• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Why is Corby guilty? (1 Viewer)

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
that analogy makes sense but wouldnt you feel a difference whether you had a gun on you? same applies if your boogie bag suddenly felt heavier.

Genesys

HSC
She didn't pull it off the rack...her brother did. He might not have noticed a difference. And if you have ever been at the airport in another country rushing to get everything you can understand how sometimes you don't pay much attention to what your luggage feels like.

I am not saying she is definately innocent, just that in most countries with legal systems which personally (emphasis on pesonally) I feel are more reasonable she more than likely wouldn't have been found guilty

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Genesys said:
She didn't pull it off the rack...her brother did. He might not have noticed a difference. And if you have ever been at the airport in another country rushing to get everything you can understand how sometimes you don't pay much attention to what your luggage feels like.

I am not saying she is definately innocent, just that in most countries with legal systems which personally (emphasis on pesonally) I feel are more reasonable she more than likely wouldn't have been found guilty
As has been said, many times, it was not merely a matter of "proving beyond a reasonable doubt", because once she was found with the drugs in her bag, it sets up certain presumptions that the defence must disprove, and this is actually very similar to Australian drug laws. So perhaps you don't think our legal system is reasonable.

Genesys

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
As has been said, many times, it was not merely a matter of "proving beyond a reasonable doubt", because once she was found with the drugs in her bag, it sets up certain presumptions that the defence must disprove, and this is actually very similar to Australian drug laws. So perhaps you don't think our legal system is reasonable.
What I was saying is that in most legal systems it would be recognised that reasonable doubt was established. Obviously there are presumptions which need to be disproved however there is also an obligation to prove her guilt rather than her inability to prove her innocence which is where the emphasis lies within the Balinese legal system.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
ur only thinking about one person here, she was not the only one being convicted, everyone does, it is a serious crime, to walk in with drugs especially to another country. whether or not the drug is yours doesnt matter, the fact is she had drugs in her bag. if you are caught with it you will be punished, its too easy to say its not yours Far too easy.

even if you had gun with you, you would be punished, regardless of whether or not you comitted a murder, the fact is you are going to commit a murder, why less have gun? you have to shoot something.

the baggage mishandling i feel is not related, we will find that out soon. nevertheless that a different issue, perhaps she was working with them.

dont rule out anything. this is about preventing crime not solving who did it, thats later. like the if a person has gun and were at the airport they would be immediately arrested no questions asked, regardless of what he/she has done already. then later they find out if he/she has killed someone or not. but the charge is slightly ridiculous.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
What is it with people and this "lack of fingerprint evidence" shit? Can't the person wear gloves?

She was probably working on the same side as the criminal baggage handlers who put the drugs in the bag so that she could smuggle it as a drug mule, just like the Bali nine or the young dude arrested in vietnam or somewhere, facing execution.

There have been plenty of Australians caught red handed bringing drugs into South East Asian countries and jailed or executed and no-one gives a shit, what makes Corby any more innocent than them?

Do the crime, do the time

Last edited:

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
Genesys said:

Yes, I have run around airports in foreign countries. My flight from paris was delayed by 2 hrs, and we had to run like hell from one side of the airport to the other... and so that mum could make it, I grabbed her bag and was running with ALL our hand luggage. 4kg makes a HELL OF A DIFFERENCE.....particularly in this case to the weight of a boogie board, which in this day and age is extremely lightweight.

Don't be so sure that she would be found innocent in other countries. fact is, she had the drugs with her, and the bag was exactly fitted to her body board. Fingerprints or not, that sure makes her case weak from the start. Her whole case appears to me (uneducated in the legal proffession, i must admit) to be a bit of a sob story "ohh please have sympathy for me, and send me home" type of thing, and there didn't seem to be as much real evidence, or at least, evidence as strong as the REAL drugs.

20 years is a sufficient sentence, in my opinion. The death penalty is too harsh, but importing drugs makes you a potential dealer of drugs, and by dealing in drugs, you draw other people into drug crime, and you create problems for the people of another country. 1 month is not a sufficient enough deterrent, nor is $10000, because many hard--core drug dealers could easily recoup those costs, or probably have that cash stored away already. (yes, I am aware of my generalisations, but I am trying to make a point)

Genesys

HSC
llamalope said:
Yes, I have run around airports in foreign countries. My flight from paris was delayed by 2 hrs, and we had to run like hell from one side of the airport to the other... and so that mum could make it, I grabbed her bag and was running with ALL our hand luggage. 4kg makes a HELL OF A DIFFERENCE.....particularly in this case to the weight of a boogie board, which in this day and age is extremely lightweight.

Don't be so sure that she would be found innocent in other countries. fact is, she had the drugs with her, and the bag was exactly fitted to her body board. Fingerprints or not, that sure makes her case weak from the start. Her whole case appears to me (uneducated in the legal proffession, i must admit) to be a bit of a sob story "ohh please have sympathy for me, and send me home" type of thing, and there didn't seem to be as much real evidence, or at least, evidence as strong as the REAL drugs.

20 years is a sufficient sentence, in my opinion. The death penalty is too harsh, but importing drugs makes you a potential dealer of drugs, and by dealing in drugs, you draw other people into drug crime, and you create problems for the people of another country. 1 month is not a sufficient enough deterrent, nor is $10000, because many hard--core drug dealers could easily recoup those costs, or probably have that cash stored away already. (yes, I am aware of my generalisations, but I am trying to make a point)
I agree a jail sentence is needed. I never said she would be found innocent, only that it was more likely. I Don't claim to have vast legal knowledege at all, nor do I disregard the possibility that she is guilty. However I do think that under the circumstances her trial was badly handled and I do think that 20 years is a bit harsh.

I really don't believe she would be taking drugs into Bali though, when they are worth nothing there and are worth so much more in Australia...Where is the logic in that, assuming that she did?

cerebrum

HSC
she may or may not have been innocent. However the right decision was made to send her to jail. The offence she was accused of convicting was serious and all of Australia was watching. Had she gotten off, it would encourage others to convict the same crime. Needless to say the punishment is harsh for someone so young. She didn't deserve that even if she was guilty.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
The drugs can be sold in bali for much more than here. Tourists in bali are increasingly looking to other foreigners for drugs, as they dont trust indonesian grown drugs.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
cerebrum said:
she may or may not have been innocent. However the right decision was made to send her to jail. The offence she was accused of convicting was serious and all of Australia was watching. Had she gotten off, it would encourage others to convict the same crime. Needless to say the punishment is harsh for someone so young. She didn't deserve that even if she was guilty.

under indonesian law she got off extremely lightly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)