wordsworth/malouf- module A (1 Viewer)

Naji

whats going on doesnt anyone do these texts?

my school does and in my opinion i think they are pretty damn good?

lets have sum discussion pplz....

tempco

HSC
My school is also using these text. Most of it is simple, when relating back to the syllabus and all. One thing that I'm unsure of is the techniques side of it.. I was told that techniques (or "how" the message is conveyed) is really important in all text, and I can't seem to find any substantial points for An Imaginary Life. Wordsworth's poems are poems, and all those poetic devices we've been learning since year 7 are there. Hmm.. help?

(I'm quite adept at this module, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask :D)

Naji

there is plenty in malofs novel!... critics have said hes book is like a poem anyway... he uses just as much rich poetic language as wordsworth

look at the way he describes nature, hes relationhip with the wild child (symbolises nature), how he metaphorically sees himself integrating with nature ("I am turning into the landscape")... there is plenty to be found trust me

arn_e

HSC
Originally posted by NekkidSerpent
My school is also using these text. Most of it is simple, when relating back to the syllabus and all. One thing that I'm unsure of is the techniques side of it.. I was told that techniques (or "how" the message is conveyed) is really important in all text, and I can't seem to find any substantial points for An Imaginary Life. Wordsworth's poems are poems, and all those poetic devices we've been learning since year 7 are there. Hmm.. help?

(I'm quite adept at this module, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask :D)
adept,sorry but no 1 is adept at this. Sure u can talk about the physical side of wordworth and malouf but is only until u reach the higher levels of interpretation that you may call urself "adept"

ie. The transformations and the movement from the simple to the complex to the enlightenend

Naji

i agree arn_e..

these texts are of the nature that u can not enter into them in our normal state of consciousness... what the poetry and the novel is saying about humanity's relationship with nature is at a far deeper level then some may think...look deep into the texts and u shall see...

arn_e

HSC
ie. greed, social handicaps, these are the things that mould the flower...

Naji

lol...

nah seriously cum on pplz there must be more skools that do these texts! post what u think about the poetry and the novel...

SmokedSalmon

HSC
Well you could say that. The Wordsworth poems are very invigorating and tranquil and Malouf's book is just brilliant. I'm reading it again actually for the 5th time.
When I study Module A it doesn't feel like a burdern or a pain in the butt... but if I do Module B all hell breaks loose. Probably cause I am studying King Lear and I am so confused about how to set out this essay. I know my productions in detail but how the hell do I incorporate readings into it?? Ah well... I'll let WW poetry propel me to "elevated thoughts"...

Naji

sounds like were on the same level... im doing king lear as well

king lear is just something thats always gonna scare ppl coz its just soooo big... in terms of what u need to know

and to answer ur concern... productions usually fall into a category eg. school of thought, interpretation

anyway this is a malouf/wordsworth thread so lets not go down that track too much... elevated thoughts here we come...

not many schools do these texts right?

tempco

HSC
OK, I'll stay in my world, where I'm happy adept... consciousness? weh? hrmm.. now you've just shattered all my confidence, right before the HSC :D

I agree with you people regarding WW/IL being one of the better text in English... well, An Imaginary Life was the only text I enjoyed reading. Didn't like the poems though... that's just me.

And one more thing.. just to make sure. That higher understanding of the text, enlightenment and such.. there's no need to delve into them, right? Strictly speaking, it isn't required for the HSC?

Last edited:

Naji

yeh but if u can show this 'deeper meaning' in ur writing then why not do it? the markers can only be impressed by it if u do it right... it shows u know what they are going on about not just on a superficial level...

braindead

HSC
im doing ww and malouf2, but 1st time i herd about techniques!!!!this module dosnt ask for techniques 'how' is not relevant its simply 'compare.' Dont make me panic!!!!!!!

tempco

HSC
The 'how' aspect of all text should be addressed in all modules, but with more emphasis in Module B (Well, that's what I heard, from a reliable source).

Naji

the 'how' applies to all modules... u need back up from ur texts not just generalised statements

tempco

HSC
Back to the deeper meanings of the two text, are you referring to the 'elevated thoughts' of WW, which had a therapeutic value, and how memory also "healed" him during his life in the city? or something even deeper than that?

And in the case of Ovid, was it basically him assimilating with nature?

Thanks!

Naji

its this idea of being able to acheive trancendence through nature... a trance like state... like u would get from meditation or yoga

it applies to both WW and malouf... they both transcend their physical bodies... which leads ovid to be at one with nature like u said

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)