Worth of a University Degree? (1 Viewer)

Exemplify

HSC
Is it declining because of the saturation in just about every white collar industry?

Is going to university really worth it?

Discuss.

Demise

HSC
I think for the next 5-10 years, a Uni degree is still great to have. In possibly a decade or two, a uni degree may not be the most wanted thing with the significant rise in technology and online courses and new forms of being accredited, unless working for a govt. job. :p

In some cases for software engineers/computer scientists, a university degree gets them the interview, to get the job you need past experience, extreme logical thinking and being quick on your feet, and frankly, a uni cannot provide that to someone. Only comes with hard work and dedication to their field.

niloony

HSC
If you plan to live beyond 25 and you do a technical degree most certainly yes. Don't listen to media hype.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Is it declining because of the saturation in just about every white collar industry?

Is going to university really worth it?

Discuss.
Saturation? Maybe in some areas. Depends what degree you want.

I was on the train home with a friend, she does Media and Communications. She was reading an article that said there are like... 200 graduate spots, and 2500 graduates. And then you read on, and it said science and mathematics had quite a few graduate spots but not enough graduates or something like that.

Plus, what's the alternative? No degree?

enoilgam

HSC
Plus, what's the alternative? No degree?
This - yes a uni degree is losing its worth, but that doesnt make it worthless. The vast majority of high paying careers requiry some sort of uni qualification. So really, whilst it isnt as valuable as it was say 20 or 30 years ago, a uni degree is still for the most part a necessity for entry into many fields.

In saying that though, I think that too many people are going to uni and the standards for entry are way too lax. Most degrees are extremely difficult and the standards of entry are disproportional to this. Take a business degree for example, you can get in with an ATAR of around 50 or 60 - in the vast majority of cases, people with an ATAR this low arent cut out for such a degree.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
This - yes a uni degree is losing its worth, but that doesnt make it worthless. The vast majority of high paying careers requiry some sort of uni qualification. So really, whilst it isnt as valuable as it was say 20 or 30 years ago, a uni degree is still for the most part a necessity for entry into many fields.

In saying that though, I think that too many people are going to uni and the standards for entry are way too lax. Most degrees are extremely difficult and the standards of entry are disproportional to this. Take a business degree for example, you can get in with an ATAR of around 50 or 60 - in the vast majority of cases, people with an ATAR this low arent cut out for such a degree.
Though arguably, arguably... if they aren't cut out for it - then they should fail.

But then again, I hear in 3rd year Finance - they're still plugging in numbers into the Black-Scholes equation.

How that passes for an education...

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
ATAR doesn't necessarily correlate to ability in the course. You could excel in a degree, because it's what your interested in; while your HSC subjects just don't fit your skillset. I know people going from 50 UAI to HDs at uni, and 99ers to Passers.

enoilgam

HSC
ATAR doesn't necessarily correlate to ability in the course. You could excel in a degree, because it's what your interested in; while your HSC subjects just don't fit your skillset. I know people going from 50 UAI to HDs at uni, and 99ers to Passers.
Thats true to an extent, but for the majority of people who get less than say 60 or less, they just cant cut it. I go to uni with a few people in this bracket and to be honest most of them shouldnt be at uni. But in saying that, one of my mates got in the 60's and he is doing very well in his degree - but his problem was laziness as opposed to lack of ability.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Thats true to an extent, but for the majority of people who get less than say 60 or less, they just cant cut it. I go to uni with a few people in this bracket and to be honest most of them shouldnt be at uni. But in saying that, one of my mates got in the 60's and he is doing very well in his degree - but his problem was laziness as opposed to lack of ability.
Keep in mind, it depends on the school they went to as well. I went to a 600+ ranked school, and there were some pretty smart people there that got bad UAIs/ATARs, simply because the resources, training and skills necessary to do well in that environment weren't provided. They're doing fine now in university. Change the environment, change the outcome.

Selador

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
On the contray, the 'saturation' will probably mean you'll be at a disadvantage if you don't have a degree.

Everybody will have one, so while they will be devalued, just as the HSC replaced the SC as the minimum level of education expected in many jobs, having a uni degree is now becoming the expected norm.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
In Australia, I'd say give it another 20 years and a university degree will be pretty much worthless

think about it like this: you have 100 million dollars - that's significant

is it really still significant if everyone else in the world has 100 million?

Its much worse in America ATM
e.g.
They churn out something like 60,000 lawyers a year and jobs in the legal field are actually disappearing with barely any new jobs being created. I read it on a news website

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
On the contray, the 'saturation' will probably mean you'll be at a disadvantage if you don't have a degree.

