• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Would you have an abortion? (1 Viewer)

Would you have an abortion?

• Yes

Votes: 82 56.2%
  • No

Votes: 64 43.8%

• Total voters

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The thing is, a fertalized egg will develop into what your eyes percieve as human.
Yea but it's not a human yet, so I see no problem with getting rid of it. It's like charging murderers with the crimes of all the babies those people POSSIBLY would of had and their children... their childrens children... ad infinitum.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Yea but it's not a human yet, so I see no problem with getting rid of it. It's like charging murderers with the crimes of all the babies those people POSSIBLY would of had and their children... their childrens children... ad infinitum.

how so? these hypothetical people were not pregnant at the time.A pregnancy is more than just a 'possibility' of a child.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Ranger Stacie said:
how so? these hypothetical people were not pregnant at the time.A pregnancy is more than just a 'possibility' of a child.
A pregnancy is more than just a 'possibility' of a child.
What are you talking about? Of course it's just a possibility... untill the actual existance of the childs conscious occurs then there is nothing there but tissue.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
What are you talking about? Of course it's just a possibility... untill the actual existance of the childs conscious occurs then there is nothing there but tissue.

the child is there...not fully developed but it is still a child.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
Ranger Stacie said:
Listen to her - she speaks truth :)

Not-That-Bright, consciousness does not define a human - and I'm not denying that it can be argued that an unborn child does have one. It is their Chromsomes, the DNA that defines them as human. A feotus, no matter how small it is, has 46 chromosomes. It is essentially the same as a fully developed human. Who also, guess guess, has the same amount of chromsomes.

YBK

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
When do u think the child's conscious begins to exist?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
YBK said:
Not-That-Bright, consciousness does not define a human - and I'm not denying that it can be argued that an unborn child does have one. It is their Chromsomes, the DNA that defines them as human. A feotus, no matter how small it is, has 46 chromosomes. It is essentially the same as a fully developed human. Who also, guess guess, has the same amount of chromsomes.
Well while it may biologically be a human, if it has not displayed a conscious than the human, as we will come to know it, has not yet begun to exist.

YBK

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Well while it may biologically be a human, if it has not displayed a conscious than the human, as we will come to know it, has not yet begun to exist.
No, we don't all know it at all.

Using your logic, a new born child does not have a conscious. Why don't you just kill that too?

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
lots of stuff

1.) how can you not think that experience (and therefore knowledge on more than one level) *doesn't* make an opinion more valid than one based on say pure science or pure morality? maybe valid isn't the word i'm looking for; i think we're sort of applying the term in different ways. what i mean by valid is that the opinion based on experience as well as science, personal morality etc is one that has had the opportunity to look at the issue in depth.

2.) however (despite how i may have sounded today) that doesn't mean i consider other opinions (specifically those not backed up by personal experience etc) INvalid; everyone has a right to an opinion and i'm willing to listen to them. i hope it's not a big shock that i consider my own opinion to be the most valid/correct/whatever one though... everyone feels the same about their own opinion, at least in areas they know a lot about / feel strongly about

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
YBK said:
No, we don't all know it at all.

Using your logic, a new born child does not have a conscious. Why don't you just kill that too?
ummmm except for the fact that they can be seen to respond to their environments. hence the crying, holding onto fingers, breastfeeding etc. just cos someone can't speak in words doesn't mean they lack consciousness. wtf would you call mutes then??

YBK

HSC
glycerine said:
ummmm except for the fact that they can be seen to respond to their environments. hence the crying, holding onto fingers, breastfeeding etc. just cos someone can't speak in words doesn't mean they lack consciousness. wtf would you call mutes then??
you'd be surprised that a child in the womb does many similar things.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
1.) how can you not think that experience (and therefore knowledge on more than one level) *doesn't* make an opinion more valid than one based on say pure science or pure morality? maybe valid isn't the word i'm looking for; i think we're sort of applying the term in different ways. what i mean by valid is that the opinion based on experience as well as science, personal morality etc is one that has had the opportunity to look at the issue in depth.
Well because it simply doesn't... You can have experience in something yet the other person still might have a better idea from what they know from reading or whatever than what you have from experience.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Well because it simply doesn't... You can have experience in something yet the other person still might have a better idea from what they know from reading or whatever than what you have from experience.
fair enough

i was saying that with the assumption of wider knowledge. ie personally i've read quite a bit on the subject so to me it's experience + scientific knowledge etc. although admittedly i've never been one for the sciences. meh

but yeah, i get what you mean in which case i do agree with you

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
YBK said:
What's the period of legal abortions?
i don't remember the exact 'cutoff' but i think it's through the first trimester (ie 12 weeks). generally you can't get one readily after that because of increased risks etc, but they'll do them if the pregnancy is seriously physically endangering the mother. however it's a different, more difficult procedure.

for the record i don't agree with abortion past the first trimester (ie roughly when pain impulses develop in the foetus) mostly because i think you should have the foresight to know if you don't want the child before then. this excludes medical issues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)