• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Why is education a competition? (1 Viewer)

youngminii

Banned
HSC
gibbo153 said:
i agree. there are a lot of non-beneficial characteristics of the ranking system. suddenly friends are adversaries. my friend went on exchange in a south east asian country with a similar system to us (i cant remember which one =/) but it like had the same sort of final exams and ranking. and in class, noone answers questions or discusses anything even when asked to. just cos like they refuse to share their knowledge.

its easy to see that the any form of group with goals in education could disband for fear of rankings.

also i agree that it could really dishearten people. if im honest with myself, i can achieve if i put my mind to it, im really not trying to like blow my own horn, but i can see that if i didnt know i had some form of potential, i would just be like.. scared and non-motivated to compete with people who did have a lot of potential. and by potential i only mean in a UAI context. ANOTHER THING i agree on is that there are so so so many ways to go. UAI and straight to uni is not the be-all and end-all. ANYONE can get to ANYWHERE if they try hard enough. i actually realise i implied the wrong thing when i wrote about potential for UAI but i cant be bothered rewriting it. hope you guys know what i meant haha.

but i agree with timothy sio. realistically, a method with less side effects such as these ^^^ is impossible in practice. UAI is NOT SUFFICIENT in defining the ability to succeed in life, it only defines your entry to uni straight from school, so it shouldnt be considered to do the former. But a method which did infact accurately determine one's overall complete in depth analysis of everything to do with their academia and life, just cant happen.
Look, if you're complaining about how people are 'not helping each other', how about YOU stop that trend? I have absolutely no hesitiation in helping my peers and they have no hesitation to help me back. That isn't to say they're selfish bastard, they just think we're making an 'equivalent trade' by exhanging knowledge.

But yeah, as said before, this is probably the best method of ranking people with the least side effects.
It's easy to pick out all the small negative stuff that IDIOTS do to themselves.

SimonLee13

HSC
hopeles5ly said:
Mental illness? You obviously don't understand that a change in one's perception of what they feel about the world can make significant changes of what exactly happens in their. Just look at the placebo effect and how it’s been scientifically proven to radically change one’s state and health even more so than a drug, just because of a change in their thinking.

Have you ever considered why some people from wealthy and rich families, become poor, and why there are some people who have nothing, like people that come to Australia and are able to build a successful life and legacy for their family and their generations? I have a friend, who fought in WW2 and had no education, came here when he was 50, but was still able to build a business that pays a large amount of residual income whether he works or not. Why? Because, he didn't want to be a fucking outcast and have self-pity on himself. He could have sat around and cried and did nothing about his situtation. But no, he knew he was better then that.

We live in the same world, we have the same 24hrs, and guess what? Shit will always happen to everyone, regardless of how skillful you are. You’re responsible for what happens in your LIFE. Everything happens in your life is created through either your own mental or physical actions. If you want to be poor, then go spend or your money today, have shitty eating habits, and go do drugs and alcohol. If one decides to go on to a life like that, do you think that someone forced them to do it?

People fail at life, is because they impose self-liminations on themselves and let any reason distract them from getting better, whether it be the economy, competition or other people dictating how they should feel and how should act.
Mind you your definition only applies to developed world and thus not the " world". Your view is extremely bigoted and does not take into account any external factors at all which nullifies your otherwise, very valid argument. An example being, war veterans who participated in conflict come home with traumatized, maimed and have their quality of life extinguished.1/3 of the American homeless are war veterans. Guess who these "voluntary" soldiers are? The marginalized people of society.

Not everyone is born equal: ATSI (Asutralian and Torres Strait Islanders) in Australia about 2-3% of population yet 20% of prison population. They have a choice? Somewhat but this is heavily influenced by their environment often heavily disruptive. They also lead the country in preventable disease, incomparable life expectancy (17 yrs less than everyone else) etc .

Although I agree with the fact that many abled people very much, have the ability to change their lives, the fact that you ignore any external and thus uncontrollable factors is alarming.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Competition spurs alot of people on and drives them to acheive their best.
If the HSC upsets people, leave school. Otherwise knuckle down and do your best I reckon.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
People who don't help others in the fear that they will beat them are dicks.

I think education must always stay as a friendly competition where we work each other to achieve the common goal. I cannot stand the dickheads who never put their hands out to help others purely due to the reason that they consider others as competitors.

Some dickheads will be surprised by how much they can improve just by helping others and getting some help from others in return.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
lyounamu said:
People who don't help others in the fear that they will beat them are dicks.

I think education must always stay as a friendly competition where we work each other to achieve the common goal. I cannot stand the dickheads who never put their hands out to help others purely due to the reason that they consider others as competitors.

Some dickheads will be surprised by how much they can improve just by helping others and getting some help from others in return.
i agree, rankings can amplify this issue as education is made more competitive through them. Lol although i just recieved my repot today and the rankings look quite pleasant :uhhuh:

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
youngminii said:
Look, if you're complaining about how people are 'not helping each other', how about YOU stop that trend? I have absolutely no hesitiation in helping my peers and they have no hesitation to help me back. That isn't to say they're selfish bastard, they just think we're making an 'equivalent trade' by exhanging knowledge.

But yeah, as said before, this is probably the best method of ranking people with the least side effects.
It's easy to pick out all the small negative stuff that IDIOTS do to themselves.
woah woah woah. i didnt mean to imply that i am against helping other people. i just gave this guy who was away for the last 2 weeks all my study notes for all my subjects. and im in a study group. i was just broadly generalising about potential side effects of a ranking system

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
ekoolish said:
i agree, rankings can amplify this issue as education is made more competitive through them. Lol although i just recieved my repot today and the rankings look quite pleasant :uhhuh:
haha yeah. i can imagine its a system that you would either like or dislike depending on how it turned out for you hahahaha

youngminii

Banned
HSC
gibbo153 said:
haha yeah. i can imagine its a system that you would either like or dislike depending on how it turned out for you hahahaha
Deep.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I am not liking the current atmosphere that seems to be going around my school right now...

People are just too competitive and some already became incurable dickheads. They say stuff to others like "I cannot tell you because I want to get better mark". I never heard stuff like that thrown at my face so far but it's a pity to see that there are people who do that to others.

I mean, what the hell does HSC mean to them? Yeah, yeah, it's a competition. It's meant to be a competition, but that doesn't mean that we should bloody fight all over it to the extent that you give up on your friendship! That's just pathetic. I was always proud of my year cohort and I always give merits for its support network and strong friendship but I don't see that anymore.

I don't see how anyone can sleep peacefully with such a strong sense of competition going around his/her heard...

Last edited:

adidasboy

weee
HSC
it's a dog eat dog world. mm god i hate people like that.
People here lie about their progress in assignments/study to put others off.
A: You started your assignment yet?
B: No... I'll start it next week. It's freaking easy as anyways.
Then there are those who lie about the study they do.
A: Omg chem exam next week!, you ready?
B: Nahh i'll just cram last minute.. the stuff is easy
On exam day:
Person B whips out 40 pages of Chemistry notes and says to person A..
B: LOL! you didn't make any notes? you're fucked man !
A: *feels unprepared, intimidated by person B preparation*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)