Why should you try in HSC ... (1 Viewer)

addoil

HSC
this is a little bit random
and also like when u type stuff in the atar calc it only asks for ur marks, regardless of ranks
and they give u a pretty accurate estimate (within + or - 4 atar points)
yeah somebody care to explain?
apparently atar calculators are USUALLY accurate but they don't take into account individual or school rankings?

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
but generally is your rank more important or ur mark??
people are telling me ur rank is more important
My understanding:

It is the relative gaps between internal marks within a cohort. That is all. None of these "marks" and none of these "ranks". These internal marks are moderated according to the external marks. (ie they use how the cohort did in the externals to determine how they should do in the externals).

im getting really confused, ive always thought the rank was important, but without a good mark how can ur rank really get u anywhere? :S
Let me use an example:

The kids in Ruse aren't getting crazy high marks in their exams (at least not everyone) because the school designs hard tests. Thus, it may seem that they are "fucked". But when they sit the external and get really good marks compared with the rest of the state the board will understand "their tests must have been hard. Therefore they should be moderated up".

Thus, marks aren't too useful as indicators without considerations of context.

and also like when u type stuff in the atar calc it only asks for ur marks, regardless of ranks
What marks did you add? And how do you know this is accurate? (considering you haven't received your atar let alone sat the hsc exams)

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Someone correct me if i'm wrong (or can be effed going through my post lol)

juicystar07

HSC
N/A
Okay, so I sound like a total idiot, but you keep your external mark right? It has no correlation to your assessment rank does it?

I'm sorry again :(

Solution

BoS Revolutionary
HSC
N/A
Okay, so I sound like a total idiot, but you keep your external mark right? It has no correlation to your assessment rank does it?

I'm sorry again :(
Yup you will always keep your external mark.

megaman64

HSC
what happens if there is only 1 mark between 1st and 20th. Do you get the 20th highest mark or do u get 1 mark less then 1st place.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
what happens if there is only 1 mark between 1st and 20th. Do you get the 20th highest mark or do u get 1 mark less then 1st place.
It's not necessarily 1 mark. It depends on relative gaps - rank 1 is 90 and rank last is 88 and you're 89, your internal mark will roughly fit in between them.

D94

HSC
N/A
You don't get the 20th highest mark, I think that's been clarified on the first page.

If the range of HSC exam marks are reasonably close, then I reckon it's safe to say ranks 1 to 20 will all get the same moderated assessment mark.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
HSC is a really dodgy system and weighing 50% for internals is just stupid (imo). I can probably say that 90% of schools have really dodgy exams and assessments and the only fair and decent exam is the actual HSC exam.

To answer some question...
1. If you get 0 externally, you won't be counted in the course (it will be like you didn't do the course).
2. It is always possible to "overtake" someone by the final HSC mark.
3. The actual mark itself has nothing to do with the moderating process, only the gaps between other students in your cohort matter. Also, your rank is probably more important.
So what? All the students in the class are in the same boat with dodgy exams. The point of the HSC exam is to moderate all those to a common scale.

Also what's your perfect internal/external ratio balance anyway?

D94

HSC
N/A
but generally is your rank more important or ur mark??
people are telling me ur rank is more important

but lets say u were first in physics
but that mark is only 79? or 80?

would it be better to be 4th in class, and get a score of 90??
Marks determine ranks. It's how much you differ from the person who has more marks than you, which is what is important. Coming 2nd by 2 marks will give you a better result than coming second by 20 marks.

Are those marks raw? If they are raw marks, then you can't compare them. They carry no meaning. The mark itself, without context, has no meaning. The mark compared to other marks is very important. Plus, you need to know your HSC exam results in order to calculated the moderated assessment mark, so ATM, all marks are just a few digits you have gained throughout the year.

im getting really confused, ive always thought the rank was important, but without a good mark how can ur rank really get u anywhere? :S
Rank isn't something which carries importance (except if you're first or last). You can come last in one subject and get a better HSC result than if you were 1st or 5th or 10th in another. It's the marks which matter.

You type in your final HSC mark in those ATAR Calculators. Obviously, you don't know your HSC marks because you haven't sat the HSC, but it's what you predict your marks to be. HSC marks take into account your school performance, so that's where the inclusion of ranks or raw marks is.

They are only accurate for that certain year because most of them go by the UAC data tables. However, the higher the marks, the less volatile it can be (because there's only so much you can scale). So it can be within 1 ATAR or it could be off by 10 - scaling is carried out afresh each year.

fionarykim

HSC
woow this system is so unconfusing :S
and im gonna sound so stupid, but whichs the internal and which ons the external? LOL

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
School is internal, because it's set by the school.

HSC Exam is external, because it's set by people outside the school

Rohanco

HSC
Really? That's what, like only 14 or 15 lessons through out year 12. Just once every second week where anything HSC could be discussed. Alot of mishaps that happen through out the year could be avoided with something like this (e.g I had a couple of mates who didn't even realise they weren't illegible for ATAR's until now) just stupid things which are so easily avoidable with a little bit more communication between maybe the HSC coordinators/Career advisers and the students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)