Everybody will have one, so while they will be devalued, just as the HSC replaced the SC as the minimum level of education expected in many jobs, having a uni degree is now becoming the expected norm.
I doubt that. There are so many career paths which don't need a degree and pursuing one for the sake of it will end up being a waste of time.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
In Australia, I'd say give it another 20 years and a university degree will be pretty much worthless

Its much worse in America ATM
e.g.
They churn out something like 60,000 lawyers a year and jobs in the legal field are actually disappearing with barely any new jobs being created. I read it on a news website
It's a similar situation here as well. With most universities requiring Law students to also complete another degree (e.g. commerce), we've found a way to nullify part of the issue.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
It's a similar situation here as well. With most universities requiring Law students to also complete another degree (e.g. commerce), we've found a way to nullify part of the issue.
The core of the problem is that people are predicting lifetime success simply by obtaining a university degree; driving more and more people to go to university and they saturate the market thus bringing down the value of a degree.

Last edited:

FreeLearner

HSC
This is the exact fact they introduced something called the "ATAR". Let me remind you though, Australia has always had a high labour shortage, meaning even though many people are getting into white collar jobs, they have placed high restrictions on who can go to university and who can't. That is why not everyone can achieve a good ATAR, most people on this forum are actually really good if not excellent in comparison to the state. Due to this factor, they are already limiting the numbers that go to Uni. Although, people over the past few decades have been increasingly trying to get into University, as such, many courses have actually increased their UAI/ATAR over the years, as they become more competitive due to the fact that more people are pursuing University. Finally, I'm almost certain a degree will almost NEVER lose its value in this type of society, maybe once society evolves into a world like the show "jetsons" then maybe yes. For now employers are still asking for a degree in almost every field. Although IT fields are the special ones since Tafe can actually be better than UNI.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
This is the exact fact they introduced something called the "ATAR". Let me remind you though, Australia has always had a high labour shortage, meaning even though many people are getting into white collar jobs, they have placed high restrictions on who can go to university and who can't. That is why not everyone can achieve a good ATAR, most people on this forum are actually really good if not excellent in comparison to the state. Due to this factor, they are already limiting the numbers that go to Uni. Although, people over the past few decades have been increasingly trying to get into University, as such, many courses have actually increased their UAI/ATAR over the years, as they become more competitive due to the fact that more people are pursuing University. Finally, I'm almost certain a degree will almost NEVER lose its value in this type of society, maybe once society evolves into a world like the show "jetsons" then maybe yes. For now employers are still asking for a degree in almost every field. Although IT fields are the special ones since Tafe can actually be better than UNI.
Universities don't micromanage the spots in their courses to cater for the labour market; they do it to cater for the logistical limitations of teaching X amount of students. The ATAR is a reflection of demand for courses but just because there is an increase in the ATAR cut-off, this does not imply that they have necessarily cut spots. In fact, the federal government has relaxed restrictions on university spots to increase places.

starshine02

HSC
I think getting a degree of some sort is still worth it although it's just some areas where it might not be that great anymore.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I doubt that. There are so many career paths which don't need a degree and pursuing one for the sake of it will end up being a waste of time.
In the USA you pretty much need a bachelors degree to be a receptionist - it's not necessary for the role, but if most of your applicants have bachelors degrees (they have very little chance of getting a decent job in their field), it drives out unskilled workers and bachelor becomes the standard.

Entry level graduate jobs are asking for 'years of relevant experience'. You'll need postgrad qualifications as a minimum to get a basic grad role in the future.

FreeLearner

HSC
Universities don't micromanage the spots in their courses to cater for the labour market; they do it to cater for the logistical limitations of teaching X amount of students. The ATAR is a reflection of demand for courses but just because there is an increase in the ATAR cut-off, this does not imply that they have necessarily cut spots. In fact, the federal government has relaxed restrictions on university spots to increase places.
That is true, I must say, these days Universities have dramatically increased numbers, and as a result more people are getting into Uni due to lesser restrictions. But at the same time if you want a white collar job, having a UNI degree in most cases is better than not having it (most cases), I am sure for a long time to come, Employers will keep that stigma when interviewing for a job, they are still looking for UNI degrees. Although I must agree that yes they have lost value, a lot of people have told me that like my uncle and parents. I am sure though that Unemployment will surely rise, due to the fact, some industries are literally becoming non-existent and at the same time new industries are more efficient = less workers. (if that makes any sense) and that goes to blue and white collar jobs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)