windschuttle (1 Viewer)

da_butterfree

HSC
N/A
hey wud ne1 have ne info on what windschuttle actually wrote in fabrication of aborignal history??? cat be bothered reading the book... and internet tell only abt what ppl say abt his writings.

also since i m new to australian history (migrated 9 months ago) wud ne1 be kind enof to gimm a gist abt the tasmanian genocide?

thanks!

Jennibeans

HSC
tasmanian genocide. very basically european settlers wiped out the entire aboriginal population in Tasmania from memory Trugannini was the last one left there. What Widnshuttle is saying is that European settlers didn't kill that many Aboriginal people and the genocide never happened.

B1

he has also been critising reynolds if that helps. ive read one of those sms articles and he is such a prat. plus i totally disagree with his views on history. he says that the evidence itself will restrict the purpose for which it can be used. perhaps, yet the historian's bias is not eliminated!what does everyone think?

Plebeian

Evidence can probably only restrict a historian's bias to reasonable levels, as in stopping them from presenting an entirely wrong argument (such as that the Holocaust didn't happen, etc.).

veriante

HSC
We looked at windschuttle during our history class and it pissed us off due to the sheer idiocy of the man. He wrote that no such thing as the killing of Aborigines happened and if it did, it was only so little. He also claimed that everyone was looking at the History of Australia in too dark a fashion and that they should be proud of what happened...i suspect he included the wiping out of Aborigines in that statement. John Howard gave him an award of it ...

He's kind of like Irving, who claims that the holocaust did not happen...it was all 'fabricated' you see?

baxter

Little Miss
HSC
hahah stupid stupid windschuttle.

Quite selective of his use of evidence really, and thus conjures an image of Australia pre invasion by underestimating the numbers of indigenous people.

He's been widely ciricised for saying that there was never a genoicide of the Aboriginal people, however you've gotta note that he's not the first or the last, and just one of the many in fact who argue this. In a legal sense, it wans't genocide, then again, it's comparable to Rewanda in that you can spend as much time as the UN did arguing the meaning of genocide but ultimately you're still standing back and watching a race rapidly decline in population.

If you can get your head around his ignorance and misrepresentation (dare I venture into English Frontline?) of the truth by his selective approach to the evidence he uses ((then again, every historian does this!) then it's a good read to get a completely different oppinion to the majority of books that have recently been flung onto the market. I'm going to refer to Rosemary Neill here - a good read, but fairly typical in your controversial "aim to correct the injustices" read.

He's kinda like Australia's version of Michael Moore who recently misrepresented the truth in relation to the war on terror in Dude Where's my Country?.

Unlike Irving, WIndschuttle was completely aware of the injustices committed upon the Aboriginal population, Irving ont he other hand was not meerely ignorant but naive too.

Jennibeans

HSC
i dont understand how anyone can give him credit. hes so selective with the evidence he'll use and basically did everything he criticised reynolds ryan & plomley for.

the questions

Im doing windschuttle/Henry Reynolds etc etc debate for my extension major project and its actully not as black and white as Windschuttle is a wanker. He actully has points that cannot be disproven, he has gone to soooo much detail and lots of his points are correct. Anyway not saying I support him by any means, but I would advice all to read his Quadrent articles (academic journal where he published heaps of his ideas)

Sasky

HSC
there is an amazing study day for history extension students where he's coming to give a talk, and another prominent speaker will be there too - a she! - and I'm really looking forward to it. Do you guys want more info on it? Our teach gave it to us 2day, I really want to see how he presents his views!

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
Originally posted by Sasky
there is an amazing study day for history extension students where he's coming to give a talk, and another prominent speaker will be there too - a she! - and I'm really looking forward to it. Do you guys want more info on it? Our teach gave it to us 2day, I really want to see how he presents his views!
any info would be great...thanks :)

Sasky

HSC
Hey ppl, finally dug it out of my bag, here's what it says on the first page:

EXTENSION HISTORY STUDY DAY

Historiography Study Day
Prof Stuart Macintyre - The History Wars
Keith Windschuttle - The Fabrication of Aboriginal History
Prof Lyndall Ryan - Representing Conflict on the Colonial Frontier

STUDY DAY EXCURSION
Wed 2 June 2004, 9.30 am - 2.30 pm
Venue: The Footbridge Theatre
at the Footbridge over Parramatta Rd, University of Sydnbey
Enquries: (02) 9417 2091 FREECALL 1800 688 395

ENTRY BY TICKET - $25 per student (GST exempt) inc. notes
To book: FAX us the Booking Form and we will post tickets and a tax invoice to be payable after the study day.

There's more on the back ppl, and I don't know where my teach got the info from, but it sounds really good, Windschuttle will be talking about his book and (what I'm really looking forward to) Prof Ryan who wrote 'The Aborignial Tasmanians' will probably exploring his argument and her own, and there's time for questions for both the speakers! I'd love to see some, well really all, of you guys there! Ask your teachers about it and get back to me to see if you guys are going...

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
thanks for that sasky :). That'd be really interesting to attend...apparantly windschuttle doesn't make too many appearances. He came to our school a couple of years ago, and too many people questioned him, so when the teachers asked him to talk to our grade this year, he said no...

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
We have barely even mentioned windshuttle in class...:(

This sucks cos it semms as if he is fairly significant in the ext hist course. I'll be enquiring about this on Monday :D

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
David Irving is meant to becoming out to Australia in september...if he can get a visa

Sasky

HSC
no problemo...

:D

"David Irving is meant to becoming out to Australia in september...if he can get a visa..." < lol>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)