run, our teachers, our assessments, our lives, our parents etc. It's more in the way we speak about things - and I guess it is being cynical, a lot of the time.

But why?

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
because we are brought up on a diet of chaser. Because everyone is getting more intelligent (as you do with age and experience) and wanting to flex their brain muscles. survival mechanism.

these are just some ideas.

Last edited:

Ellie_Belly

HSC
fleepbasding said:
because we are brought up on a diet of chaser. Because everyone is getting more intelligent (as you do with age and experience) and flexing their brain muscles. survival mechanism.
I think that's a good point. Everyone starts to question things that they've always accepted at this point. (Well I am, anyway.) People start to see things differently, in a different light, and they don't just take it the way they used to. And the first way to start questioning something is to become cynical about it, because that's the easiest way not to conform to an idea.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Ellie_Belly said:
I think that's a good point. Everyone starts to question things that they've always accepted at this point. (Well I am, anyway.) People start to see things differently, in a different light, and they don't just take it the way they used to. And the first way to start questioning something is to become cynical about it, because that's the easiest way not to conform to an idea.
1000th post!

Tess653

HSC
because the alternative is taking the whole thing seriously.

i mean it. even if the hsc isn't as important as it's built up to be, it's still more important than most of us would like to admit

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Ellie_Belly said:
Maybe you're right, maybe it's just coz we can and not much else.

Maybe I'm taking the issue too seriously!!! :rofl:
Maybe I am.

Maybe you are.

Maybe your gay.

Clarebare

HSC
mr_brightside said:
Maybe I am. Maybe you are. Maybe your gay.
*you're. :):) <3 you.

I think it has a lot to do with trying to make a point to all of those people, be they parents, teachers, past or present students, that the hsc is not the be all and end all of life. Not a subtle way to do it, and possibly not a very smart way, but a lot of people seem to do it.

Or, I dunno, maybe it's just cause we're moody buggers :rolleyes:

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Most of the 60 or 70 thousand odd HSC sitters from year to year don't have the brains to write satire! And most of those that do, do extension english two, so they're conditioned to write about really boring stuff anyway.

c0okies

HSC
satire is pretty much part of everyday life isnt it? we're all sarcastic about one thing or another

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
theres a difference between satire and sarcasm.

i think cynicism is a part of becoming more aware of the world around you, as more bright-and-shiny-eyed kids learn that the once wonderful world isnt actually so fair.
Cyncicism is probably a defence mechanism, a way of not taking everything at face value, questioning information you have been given to avoid being gullible. its quite healthy, but its also sad in a way. Instead of fixing the world we fix the way we think

c0okies

HSC
explain the difference becos i cant define them very much from each other

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)