• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

World Youth Day 08 (2 Viewers)

WYD08

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Have you even read this thread?

Nowhere near that many people are coming. It's been seriously overestimated, and therefore so too have any economic benefits.

gnrlies

HSC
I think it is a bad idea because it sets a bad precedent.

The government shouldn't be spending money on an event that is obviously exclusive. Only a certain group in society will reap the benefits. The catholics might say everyone is welcome, but the whole point is that only catholics would want to go. Its a bit like saying to a souths, or a norths fan that it doesn't matter that your teams were booted out because you can always support the roosters or manly. It doesn't work like that.

So of course people are going to be left out and it just creates a precedent for other religions to say - hey you gave all this money to the catholics, what are you going to do for us. What possible reason could we give to deny a group of muslims, or jews, or hindus, money for a similar religious event. We are a secular state and government shouldn't get involved in religion.

The whole arguement that goes - "oh but you funded the olympics" is flawed because the olympics was universal in appeal (few Australians, or sydneysiders at the least) wouldn't have been captivated by the olympics. It had clear and proven tourism advantages, and above all was not exclusive. It was inclusive.

ALeksa01

HSC
Im not personally attending WYD but i believe that people should get out their and experience this, so it might have been over-estimated at least we get the experince to see people come together, there is so much bad publicity that were forgetting that WYD is for the youth, so that we could be a part of something greater, if it wasnt for the trials i would go, i mean if theyre already building the site and preparing it , we might as well check it out,

gnrlies

HSC
ALeksa01 said:
Im not personally attending WYD but i believe that people should get out their and experience this, so it might have been over-estimated at least we get the experince to see people come together, there is so much bad publicity that were forgetting that WYD is for the youth, so that we could be a part of something greater, if it wasnt for the trials i would go, i mean if theyre already building the site and preparing it , we might as well check it out,
Do you not understand that it is a religious event?

This is where the problem lies. Not that it is a youth event.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
gnrlies said:
I think it is a bad idea because it sets a bad precedent.

The government shouldn't be spending money on an event that is obviously exclusive. Only a certain group in society will reap the benefits. The catholics might say everyone is welcome, but the whole point is that only catholics would want to go. Its a bit like saying to a souths, or a norths fan that it doesn't matter that your teams were booted out because you can always support the roosters or manly. It doesn't work like that.

So of course people are going to be left out and it just creates a precedent for other religions to say - hey you gave all this money to the catholics, what are you going to do for us. What possible reason could we give to deny a group of muslims, or jews, or hindus, money for a similar religious event. We are a secular state and government shouldn't get involved in religion.

The whole arguement that goes - "oh but you funded the olympics" is flawed because the olympics was universal in appeal (few Australians, or sydneysiders at the least) wouldn't have been captivated by the olympics. It had clear and proven tourism advantages, and above all was not exclusive. It was inclusive.
Yeah but Souths fans all deserve to be herded into randwick racecourse and gassed.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I can see why it would be SUPERFABULOUS if you were actually catholic. Like imagine if the racecourse was filled with Iron Maiden fans or something. Awesome, IF you're an Iron Maiden fan.

Road Runner

HSC
scarybunny said:
Have you even read this thread?

Nowhere near that many people are coming. It's been seriously overestimated, and therefore so too have any economic benefits.
I have read it actually. Even if it is 'overestimated', you cannot deny the fact tha there is still a significantly large number of people who are going to attend WYD. And by 'economical benefits' it doesnt mean that the benefits have to be 'financial benefits'. Having significant numbers of people coming to Australia can also have economical benefits by promoting future tourism into the country.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Schroedinger said:
Dude, that'd be awesome.

If WYD was an Iron Maiden concert I'd be in like flynn.
So we won't deny the Catholics their party, provided we can invite half a million Iron Maiden fans to party in Sydney next year. And get it government funded.

I don't really care about the event itself, because it's no inconvenience for me to stay out of the city. I just wish people would stop acting like the Catholic church is inclusive and loving, and pretending that WYD benefits everyone. They're the most fire and brimstone branch of Christianity, and the Pope hates Queen. How can you not love Bohemian Rhapsody??

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
*thinks of how difficult it will to be to get into work during WYD week; turns pale*

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Yeah it's very silly to shut down the entire city for the Pope. Olympic Park is theoretically better, but then the Pope would probably stay in the city and the roads would be shut down when he was being transported.

Unless you transported him by helicopter...

Actually where is he staying? Where does the Pope sleep at night?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
No idea. Some private residence.

Also, I love it how the government is all "oh, just don't work for a week." Hah.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Yeah not everyone can just stop working for a week, GOVERNMENT.

Some of us (not me, but some of us) have real jobs. Or live in the city. Those poor people.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Shyeah and I can't just go to my boss and say "hey, can't work, WYD and all" although actually come to think of it, I keep on saying "glad I'm not going to be in the city for THAT." Hmm.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
He stays with Cardinal Pell.

IT'S ABOUT MOLESTING YOUNG BOYS!
I bet that's in his Pope rider.

10 bottles cranberry juice
5 bags nacho cheese doritos
7 naive altar boys
cheese platter to serve 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)