Why is it so hard to find a job? (1 Viewer)

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
gee nandison, you sound like you work for them, do you? is that like a recruitment agency? because they tend to rip you off a bit, they'd keep 10-15% of the hourly rate to themselves as commission.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
kloudsurfer said:
Ive applied for dick smith/tandy too, and nothing!

Atm im deciding whether to take a second job at a maccas which is really far from where I live. Im either going to spend all my pay on petrol or spend 1.5 hours each way on public transport just to get there.

But im really desperate and cant find anything closer (or that isnt maccas...lol)!

Anyone know how long maccas shifts are? Im not travelling that far for a 3 hour shift, but maybe if they are like 6 hours plus...
I'm not sure but they pay you by the minute so I imagine they could roster you for any length of time they wanted. A 3 hour shift would be better than no shift though ;)

edit: P.S 1.5 hours?? where's the closest maccas to you? seems like there's one on every corner in some suburbs :/

kloudsurfer

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
I'm not sure but they pay you by the minute so I imagine they could roster you for any length of time they wanted. A 3 hour shift would be better than no shift though ;)

edit: P.S 1.5 hours?? where's the closest maccas to you? seems like there's one on every corner in some suburbs :/
Haha, the closest maccas is like 5 minutes away (and theres another one 2 minutes from that in the mall lol) But theyre not hiring atm (no one around here is!)

Might try the call centre thing like fernando suggested. Hows the pay for that though? Its usually commision based, and I heard you get peanuts unless you sell stuff lol.

lovenotwar

HSC
it took me a while to get a job, i did like a million online applications

i ended up getting 2 interviews both around christmas so yeah september or october is the best time to apply for places. id had no previous experience and the jobs were for diva and cotton on body so if your lucky you dont have to start as low as kfc or maccas.. not that i enjoyed working at cotton on but better than fast food =P

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
TacoTerrorist said:
^ I heard the pay is pretty good, but the job's mind-numbingly boring.
Boring and soul-shattering, because people will abuse and hang up on you all day long.

HSC
^^^
I had a christmas casual position at Sanity. I had to buy a uniform, attend two inductions, and did not get one single shift.

But thats not to discourage you or anything...

circusmind

HSC
wuddie said:
look guys, i am not here to criticise. i am trying to help. but you all seem to think you did bloody brilliantly at the interviews, up against someone of less intelligence and less willing to work, but somehow you lose out 9/10 times. i am quite certain that all those employers who didn't hire you must have a reason, it is not as if they just drew a name out of the hat.

the bottom line is, you will have stop blaming the other guy for your failed chances. you got no one else to blame except the guy in the mirror.
How fucking shit are you?

Fast food/retail don't care about the qualities of the person. All they want is someone cheap (i.e. younger than 18), available (i.e. not a uni student), and easily manipulated into being a drone (i.e. no-one with any prospects beyond one day making 'supervisor').

These are the reasons intelligent and presentable students will struggle to get a job. The solution is to lie through your teeth.

"sure, i'll work whenever you want"
"no, i am available most days, i'm very flexible"

Why would some hopeless manager at Coles care if you have excellent interpersonal skills and a keen interest in French poetry? All they want is some drongo to do menial labour for the cheapest wage possible, with the most flexible availability.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
matey if you think so, then so be it.

regardless of the qualification you have as a student, especially looking for a part time or casual job, they will end up paying the same rate for that position.
so when theres an interview, everyone is going for that same position, for the same pay.

JonnoisBored

HSC
Re: Why is it so hard to find a fucking job?

Raven3333 said:
You sound like a smart educated woman. You intimidate my manhood, I would not hire you.
three letters: EEO.

GinoIs

HSC
Work at a petrol station.
The pay is decent, nothing special, but decent - And time flys cause there's always something to do.

circusmind

HSC
wuddie said:
matey if you think so, then so be it.

regardless of the qualification you have as a student, especially looking for a part time or casual job, they will end up paying the same rate for that position.
so when theres an interview, everyone is going for that same position, for the same pay.
Nope, pay changes with age. Some 16yr old kid can do the exact same retail job I do, and get paid almost half as much what I get as a 19yr old. As an added bonus, that kid will not whinge about conditions or have the gall to ask for time off for study etc.

The fact that I am much better at my job than some random bogan comes into play once I'm on the books, sure, but if you watch the pattern of rostering in a large retail business, you'll see that the majority of shifts will go to the younger kids, because it's simply cost-effective.

It's hilarious watching my employers struggle to balance their need for competent staff in the particular job I do with the expense of paying me and another 19-20yr old bloke to do it. They come up with devilish rostering schemes which ensure that they get the most bang for their buck out of us--making sure we don't get breaks and giving the penalty-rate shifts to the cheaper of us.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
i am sure you'd do the same too if you were the employer.

when i said the pay rate would be the same, the same age group was a given assumption.

aileenli

HSC
wuddie said:
gee nandison, you sound like you work for them, do you? is that like a recruitment agency? because they tend to rip you off a bit, they'd keep 10-15% of the hourly rate to themselves as commission.
Nandison said that she DID work for the agency...

And if you DO go through an agency, they get a bonus from the company that hires you - as in you work for the company they match you up to. Therefore, it is impossible for them to hold back 10-15% of your hourly rate seeing as they don't pay you...

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
that can be a possibility. but the reason i said they keep a bit of the money, is that from all the workplaces i've been to, the agency recruits always get a fraction less than the perm staff. after all, it is the agency who pays you, and their clients in turn pay them. so in a way, the agency can pay you whatever they feel like, and there's next to no way of you finding out what you should have got paid.

aileenli

HSC
Award wages? Surely if you get anything less you can take action against the agency.

Also, read the contracts you sign, it should state exactly how much they are retaining or you can get action against them for that too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)