Wii (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I said new, meaning the console previously codenamed revolution.

Kabeio

k.
HSC
politik said:
Nintendo consoles actually consititute as news? I predict this console to be in the discount bin at Target two days after its release.

No i actually thought this might be a decent console since the nintendo64.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Xbox and PS3 are just repackaged PC's. If I wanted PC style gaming I'd buy a fucking PC.

Nintendo consoles actually offer something different and innovative.

Kabeio

k.
HSC
withoutaface said:
Xbox and PS3 are just repackaged PC's. If I wanted PC style gaming I'd buy a fucking PC.

Nintendo consoles actually offer something different and innovative.

Agreed, it just a shame they dont have as big of a following.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
politik said:
Nintendo consoles actually consititute as news? I predict this console to be in the discount bin at Target two days after its release.
*constitute

I believe your seemingly apathetic view based on what is solely a fan-boy-biased perspective largely contributes to the very market-scape that Nintendo are trying to rectify.

The name itself conjures up quite a unique backlash, but it has already done its job, that is to propagate the console into headlines.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
politik said:
Not really. I dont like consoles. And I dont play games on my computer that much either. There are better ways to waste one's time. So I dont really side with anyone. But definitely - from a marketing perspective, the Nintendo has alot of work.
As I said, extreme fanboyism...albeit a PC > Console one.

Incorrect. The XBox was a repackaged Celeron, but the PS2 is far from a PC, architectually and technically. The only part that can be taken out of a PS2 and used on a PC is the DVD Drive.
He was referring to the way they push the graphical and 'technical' limits rather than the actual structural makeup. The constant need for self-reaffirmation through some visual experience vs the actual enjoyment of games and the need for originality and the banality of the current consoles, particularly noted through the abundance of sequels which appear on both the Xbox and the PS2 currently, and their pre-decessors to come.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
Forbes.com said:
Iwata's Nintendo Lampooned For 'Wii'
Parmy Olson, 04.28.06, 2:50 PM ET
London - Wii are not amused: It's one of those landmark events many will likely never forget--the moment they found out that Nintendo (other-otc: NTDOY - news - people ) was officially swapping the code name of its next-generation gaming console "Revolution," for "Wii."

Pronounced "we," the name of the company's long-awaited machine has sparked a plethora of reactions, somewhat akin to the array of emotions one might experience upon hearing shocking news. There's been initial incredulity by some pundits, others have expressed outright derision at the name, while rather more mellifluous folk have reached eventual acceptance. No doubt Nintendo's President Satoru Iwata will hope the latter sentiment spreads, and fast.

Forums and Nintendo's own message boards are teeming with ideas for clever slogans to go with the new moniker. "Eat, Sleep and Wii," for instance, is one of many stabs at toilet humoresque catchphrases.

Nintendo's own reasons for spawning the name are rather more sophisticated. It said in a statement posted on its Web site Thursday that in lieu of the "we" connection, the name "emphasizes this console is for everyone." It added: "Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii."

Yet the company's army of loyal gamers are struggling to jive with this spiel. On message boards some have professed their fear that the name would convey a continued sense of "kidiness" to the console, while others counter that people simply needed time to let the name grow on them.

The latter is a fair point, considering the plethora of unusual names in the corporate domain that we hardly think twice about today. Yahoo! or even Google are just a few examples, while Fannie Mae is also something of an eyebrow raiser, not least in Britain. One way or another, Nintendo will hope that gamers and techies alike will eschew the tongue-in-cheek rhetoric and open their wallets for the next-generation device. Profits will depend on it, and that's no wee matter.
Hahaha

http://www.forbes.com/2006/04/28/nintendo-wii-console-cx_po_0428autofacescan08.html

Edit: it wouldnt be such a problem if it was pronounced "Y" as in "y-generation" or even spelled "zii" to represent the next generation and still have the "double-i" thing. But "wee" is a dodgy pronunciation.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The fact the console's name is getting this much attention, without so much of a marketing strategy or budget even put into place is a genius stroke for Nintendo. Apart from a few shots, and sneak peeks, they have cooked up so much media attention for it, by merely calling it Wii.

Kudos.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
politik said:
Well, that brings up an obvious problem about society. When the only decent game is one that gets rehashed every two years (GTA), then we definitely need to change our playing/buying habits. But try telling that to a 13 year-old who just wants to buy 'Playboy Mansion' so he can see the women.
You mean the one who can't buy MA15+ rated games as a 13 yo?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Thats a moot point, whether or not the laws are enforced the rules state you can't.

Besides this is off-topic, we'll see soon enough if the culture of technicality will be usurped by one of originality.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
The argument of which console is better and the old PC > Console argument has been done over and over again.

