worst/best english novel you have ever read in school? (1 Viewer)

deloving

HSC
Worst novel I have read has to be Mysteries of Udolpho (Extension 1).

Best: Animal Farm and The Book Thief. Animal Farm ended too quickly, I wanted more. The Book Thief was too long, but for most part it was fantastic - especially the end. Snow Falling on Cedars was really nice as well.

EDIT. Fuuuuark thread digging.

Last edited:

Haruka

HSC
Worst was The Chrysalids in year 8. There was just way too much to remember.

This year we're doing Looking for Alibrandi and I finished it before everyone else. Loved it.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Best: Hunger Games (Year 10) and any book by Roald Dahl (Matilda, The Twits etc.) (Read during primary school :D)
Worst: Taming of the Shrew (Year 10)

Verify

HSC
Best : To Kill a Mockingbird ( Year 9 <3 )
Worst : Probably what I'm doing now - Catcher in the Rye, I'm finding it difficult to analyse it well :/

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Best: The Merchant of Venice
Worst: A book called Dougy, undescribably bad. I'll leave it up to the Wikipedia plot summary for you to judge:

'The story details the events surrounding an aboriginal family living in southwest Queensland, Australia. The story centers around Dougy and his sister Gracey, who has been selected for the State 100m running championships.
The story opens with a flashback to a picture in Dougy's past of him and his family sitting by the riverbank in their town drinking. Dougy spends most of this time monologuing about his family and when a flood comes they have to try to escape.'

It's exactly as riveting as it sounds.

IrLOL

HSC
Pretty much any Shakespeare is the worst. Thank god for no-fear Shakespeare on Spark notes. Also "The dramatic works of Sophocles" was no fun.

Also RAW by Scott Monk was terrible, I pity all the fools in standard English who are reading it now, I read it in year 8.

Now best is a hard question. For some reason I really enjoyed John Keats poems, but those aren't exactly a novel. Otherwise I think I have disliked most texts in English...

pavophobic

HSC
N/A
Best: A Portrait of the Artist as A Young Man by James Joyce (Currently reading Joyce's Ulysses and by the time I've finished it, it will probably be my favourite :smile:)
Worst: Tomorrow, When The War Began.

Chocco starfish

HSC
Uni Grad
Worst by far is the wave by morton dumbfuck, and the best was nothing so i thought fuck it and read game of thrones.

amelia81

HSC
Best - macbeth and the great gatsby
Worst - taming of the shrew

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)