• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Why is Corby guilty? (1 Viewer)

HellVeN

Banned
HSC
Actually I couldn't care less about Corby. Why would you care about a stranger's fate? Wheather she dies or is freed, it means absolutly nothing to me.

But If I was in her position, I'd much prefer the death sentence than a long jail sentence.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
HellVeN said:
Actually I couldn't care less about Corby. Why would you care about a stranger's fate? Wheather she dies or is freed, it means absolutly nothing to me.

But If I was in her position, I'd much prefer the death sentence than a long jail sentence.
Well, she is a fellow human being. The ability to empathise with other people is arguably the basis of morality.

HellVeN

Banned
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
Well, she is a fellow human being. The ability to empathise with other people is arguably the basis of morality.
Then by your reasoning I have no morality. I'm wrestling with that idea in the another thread in this forum. But I'm sure that there are people that are much much worst off than Corby. I guess I don't quite understand why her case is generating so much attention. I'd also like to say that I'm also very much against people who form their opinion on her innocence or guilt out of thin air with nothing to back them up like a few people have said.

nwatts

HSC
HellVeN said:
Then by your reasoning I have no morality.
You're unable to empathise with another human being? I don't necessarily agree with MoonlightSonata's view on morality, but the inability for empathy is like waving a flag of ignorance. Empathy is different to pity or sentimentality. It's the ability to relate and understand the disposition of another human being. You'll never hold a relationship without empathising with another persons character or situation.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
HellVeN said:
Then by your reasoning I have no morality. I'm wrestling with that idea in the another thread in this forum. But I'm sure that there are people that are much much worst off than Corby. I guess I don't quite understand why her case is generating so much attention. I'd also like to say that I'm also very much against people who form their opinion on her innocence or guilt out of thin air with nothing to back them up like a few people have said.
how did I know there was going to be a thread on corby...
I kind of get what you're trying to say. I sympathise with her, however, the fact remains that so many others have gone through the same ordeal, or worse - because she's australian, we can relate to her more, that's why she's getting so much coverage - it's like wood - when I heard that aussie accent begging for his life I just stopped walking, it totally turned me into a stunned goldfish. Because it really hits home - one of us! In such a terrible predicament. But for the indonesians it's just another foreigner caught smuggling drugs. no big deal. anyone heard the commentary on the smh website on wood? 'it comes in on their radar...and then quickly goes off' - refering to the Iraqi response to his kidnapping. cos it's the same old, same old...

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
what i find absolutely disgusting is the australian media over in bali. The way they practically crushed her and her family just to get a good story. And I nearly threw somthing at the tv when channel 7 had the nerve to comment on the media frenzy when they wew part of it and doing the same thing as everyone else.

there are no ethics in journalism!!!!!

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
HellVeN said:
Of course there are much more people worse off than Corby. Look at it this way:
She was jailed in Bali --> 20 Years
If she was jailed in Australia with guilty --> She's only get 3-4 years.
Any other Asian country --> she might even get the death penalty.

The Australian media only perceive Schapelle Corby as 'innocent' because she is a young and to some people attractive.

I cannot understand why you just make up propaganda about people forming opinion about the case. It is a matter of fact that people have their own opinion even if they take what the media say as true i.e. just believing that she is 'innocent'.

BTW: I used to think that Corby was innocent, until I heard news of the proceedings, and when you think about it- none of Corby's evidence was substantial enough to gain her aqquital. I think that she will have no chance in a Bali High Court, she may be risking an even higher sentence (let alone the death penalty).

llamalope: there is no ethics in jounalism. What if Schapelle Corby is guilty?

I would like to refer to the Azaria Chaimbalin case back in Australian history- where the mother continually said that the 'dingo ate her baby' --> the media took the trial judge's side by branding her guilty. We still don't know what really happened, but many people think that the Chaimbalin's case was true (and this is an example of the media taking sides.)

What happens if an very-unattractive old woman was could smuggling drugs into an asian country--> Would we have media footage of this case as much as we did in this Corby case? I think not.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Huratio said:
What happens if an very-unattractive old woman was could smuggling drugs into an asian country--> Would we have media footage of this case as much as we did in this Corby case? I think not.
A number of people seem to be so sure of this point, yet do you have anything to back it up? This case is, in many ways, unique, especially when you consider the possible involvement of baggage handlers and the implications this has for luggage security, and it is only understandable that many people are interested in some way.

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
Generator said:
A number of people seem to be so sure of this point, yet do you have anything to back it up? This case is, in many ways, unique, especially when you consider the possible involvement of baggage handlers and the implications this has for luggage security, and it is only understandable that many people are interested in some way.
Yes, you are correct!

But Huratio is referring to the media blowout. There is a difference between why there is an excessive media coverage in Australia and why the public is interested in the case. You've pointed out ONE reason why the latter is understandable. But why the former?

In addition, the media coverage had been excessive EVEN BEFORE there was a big fuss on baggage handlers.

As well, there is absolutely no denying that image DOES matter, and it has obstructed justice in the past. I keep on referring to this, but the movie Chicago is a very good example of this - where there was an innocent woman on death-row, while the guilty women (one fabricated her pregnancy to draw public pity - which she did so successfully) got off.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
well yeh obviously if it was some junkie guy everyone in australia wouldnt care less if they shot him. the dodgy part of schapelle for me is that she's been back to bali so many times in the past few years and she doesnt even have a job.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
blackfriday said:
well yeh obviously if it was some junkie guy everyone in australia wouldnt care less if they shot him. the dodgy part of schapelle for me is that she's been back to bali so many times in the past few years and she doesnt even have a job.
BUT SHE'S STUDYING TO BE A BEAUTICIAN!!!!
(like all the other pot smoking bogan girls i kno...*Cough*)

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
BUT SHE'S STUDYING TO BE A BEAUTICIAN!!!!
(like all the other pot smoking bogan girls i kno...*Cough*)
Fuck yeah, the only beautican students i know are stoners too

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
she's been back to bali four or five times in less than seven years, but she claims she has family there. im indonesian and plane tickets 'just to see family' back and forth aren't cheap.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Her sister there apparently owns a surf shop, her older brother has been caught on drug charges before.

We all kno what a shady balinese surf shop is like :rolleyes:
I don't like to make assumptions, but I do believe her that she was going to see her sister. Her sister probably sells out of her store or something along those lines.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
when i was watching the news i saw her sister reading out something along the lines of
"thank you for your support and she will come home etc..
then she was screaming her head off...they didnt take or witnesses into acoount blah blah..i couldnt understand what she was saying..she was absolutely hysterical..

then i saw on channel nine a interview with ray martin and her mum
and her mum made absolutely no sense half the time
was talking the most random shit
wasnt formal at all
kept swearing and i couldnt help but laugh
i was like wtf?...

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
soha said:
when i was watching the news i saw her sister reading out something along the lines of
"thank you for your support and she will come home etc..
then she was screaming her head off...they didnt take or witnesses into acoount blah blah..i couldnt understand what she was saying..she was absolutely hysterical..

then i saw on channel nine a interview with ray martin and her mum
and her mum made absolutely no sense half the time
was talking the most random shit
wasnt formal at all
kept swearing and i couldnt help but laugh
i was like wtf?...
How would ur family be under these circumstances? If they wouldnt react like that, what would the average white, christian family do?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)