Worried my school's marking doesn't correlate with HSC marking... (1 Viewer)

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
So, three days to go and I'm fretting over my marks like everyone else. But my main concern is how my school marked compared to the HSC marking centres. Internally, I am on high 90s for all of my subjects except one for which I am on 90. I am worried that my marks don't correlate with HSC marking, especially in 3 of my subjects where my teachers haven't had HSC marking experience.

Is anyone else experiencing the same fears? I just worry I'm going to get my results on Wednesday and they're much lower than my internals because my school was more generous or something.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
fallenstar said:
So, three days to go and I'm fretting over my marks like everyone else. But my main concern is how my school marked compared to the HSC marking centres. Internally, I am on high 90s for all of my subjects except one for which I am on 90. I am worried that my marks don't correlate with HSC marking, especially in 3 of my subjects where my teachers haven't had HSC marking experience.

Is anyone else experiencing the same fears? I just worry I'm going to get my results on Wednesday and they're much lower than my internals because my school was more generous or something.
It's definitely possible. My school's marking is quite generous in few of my subjects such as Buisness Studies. But my bio's teacher marks quite harshly, I never got over 90%...except few exams where I did extremely well - but that was a fluke...

ANyway, marking issue is quite prevalent for subjects like Modern History, Ancient History which are humanities because you may actually lose marks if markers don't comform to your view. But in general, HSC marking is done twice for subjects like that (even triple marking!!)

Zephyrio

HSC
Everyone's nervous about this...

Your school's marking may correlate to the board's marking too, just that you mightn't have performed as well as expected for the HSC. Until results come out, I don't think there's any use worrying.

OMGRESULTSINONLYAFEWDAYSAHHHH.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Also, you never get your raw marks, so you have no idea if the raw marking was easier/harder/the same as in school.

dp624

HSC
Our school uses last year's marks and assumes that cohorts perform similarly. True enough and it should be accurate

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I can't believe you're worrying about something you can't change.

School's marking schemes are COMMONLY different to HSC marking schemes. For example, my school's marking criteria in English exams is nothing like the criteria in HSC English exams as they actually allocate marks to each text lol and for Extension Maths teachers take marks off for a bad conclusion in mathematical induction, whereas in the HSC exams there are no marks allocated to the conclusion.

It's a common sight to see that what some schools find unacceptable in response are actually accepted in the HSC.

dp624

HSC
Trebla said:
It's a common sight to see that what some schools find unacceptable in response are actually accepted in the HSC.
That and HSC markers mark easier in general, because they're not working to discriminate students anymore. I tihnk

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
Trebla said:
I can't believe you're worrying about something you can't change.
It's pretty hard not to stress over things like this when it's only three days to go...

dp624 said:
That and HSC markers mark easier in general, because they're not working to discriminate students anymore. I tihnk
Yeah, moderators on this site seem to confirm that view.

Also, do you guys think that teachers who have had HSC marking experience are necessarily more accurate in their internal marking?

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
No, some of them intentionally mark harder. One of my Chemistry teachers was a HSC marker, and he marked quite nastily in the trial exam. There was a question about naming a certain compound and he deducted marks if there was even one comma or dash missing in the name.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Trebla said:
No, some of them intentionally mark harder. One of my Chemistry teachers was a HSC marker, and he marked quite nastily in the trial exam. There was a question about naming a certain compound and he deducted marks if there was even one comma or dash missing in the name.
wtf, that's just a plain stupidity.

dp624

HSC
Trebla said:
Oh i meant that people mark easier in externals. lol

dp624

HSC
lyounamu said:
to discriminate between students to give ranks internally

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Trebla said:
Yeah, my economics teacher said that when she marks essays in the HSC she adds 2 marks onto whatever mark she would give that essay internally. Ie a 17/20 in an internal exam would be a 19/20 in the HSC

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
midifile said:
Yeah, my economics teacher said that when she marks essays in the HSC she adds 2 marks onto whatever mark she would give that essay internally. Ie a 17/20 in an internal exam would be a 19/20 in the HSC
lol, so you get 2/20 under any circumstances?

lol - just jks

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
dp624 said:
Oh i meant that people mark easier in externals. lol
I was answering to fallenstar lol

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
Trebla said:
Wow. Anal retentive.

My Modern teacher seems a little like that; she has been a HSC marker for years and rarely gave full marks for internal exam responses. She marked harder on the Core Study (WW1) than any other section as the whole state does it. Maybe she morphs into an easier marker when she attends the external centre, hah. I think my Extension History teacher might be similar.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
lyounamu said:
Welcome to world of my school's craptacular science teachers haha...

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
midifile said:
cooool
comforting for you lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)