Will I be able to get into these schools? (1 Viewer)

Will I get into either schools?

• Nah

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • High reserve list

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Yup

Votes: 10 62.5%

• Total voters

Minari243

HSC
Im currently in a partially selective high school (Im in the selective stream) in year 10. But the selective stream is mixed with the mainstream in the senior years, so I would like to move schools. Also if i’m being honest this school is pretty trash, from spending too much budget on gardens to literally teachers who sleep in class.

Anyway, this is my first year of trying out, and I have already applied for Penrith and Girraween.
Im honestly not that confident since my reports aren’t all that good, but i’m hoping my naplan, extra curriculars and the test for Girra will help me out.

Btw im guessing
Limited = F
Basic = D
Sound = C
High = B
Outstanding = A

My school’s reporting system is weird

Grades for year 9 sem1- All quite above average( Girra requires 3 reports):
PDHPE: Outstanding
Geography: High
History: High
Science: High
English: Outstanding
Maths: High
IST: Outstanding
Graphics: High

Grades for year 9 sem 2 - A few non-core subjects below average:
PDHPE: High
English: High
Maths: Sound ( i messed up my yearly)
IST: High
Graphics: High

Grades for year 10 sem1 - All quite a bit above average:
PDHPE: High
English: High
Maths: High
IST: Outstanding
Graphics: Sound

The grades are scaled with my selective class

Naplan results for yr9:
Writing: Band 10
Numeracy: Band 10
Reading: Band 9
Spelling: Band 9
Grammar: Band 8

Extra curricular activities:
Helped in school’s showcase night (production)
Salvation army’s Red Shield Appeal (volunteering)
Weekly coding class (advanced)
NCSS Challenge (coding challenge)
UNSW Science work experience program
Clean up Australia day

If it helps at all, I got 204 on my 2015 selective test and My selected yr 11 subjects are:
Maths extension 1
Maths advanced
Chemistry
Biology
Software design and development
English advanced
Modern history

I think i’ll do alright on the HAST test, although I don’t have any experience doing it.

Is there any chance I’ll be accepted or atleast be high on a reserve list for either schools?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Accurate

clix
HSC
I swear if your school ranking is above 200 then I don't even know the point of complaining and thinking you're doomed. That doesn't mean you don't try in the HAST, try to do well but if you don't get in then it's not the end of the world.

Minari243

HSC
I swear if your school ranking is above 200 then I don't even know the point of complaining and thinking you're doomed. That doesn't mean you don't try in the HAST, try to do well but if you don't get in then it's not the end of the world.
It was about 90 in 2016 and it literally dipped to 170 something in 2018

Minari243

HSC
I think i’ll still be fine if i remain in the school but I’ve seen the other schools and their facilities and teachers are honestly just heaven compared to my school

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Your school is a decently good school in that case. Anyway I think you have a decent chance of getting in..

Accurate

clix
HSC
Huh? I'm in a more doomed situation than you (Rank late 300 ish school) im in Yr 10 also. Trust me with that school rank you can get a good ATAR, if a number of people have gotten good ATARS in your school and if they can do it , then there isnt any excuse you can't either. If you go to a school where literally not a single person gets 90+ then it's a bit concerning but in your case I doubt it.

Minari243

HSC
Your school is a decently good school in that case. Anyway I think you have a decent chance of getting in..
That’s good to hear, Im a little worried since this is basically my last year to get in.

Minari243

HSC
Huh? I'm in a more doomed situation than you (Rank late 300 ish school) im in Yr 10 also. Trust me with that school rank you can get a good ATAR, if a number of people have gotten good ATARS in your school and if they can do it , then there isnt any excuse you can't either. If you go to a school where literally not a single person gets 90+ then it's a bit concerning but in your case I doubt it.
Sorry if I made it sound like im not appreciating my school enough, I want to purse a career in medicine so to be competitive I’m probably gonna need to self teach a lot and a new school would just help a lot

Accurate

clix
HSC
That’s good to hear, Im a little worried since this is basically my last year to get in.
My advice is try your best to get in but if you don't it's all good Rank 170 ain't too bad. This guy from my school got a 99.30 ATAR and it's a very low rank school, he avoided all the junkies, he self taught himself literally everything, I literally saw that guy in the front of the school everyday having like stacks and stacks of pages, I will never forget seeing that, he got a pretty big sum of scholarship too. If someone from a total shit school can do that, then with the right mindset you can get into Medicine in rank 170 school given that you tryhard your ass, im pretty sure people have gotten 99s in your school im guessing so yeah it's possible.

Minari243

HSC
My advice is try your best to get in but if you don't it's all good Rank 170 ain't too bad. This guy from my school got a 99.30 ATAR and it's a very low rank school, he avoided all the junkies, he self taught himself literally everything, I literally saw that guy in the front of the school everyday having like stacks and stacks of pages, I will never forget seeing that, he got a pretty big sum of scholarship too. If someone from a total shit school can do that, then with the right mindset you can get into Medicine in rank 170 school given that you tryhard your ass, im pretty sure people have gotten 99s in your school im guessing so yeah it's possible.
Yeah there’s been some people in my school getting 99s. Thanks for the advice!

Accurate

clix
HSC
Oh and also my school uses that weird graded system too looool. (Limited, Basic, Sound, High, Outstanding)

Minari243

HSC
Oh and also my school uses that weird graded system too looool. (Limited, Basic, Sound, High, Outstanding)
Oh my lord. My school literally does not have ranks except for being first in assessments or something. Theres no percentiles and stuff so the mark range and the average is all we have to figure out where we are

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh my lord. My school literally does not have ranks except for being first in assessments or something. Theres no percentiles and stuff so the mark range and the average is all we have to figure out where we are
That is normal for year 10. In year 11 and 12 everyone gets their ranks.

Accurate

clix
HSC
My school USED to have that but they removed it because people were getting offended. It's so frustrating telling my mum that the whole grade got Sound for maths but i still came first

Minari243

HSC
My school USED to have that but they removed it because people were getting offended. It's so frustrating telling my mum that the whole grade got Sound for maths but i still came first
Yeah i suppose it kind of prevents low self asteem and stuff like that. But yeah god damn thats just sad, I got a sound in my yr 9 yearly for maths but I was actually above avg.

Last edited:

Accurate

clix
HSC
Yeah i suppose it kind of prevents low self asteem and stuff like that. But yeah god damn thats just sad, I got a sound in my yr 9 yearly for maths but I was actually above avg.
Also in your school during class time is the class noisy or is it okay to learn.

Minari243

HSC
Also in your school during class time is the class noisy or is it okay to learn.
Its generally quite loud at times until the teacher gets everyone’s attention. Although in maths its basically silent as everyone us just thinking. Keep in mind this is the selective class and i’ve heard the mainstream classes sound louder than 20 jets taking off. Thats part of the reason why I’’m lowkey worried because i’ll be mixed in with them next year. Im not sure if we’re placed into classes according to grades but it definitely does not happen in 7-10.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)