• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Will I be able to cope with Extension 1 Maths? (1 Viewer)

SharpieKid123

HSC
Hello, I'm a new poster here, and in year 10 at the moment, and I really want to do Extension Math next year. I am in the Advanced Class at my school, and I always get over 80% in all my tests, my teacher tells me that the Mathematics course would be better suited but I really want to take the opportunity to try to challenge myself with much harder stuff. And I am very good at calculus and at algebra and I know that Extension 1 Maths has a lot of that in it.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Only you can know. So take the subject and drop it if it's too hard.

jnney

lemon
HSC
No, of course it's not 'hard'. It's like asking if English or science is hard. There is no such thing. Anybody who has told you MX1 is hard is probably just really lazy. If you do a lot of practice questions in maths, in the test you'll already be familiarised with whatever's thrown at you. One thing that's very important in MX1 that you have to remember is not to rote learn. That means, don't just memorize formulas. Know why they work. Understand where the formulas are derived from.

Try MX1 out for yourself. input = output. Yeah? Good luck with your studies :)

SharpieKid123

HSC
Oh and also, how well does MX1 scale? I've heard it scales insanely high even if you don't do very well.

funnytomato

HSC
Hello, I'm a new poster here, and in year 10 at the moment, and I really want to do Extension Math next year. I am in the Advanced Class at my school, and I always get over 80% in all my tests, my teacher tells me that the Mathematics course would be better suited but I really want to take the opportunity to try to challenge myself with much harder stuff. And I am very good at calculus and at algebra and I know that Extension 1 Maths has a lot of that in it.
wait, you're in Year 10 and you know CALCULUS?

jnney

lemon
HSC
No, just like any other 'high scaling' subject, if you do poorly in MX1, you will be scaled down. Don't do a subject just because it scales high, because if you don't actually like what you do, you're inevitably directing yourself to performing badly.

funnytomato

HSC
you can always select as many subjects as possible at the beginning ,then drop it if you find them difficult/boring

and teachers cannot stop any one selecting any subject(with exceptions, like class size or something)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
No, of course it's not 'hard'. It's like asking if English or science is hard. There is no such thing. Anybody who has told you MX1 is hard is probably just really lazy. If you do a lot of practice questions in maths, in the test you'll already be familiarised with whatever's thrown at you. One thing that's very important in MX1 that you have to remember is not to rote learn. That means, don't just memorize formulas. Know why they work. Understand where the formulas are derived from.

Try MX1 out for yourself. input = output. Yeah? Good luck with your studies :)
To me, Visual Arts is hard. But I think we can all agree that Maths Extension 2... is hard. =P

Exactly how hard is the topic? It can't be THAT bad, is it?
MX1? It's of moderate difficulty. The concepts are easy enough to understand but some of the applications can be "wat is this".

Oh and also, how well does MX1 scale? I've heard it scales insanely high even if you don't do very well.
MX1 scales moderately well, if you want an insanely high scaling subject - that's Extension 2.

Probably just knows the word =P

No, just like any other 'high scaling' subject, if you do poorly in MX1, you will be scaled down. Don't do a subject just because it scales high, because if you don't actually like what you do, you're inevitably directing yourself to performing badly.
Yes.

jnney

lemon
HSC
Oh yeah, definitely. MX2 is hard ;) But interesting.

khfreakau

HSC
OP sounds like he's accelerated since he says he's in the "Advanced" class, which is what some call 2u.

And to OP, 80+ in 2u tests is more than enough. Go for 3u, imo it's not that much extra work. 4u is an entirely different ballpark though, so that'll require some more consideration.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Note: Don't choose a subject solely based on scaling.

kr73114

HSC
uve done calculus in yr 10?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)