• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Why is Corby guilty? (2 Viewers)

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
withoutaface said:
Even if they aren't equal, does that mean they deserve to be murdered in order for Racial cleansing to occur?

There have been clear lines drawn by the UN conventions, and I believe that these should be followed in all cases, no matter what the culture. We must respect a countries principles up to a point, but there is a line that, when crossed, demands intervention.
Does this mean that whatever the majority believes to be true is in fact true?

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
withoutaface said:
Please tell me you're not serious, and sorry but if you really believe that then I'm inclined to agree with spell check.
Why do people find it so difficult to accept other poeple's cultures?

tempco

HSC
the death penalty is a consequence of an action, not an action itself. the indo government is not exempt from murder. all these examples you guys are bringing up are all wack.

spell check

HSC
miss_b said:
I guess "cold bitch" is one way of putting it :rolleyes:

And i didn't say that i looked "at everything in some better way than everyone else" you merely got that impression. I just try to not care about things that don't concern me...

Do i have to accept that i can't go around killing people because i have no choice? Is this unfair?
i think cold bitch is pretty accurate. if everyone in the world only cared about things that concerned them it'd be a pretty fucking terrible place.

moreso than it is now

guess what, some cultures are barbaric and should be changed

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
spell check said:
i think cold bitch is pretty accurate. if everyone in the world only cared about things that concerned them it'd be a pretty fucking terrible place.

moreso than it is now

guess what, some cultures are barbaric and should be changed
Guess what? The people of those cultures may think our culture encourges weakness and should be changed...

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
withoutaface said:
In this circumstance, yes.
So if Hitler were to suceed in creating an world in which most people were Aryans, it would be right of him to eliminate the Jews?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
miss_b said:
Guess what? The people of those cultures may think our culture encourges weakness and should be changed...
It is necessary for the subjectvie principle of the Geneva Convention to be observed for the world to remain inhabitable, end of argument.

spell check

HSC
miss_b said:
they're wrong

contrary to what you might tell yourself, it is possible to formulate relatively universal principles of human rights

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
miss_b said:
So if Hitler were to suceed in creating an world in which most people were Aryans, it would be right of him to eliminate the Jews?
The German people did not support the holocaust.

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
spell check said:
they're wrong

contrary to what you might tell yourself, it is possible to formulate relatively universal principles of human rights
How is this possible? Especially when we work wth so many assumptions; with the biggest one being that all humans are equal. How do we arrive at this conclusion?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
miss_b said:
How is this possible? Especially when we work wth so many assumptions; with the biggest one being that all humans are equal. How do we arrive at this conclusion?
Because it is the only way in which the human race as a whole can be represented.

*sigh
I've had enough of this, I'm off to bed.

spell check

HSC
miss_b said:
do i even have to answer this?

we are all born the same. the reasons that i am relatively comfortable living in a developed country and someone my age is starving and has AIDS in some impoverished african nation subject to a corrupt totalitarian or military regime has nothing to do with me being born somehow predisposed to this lifestyle and culture and they theirs.

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
spell check said:

we are all born the same. the reasons that i am relatively comfortable living in a developed country and someone my age is starving and has AIDS in some impoverished african nation subject to a corrupt totalitarian or military regime has nothing to do with me being born somehow predisposed to this lifestyle and culture and they theirs.
So, are you saying that we are all born with the knowledge that we are all equal?

spell check

HSC
miss_b said:
So, are you saying that we are all born with the knowledge that we are all equal?
that is irrelevant. we aren't born with any knowledge at all.

what exactly are you suggesting, that some people are born better than others? better in what way? how would these different levels of human be measured?

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
spell check said:
that is irrelevant. we aren't born with any knowledge at all.

what exactly are you suggesting, that some people are born better than others? better in what way? how would these different levels of human be measured?
What are YOU suggesting? That humans are equal?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
spell check said:

I dont see how we are born the same to be honest, but thats more a metaethical question.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
If we're claiming they're not equal we have two options:
1. Find a way in which to classify a hierachy - Incredibly dodgy.
2. Allow anarchy in order to see who comes out on top - Lunacy.

So in at least some capacities, including basic human rights, we must presume all are equal until proven otherwise.

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
Wow, what a way to go off topic.

Look, we are raised in a developed world. Our values differ from Indonesia's. I don't know why Indonesia (and keep in mind that many other countries) has the death penalty for drug trafficking. But we are not in a position to change their law so directly (ie. with some statements that some people make in relation to Corby's case that the law should change). It's just disrespectful to their culture and foolish, and reinforces the idea that we want to impose our values on them - that's an unwise move by any government.

Like NTB said before, perhaps we can gradually 'change' their law by raising some awareness of the 'dark side' of capital punishment. Indonesia is still 'developing' for no reason. Their laws are changing with time, and the 'barbaric' death penalty will be discussed and questioned with it. We are 'developed', Indonesia is 'developing'. To impose our law on them so suddenly and abruptly and with force is unwise. Let the Indonesians themselves see alternative laws, and let us assist them in doing so, instead of insulting their law and demanding it to change, for the one reason that they will accuse us of being imperialistic (and understandably so).

For some cultures mentioned (that genital mutilation thing), we also can't change it so abruptly. The result will be ugly: imagine what the people there would think!! No matter how 'objective' you think a view on an 'uncivilised' punishment is, the fact is that, at this time, it is still subjective, because the people in those countries still think it's the right way to go.

We don't think so. They do. That's why you should think of the consequences of forcefully changing their law.

Someone might then counter my point with Hitler and how outrageous his law is. The difference is that the killing of Jews is hardly cultural, it's propaganda. Culture is something that should change gradually.

Australia is lucky to be one of the developed countries. That doesn't mean that we must start abruptly imposing our values on them, saying "you're wrong, I'm right". It means that we must assist them to develop (that's what developed countries are supposed to do!): for some cultures in question, educate the women, support the women's movement (those countries DO have women's movements btw), these kinds of things. And the time will come when these 'barbaric' laws disappear.

EDIT: This is what is meant by 'respecting' other countries' law. Doesn't mean that we have to agree with it. But forcefully and insultingly doing so is not very wise. Let them handle their laws. Let their best people realise the rights and wrongs in their society. We can only assist their development.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)