Will i fail at life? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey peeps, so i havent taken any maths through to hsc and am really worried my life will be crap and that i wont get into many careers becayuse of it. i want to do a commerce or law degree at uow and i know that commerce there does not require maths but what if it does and i am screwed. i also feel so dumb because my subjects are considred dropkick subjects:
eng ad
business
eco
society and culture
cafs
ancient

what do you guys think? i am just sooooo lost rn, soz for the rant....plz help!

Last edited by a moderator:

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
The HSC srsly means piss all on the rest of your life - I could go into super detail about it but don't worry too much, UoW would tell you early if the rules were to change. Just try your best in your subjects, and that'll result in the marks you need to get in. Honestly early entry is also an option, and typically everyone gets in that way.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey peeps, so i havent taken any maths through to hsc and am really worried my life will be crap and that i wont get into many careers becayuse of it. i want to do a commerce or law degree at uow and i know that commerce there does not require maths but what if it does and i am screwed. i also feel so dumb because my subjects are considred dropkick subjects:
eng ad
business
eco
society and culture
cafs
ancient

what do you guys think? i am just sooooo lost rn, soz for the rant....plz help! :(
Even if there is maths required it doesn't mean it's going be insanely difficult maths. Whatever you need they will teach you, you just have to have an open mind and be willing to learn. It might take more time for you in the subject to understand the maths basis that's within it, but if you are dedicated enough to learn it, it's not impossible. All just a matter of your perspective on it and there are bridging courses you can do, and these days you can also learn a lot of stuff online from youtube and other places

HSC
The HSC srsly means piss all on the rest of your life - I could go into super detail about it but don't worry too much, UoW would tell you early if the rules were to change. Just try your best in your subjects, and that'll result in the marks you need to get in. Honestly early entry is also an option, and typically everyone gets in that way.
thanks so much

HSC
Even if there is maths required it doesn't mean it's going be insanely difficult maths. Whatever you need they will teach you, you just have to have an open mind and be willing to learn. It might take more time for you in the subject to understand the maths basis that's within it, but if you are dedicated enough to learn it, it's not impossible. All just a matter of your perspective on it and there are bridging courses you can do, and these days you can also learn a lot of stuff online from youtube and other places
so true never thought of that

quickoats

HSC
If there are any maths components that you are struggling with, I'm sure you could transfer into Arts/Law (assuming you want to be a lawyer) or any other combined Law degree that takes your fancy. I think UoW has a PPE/Law degree which might interest you considering the subjects you take.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
You've done 11 years of maths, you can catch up on anything relevant to your studies/career from that 2 years of missed maths study pretty quickly.

You will need maths for commerce, but what level depends on the major you are studying. Even first year subjects (accounting, finance, economics and stats) will require you to be quite proficient with basic algebra, performing calculations, probabilities, fractions/percentages, interpreting if a calculation is correct etc. But if you do a major such as finance or economics, you will need to know some more advanced maths that isn't covered pre-year11/12 or in general maths (e.g. calculus, matrices and regression analysis for stuff like portfolio theory and study of CAPM theory in finance).

As has been covered above, you could avoid doing commerce, but I think the basic maths i've mentioned above is actually the type of maths that is useful in everyday scenarios so is valuable to get comfortable with if you aren't already.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Hiya Jelena,

I did a commerce degree, majored in accounting/business law and did not do maths in Year 11/12. I completed Business, Legal, Modern History, History Extension, English Advanced, English Extension and Music for the HSC; I'd say they were pretty "floaty," but doing what I liked, made the HSC that bit easier. My thought processes were that I needed to get into university. If I were to do maths, well, I would not have gotten in. Haha!

I can confirm, as a person who is not the most numerate, first year finance/statistics were hard for me (I completed first year statistics in my final semester and it was not pleasant); but perseverance is key. I made it eventually. If you choose to do commerce, believe me, you can do it too.

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
The only math you may have a little difficultly with at UoW Commerce would be the economics, finance and accounting mandatory first-year subjects. As long as you work hard in those classes, you'll be fine, and then you can move into a major more focused towards your skills e..g Marketing, Management, etc.

HSC
Hiya Jelena,

I did a commerce degree, majored in accounting/business law and did not do maths in Year 11/12. I completed Business, Legal, Modern History, History Extension, English Advanced, English Extension and Music for the HSC; I'd say they were pretty "floaty," but doing what I liked, made the HSC that bit easier. My thought processes were that I needed to get into university. If I were to do maths, well, I would not have gotten in. Haha!

I can confirm, as a person who is not the most numerate, first year finance/statistics were hard for me (I completed first year statistics in my final semester and it was not pleasant); but perseverance is key. I made it eventually. If you choose to do commerce, believe me, you can do it too.
thanks soooo much omg cannot tell u how much this means to hear that someone actually did what i can only dream of :)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
thanks soooo much omg cannot tell u how much this means to hear that someone actually did what i can only dream of :)
Woolongong may also have PAL/PASS sessions which are extra student run extra revision sessions for subjects like finance or statistics.

jackyjack96

HSC
The HSC is not your life and life doesn't end with the HSC. It's seriously NOT the be all and end all so don't beat yourself up over it.

You can always do a bridging course if you don't get the mark you're after, plus you can still do a commerce degree. Definitely don't need maths for a law degree (depends on the kind of law your thinking of I guess).

Are you just wanting to do a commerce/law degree because it seems prestigious? Because your HSC subjects (which by there way are not dropkick...) seem to be more on the humanities stream...so many more cool degrees out there!

HSC
The HSC is not your life and life doesn't end with the HSC. It's seriously NOT the be all and end all so don't beat yourself up over it.

You can always do a bridging course if you don't get the mark you're after, plus you can still do a commerce degree. Definitely don't need maths for a law degree (depends on the kind of law your thinking of I guess).

Are you just wanting to do a commerce/law degree because it seems prestigious? Because your HSC subjects (which by there way are not dropkick...) seem to be more on the humanities stream...so many more cool degrees out there!
tnaks so much and yes maybe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)