Workshop - Improving Your Cadetship/Intern/Grad Applications (Expression of interest) (1 Viewer)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
UPDATE: Thread for the workshop is below
http://community.boredofstudies.org...detship-internship-graduate-applications.html

Hi all,

I am proposing to run an interactive workshop aimed at assisting students in getting through the highly competitive recruitment processes when they apply for cadetships, internships, vacation programs and/or graduate programs. This is aimed at students who are serious about maximising their employability in a tough graduate job market.

From personal experience, I often find that students with decent credentials experience setbacks in applying for these positions because of the way their application is presented. This workshop is designed to provide useful tools for students who want to make that step up from having a mediocre quality application to a good quality application and ultimately increase their employability when they graduate from university.

So instead of showing you the basics on how to write a resume, for example, this workshop is more focused on how to write a good quality resume which has a better chance of being successful in the recruitment process. Other aspects will include (but are not limited to):

• Techniques to improve on mediocre responses to application questions

• Real-time simulations of some aspects of the competitive recruitment process

• Examples of good quality application responses to highlight the standard of candidates that an organisation will often see in the recruitment process

What makes this workshop different to careers seminars run at universities is that:

• Material is written primarily from the perspective of former applicants (including myself) who have been through the competitive recruitment process themselves (several times) and have a broader view of recruitment processes and standards across multiple organisations rather than one or a select few. These people can also provide their own personal experiences of what it feels like for an applicant to go through the recruitment process, what mistakes they've learned from that students should look out for, and can empathise with students who will be going through this rather daunting process (rather than being purely from the organisation’s perspective). That being said, there will also be some useful input from people who have experience in running these types of competitive recruitment process themselves.

• Tips and examples provided will be very specific compared to the broader advice provided in careers seminars about what makes a high quality applicant. For example, rather than the advice being broadly ‘tailor your application to the company’, there will be information on specific ways you can tailor your application according to the role and the organisation.

The workshop is expected to take a full day and take place in late February 2015 or early March 2015.

Since this will be the first time this type of workshop will be run, I am currently gauging the interest in this. If there are enough people interested, we will proceed with the resources required to make it happen. University students, those who have graduated (and are looking for graduate positions) and high school students are all encouraged to attend.

Please let me know if you are interested in attending this workshop by either PM or simply indicating this in the thread by 30th November 2014.

Cheers,
Trebla

Last edited:

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Expressions of interest: Workshop - Improving Your Cadetship/Intern/Grad Applicat

I think adding a mock interview would be helpful, and then subsequently providing feedback

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Re: Expressions of interest: Workshop - Improving Your Cadetship/Intern/Grad Applicat

I think adding a mock interview would be helpful, and then subsequently providing feedback
That's something definitely on the cards for this workshop

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Re: Workshop - Improving Your Cadetship/Intern/Grad Applications (Expression of inter

keen/10

Great idea !

mreditor16

HSC
Re: Workshop - Improving Your Cadetship/Intern/Grad Applications (Expression of inter

very interested :)

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC

very interested :)

Nukeboy

HSC
N/A

Ooh I am definitely keen :D

simplyinsanity

HSC

Interested! :)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

Keen

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

Bump

pHyRe

HSC

interested

such_such

HSC

Interested ty!!!!

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

Bump.

Thinking of doing workshop as a day session about the recruitment process and mock interviews (if there is sufficient demand) will be held on a separate day given that it will be more individual/personalised.

SGSII

HSC
Uni Grad

Keen on attending!

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad

Interested!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

Sounds like a great initiative. Hopefully people take this up as these workshops can be a real value add for individuals.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Oh no....I just saw this thread right now. missed the dead line by one day, but I am really interested:)

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad

Wherez the sponsors. Networkin cuz.

yma

HSC

Interested

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)