Will you ever break up because parents told you to? (1 Viewer)

samthebear

HSC
i know someone who has actually broken up with her boyfriend because her parents said so.

johony

HSC
i find it easier to just not tell my parents who i'm involved in a relationship with, because they are almost certainly going to disagree with something and tell me i can do better, blah blah blah

unless i get married or something i don't feel the need to inform them aboout my private life

evil_kitten

HSC
whats worse was that he went right off her and onto another girl within the month. man whore.
how did she even tell him?
you dont just walk up to someone you've been dating for a while and go "hey! my parents told me to dump you so see you NEVER"

evil_kitten

HSC
i find it easier to just not tell my parents who i'm involved in a relationship with, because they are almost certainly going to disagree with something and tell me i can do better, blah blah blah

unless i get married or something i don't feel the need to inform them aboout my private life
yeah thats what i do..

InV0ke

HSC
"Dump her she doesn't suit you" is all my parent say, because they know they can't stop me =)

SMP213

HSC
i would NEVER break up with my boyfriend coz of my parents. ever since he came into my life, life has been great, and im not letting go of that just coz my parents say so!!

but, i know my parents wouldnt even approve of my bf coz his muslim, even tho half my family is muslim
i dont get it!! :spzz:

Last edited:

fallen__angel

Nocturnal Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I have broken up with my current bf because my parents forced me to. But in less than a week we were together again because I knew my parents were wrong about him, and he's the sweetest, funniest, cutest, devoted person I know.

So would you break up because the parents said so? It all depends on how well your parents know the other person, how long you've known them for, and also the reason why your parents want you to end it.

In my situation, my parents didn't like him from the very start. He wasn't from the right culture (yes my parents are very prejudiced, bordering on outright racists), he doesn't speak the same ethnic language, his family isn't well-off enough, etc etc. I wanted to be a good girl, but I knew he wasn't the evil person my parents were making him out to be. In fact they'd never even met him (whenever I offered for a 'meeting' they reject it and say why should they meet him).

That said, even if you suspect your parents are being plain bastards, they are just trying to do the best for you. It is important that you explain to them why you want to keep the relationship, understand the reason why they want you to break it off (better be a damn good reason too).

I followed my heart, and despite the hardships we've gone through (and still going thru) due to my parents, we're still together after 2.5 years =)

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
GF's parents tried to break us up because my mum told them i was mentally impaired and violent.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
I have broken up with my current bf because my parents forced me to. But in less than a week we were together again because I knew my parents were wrong about him, and he's the sweetest, funniest, cutest, devoted person I know.

So would you break up because the parents said so? It all depends on how well your parents know the other person, how long you've known them for, and also the reason why your parents want you to end it.

In my situation, my parents didn't like him from the very start. He wasn't from the right culture (yes my parents are very prejudiced, bordering on outright racists), he doesn't speak the same ethnic language, his family isn't well-off enough, etc etc. I wanted to be a good girl, but I knew he wasn't the evil person my parents were making him out to be. In fact they'd never even met him (whenever I offered for a 'meeting' they reject it and say why should they meet him).

That said, even if you suspect your parents are being plain bastards, they are just trying to do the best for you. It is important that you explain to them why you want to keep the relationship, understand the reason why they want you to break it off (better be a damn good reason too).

I followed my heart, and despite the hardships we've gone through (and still going thru) due to my parents, we're still together after 2.5 years =)
Different cultures are a bitch. Its also a pain in the ass when you have conservative parents who can't accept the ever increasing reality of an interracial relationship.

beaf

HSC
I also find it easier to just not tell my parents if i am in a relationship. It will be the big meet and greet and my parents would just judge everything, what they look like, wear, their family and my parents are hugely racist so they know about non of the interracial relationships I'v had.

And hell no would I break up with my boy friend for them, they wouldn't outright tell me too because they know I would'nt but they would certainly try and persvuade me.

gcchick

Come at me bro
HSC
Uni Grad
Hell no. I'm 18 in a week so they can't make me break up with someone anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)