However i will still throw in my say, personally i prefer a PC as my gaming platform. All technical aspects aside, certain issues such as the vast moding community and innovative game releases[instead of having to work with basically the one pc with the same specs every year aka Xbox] mean that there is alot more flexability with Pc gaming.

Consoles were never the best choice imo, they seemed to be mostly marketed at kiddies who are too dumb to use a computer and need an upgraded version of a sega to enjoy games.

Now whats the biggest mod out there? Why CS ofcourse but if console gaming was the bigger than pc gaming it probably would never have gotten off the ground.

Not to mention the prices, i dont want to pay $99 for some generic rehashed game. GTA3 was good, i bought it . Vice city was also good, but if it was a pc game it would have been released either as a total conversion mod[seen as not much changed and the graphics were the same] or an expansion pack. Fuck san andreas, if u want to play the same game 3 different times i9 suggest you start with the sims.

Consoles are an outdated way of thinking, but hopefully they have brought something to the table[although i cant think what].

iam not excited abotu wii at all and i will never buy it, but all the power to nintendo, i would like to see them knock down the giants sony and xbox for once.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
For once? You forget Nintendo have been at this far longer than anyone else. Their sales for the GBA and DS beat most of the XBOX and PS2 sales, heck almost doubled or at times quadrupled it.

GTA was originally brought out on PC, GTA II, PC, GTA III, PC, GTA VC was the exception and was released for PS2 first. But then ported to PC eventually (we all knew it was coming just a matter of marketing).

The ability to measure 'online' presence vs those who play offline is a very loose argument, since the figures simply don't show how effective this disparity is.

As for the argument of 'better' gaming, I think this is exactly the reason Nintendo are getting spot on. For much of its life, console gaming WAS a niche market. Until the Playstation, and to a lesser extent the Dreamcast, there wasn't an established market outside of the 'kiddie' demography. What changed was that the PSX now allowed for graphics to emulate close to what was being displayed on computers at the time. The addition of CD play-usage meant that it was becoming more mainstream. This brought in an influx of those 'mature' gamers, but also ingrained a sort of dichotomy against the Nintendo as 'kiddie' because they did not aim for cutting-edge graphics or over-complicated controller setups.

The XBOX was Microsoft's need to have a slice of the pie, so to speak. What this brought about was that we now had a Console Cold War, whereby the two companies now aimed their market based on more 'realism' more 'mature' aspects. But this also led to the detioration of originality and was more of a quantity vs quality aspect.

Meanwhile the Nintendo, proceeded with the Gamecube, designed to be a simpler interface, to draw in a new crowd, a new market which was previously untapped. Whilst the video game console wars was becoming 'bigger' it was still mainly entrenched in the masculine frame of mind. The shift from PC male gamers to one which is looking more and more evenly spread between the sexes everyday, the need to accomodate was becoming stronger and stronger.

The problem they saw, was that people didn't enjoy having to (re)learn controller setups with each subsequent game. It turned anyone off, having to slave for a few hours to get into the swing of things. The advent of the DS vs the PSP was perhaps the biggest litmus test for the Nintendo psyche, and speaking purely from sales, it was a huge hit. People enjoyed the intuitive nature of the DS, it was a simple, effective, and original way of gaming. There were doubters, quite a few, who thought the touch-screen would crash and burn.

The PSP served as a reduced PSONE, but became less of a gaming tool but a video iPOD replacement.

Now with the Wii and the interactive controller, I will be immensely excited to see exactly how the controller will work, and from the promising signs arising with each new publisher, I'm definitely going to be excited.

I was already hooked by the fact that there would be a back-catalogue to download old games from, but the controller and the ideology seem to be there.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
politik said:
What about that game that was showcased a few weeks ago - the one where you follow an organism throughout its entire life - from conception to death? That was certainly a first...
You mean like a tamagotchi ?

Kabeio

k.
HSC
Serius said:
Not to mention the prices, i dont want to pay $99 for some generic rehashed game. GTA3 was good, i bought it . Vice city was also good, but if it was a pc game it would have been released either as a total conversion mod[seen as not much changed and the graphics were the same] or an expansion pack. Fuck san andreas, if u want to play the same game 3 different times i9 suggest you start with the sims.
Err no. GTA3 was great, vice city was crap, and san andreas was awesome.

Thas better.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
politik said:
Yeah, because the tamagotchi has only been around for a few weeks aye...
Again a sign of your inability to follow arguments...

AsyLum said:
You mean like a tamagotchi ?
Notice how I have "like a tamagotchi" thereby NOT directly referring to the said object with the tamagotchi but rather alluding to it through a comparison.

It was in reference to your "the one where you follow an organism throughout its entire life - from conception to death? That was certainly a first..." part of the quote.

Please keep up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)