Will I be penalised for writing 2400 words for a 2000 word essay? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayehann

Procrastinator
HSC
depends on the marker mayte.. and also is this an inschool assesment?
if so teachers can honestly not be bothered to sit there and count all them words.. youll be fine!

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
It really depends, i've found that most markers let it slide as long as its all relevant and not utter overkill of the word limit, though 400 words is quite a bit over...

X

xeuyrawp

It really depends, i've found that most markers let it slide as long as its all relevant and not utter overkill of the word limit, though 400 words is quite a bit over...
Ancient history markers are fine with it, generally. Modern history, on the other hand, tend not to be.

thommy

HSC
N/A
Ancient history markers are fine with it, generally. Modern history, on the other hand, tend not to be.
It was for AHST 101, so that's good news. Thanks very much, I am quite relieved to hear that.

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
lol, what a coincidence, my AHST101 essay was about 500 words over, bloody problems with the evidence =p Bit worried about that but 2000 words just wasn't enough... i need to work on my expression.

Last edited:

thommy

HSC
N/A
lol, what a coincidence, my AHST101 essay was about 500 words over, bloody problems with the evidence =p Bit worried about that but 2000 words just wasn't enough... i need to work on my expression.
The irony is that I was worried that I'd be way under the word limit. However, it just didn't turn out to be enough in the end, as you said.

Btw, did you do the SCMP thing?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I did it in AHST100 last semester so i didn't have to redo it, biggest waste of time imo.

thommy

HSC
N/A
I did it in AHST100 last semester so i didn't have to redo it, biggest waste of time imo.
I agree it was a waste of time, but still I can't understand those who complained about not being told about having to do it. It was stated clearly on BlackBoard that we had to do it under the essay questions. I did it three weeks ago. But the course in general is really random, I mean, the lecture topics and tutorial topics aren't even at all related. The entire exam is only on the lecture topics, so what's the point of doing the tute work? Are all ancient courses like this?

whateverrrr

Banned
HSC
Do not go over the word limit! Last year for Torts, I went probably about 250 words over a 1000 word limit and my tutor (the total dipshit) full crossed my work out from about 800 words onward and gave me a pathetic mark when in fact my best arguments were from word 800 onwards. It is not really worth going over unless its 50ish words etc as you can get total dickheads like the tutor I had. Bit of helpful advice. Also forgot to mention that as a result of having a big argument/fight with him, he stated he wanted to give me 0 for acedemic dishonest as a consequence of me lieing that my words contained throughout my assignment was 1000 words LOL.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I agree it was a waste of time, but still I can't understand those who complained about not being told about having to do it. It was stated clearly on BlackBoard that we had to do it under the essay questions. I did it three weeks ago. But the course in general is really random, I mean, the lecture topics and tutorial topics aren't even at all related. The entire exam is only on the lecture topics, so what's the point of doing the tute work? Are all ancient courses like this?
The tutorials are meant to expand your knowledge instead of just rattling through the same stuff as in the lectures. I think the whole point is that they are there to make you think not just spew out lecture material, they do relate to the lectures in themes, you just look at different texts really. I dunno, some of my other subjects follow the lectures really closely, but most work like this one.

dolbinau

HSC
Do not go over the word limit! Last year for Torts, I went probably about 250 words over a 1000 word limit and my tutor (the total dipshit) full crossed my work out from about 800 words onward and gave me a pathetic mark when in fact my best arguments were from word 800 onwards. It is not really worth going over unless its 50ish words etc as you can get total dickheads like the tutor I had. Bit of helpful advice. Also forgot to mention that as a result of having a big argument/fight with him, he stated he wanted to give me 0 for acedemic dishonest as a consequence of me lieing that my words contained throughout my assignment was 1000 words LOL.
How did they know you were over?

whateverrrr

Banned
HSC
How did they know you were over?
The fucking prick took an educated guess and scribbled out all my work from 800 words onwards. I had to then send an electronic copy to my lecture in charge who then said i did go over so I got fucked by it. That's why I mentioend you can get faggots like my tutor who can do things like that. That is why it ain't working going over by more than 50ish words.

Leggs

HSC
You're allowed to go over or under the word limit by 10%

whateverrrr

Banned
HSC
You're allowed to go over or under the word limit by 10%
NO you can't. Several lectures have informed myself and others that the word limit is the word limit ie. no 10% over etc. Whatever, just do what you guys want but keep in mind what happened to me.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It depends on the course and the university. I'm doing Creative Arts and Commerce at UOW, and in both cases, the limit is 10% over and under. I would imagine yours would be similiar, but you would have to check your outline.

IMO, 400 words is 20%, so I think you'd be penalised.

thommy

HSC
N/A
NO you can't. Several lectures have informed myself and others that the word limit is the word limit ie. no 10% over etc. Whatever, just do what you guys want but keep in mind what happened to me.
Wow, your tutor sounds so petty. Seriously, what do they expect us to do? Write the EXACT word limit?

merillem

HSC
Short answer = nobody knows for sure. Give your paper a savage edit to be safe.

thommy

HSC
N/A
Short answer = nobody knows for sure. Give your paper a savage edit to be safe.
But that would detract from the content.

Anyway, they didn't end up taking off marks, at least the comments didn't say that they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)