Would you trade your HECS debt for a volunteer Youth Corps? (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Does it really matter what the NUS thinks? I don't even know who they are or how they got voted in.
By charging (unaffordable) affiliation fees of upwards of $100,000 for campuses which send delegates likely to vote against the current administration, thus guaranteeing these campuses can't afford to vote and pose no threat to their $30,000 pay packets.

MJ-47

HSC
:wave:
Does anyone here remember a time when all uni fee's were free under the good old Gough Whitlam Gov't...

but now capitalism has taken firm hold and ppl are stuck with large debts...

i myself have a uni debt of $105,000.00

especially with a labor government in power. they should be doing more for students rather than out doing the late Howard gov't by going even further by phasing out the D-FEE and FEE-HELP shceme's ...forcing students to take on debt.

but over all this proposal cant hurt...:)

badquinton304

HSC
$12000 I am really frugal so I reckon I could pay that in 2 years just eat ramen, drink milo and by your videogames on ebay.
Community service.... I am no chimney sweep.

Last edited:

jennieTalia

HSC

Bulldog4lyf

HSC
I would do it in the blink of an eye. I hope Kevin beats Malcolm at the next election and keeps this program going.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
:wave:
Does anyone here remember a time when all uni fee's were free under the good old Gough Whitlam Gov't...

but now capitalism has taken firm hold and ppl are stuck with large debts...

i myself have a uni debt of $105,000.00

especially with a labor government in power. they should be doing more for students rather than out doing the late Howard gov't by going even further by phasing out the D-FEE and FEE-HELP shceme's ...forcing students to take on debt.

but over all this proposal cant hurt...:)
Under the Whitlam government you wouldn't be in your course. DFEE places were created in addition to existing HECS places (whose numbers remained consistent) to give the option for those who fell short of their course cutoff.

HECS is, if anything, too generous. You get an interest free loan for a course which enhances your earning capacity, and even then you only pay for a fraction of the total cost of your course. No reasonable person would argue that that entire cost should be shifted back onto the taxpayer because the student is more than adequately compensated.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Not really. But I think the point they make is quite valid.
No it's not. The fact that only the "rich" can access a scheme (a dubious argument in itself) is no reason to oppose it when on the whole the community takes more out of it than the volunteers anyway.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I like this idea, but I think the added incentive of doing so defeats the purpose of the scheme being a 'volunteer'-based one; after all, HECS-students are getting discounts off their debt for helping out. Like what Exphate said.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I like this idea, but I think the added incentive of doing so defeats the purpose of the scheme being a 'volunteer'-based one; after all, HECS-students are getting discounts off their debt for helping out. Like what Exphate said.
Alternatives to this:

1. Pay others more in wages than you're giving HECS kids in discounts.
2. Old people starve.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Spend hours at a time with old people and homeless people?

I do that every day already, why would I volunteer to do it. :(

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
I can't see the Rudd Government providing a large enough discount off students HECS to entice students to sacrifice their spare time in a shelter providing services to the homeless.

I'll remain skeptical of this until I see greater detail of figures.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Make volunteering a more accessible option to people on unemployment, rather than the retarded, pointless work-for-dole, mutual obligation rubbish.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I know a guy who got fired from work for the dole.

15 hours a week was too much for him. Do you think he's going to volunteer to play Bridge with old people?

MJ-47

HSC
Under the Whitlam government you wouldn't be in your course. DFEE places were created in addition to existing HECS places (whose numbers remained consistent) to give the option for those who fell short of their course cutoff.
:)
one of the most restricting factors of ppl entering uni were the financial pressures associated with paying for the degree (DFEE implies you pay for the degree up front, but with FEE-HELP you can defer that payment)..under Whitlam many more ppl were able to access uni just simply because financial pressure was removed

The current government is PHASING OUT DFEE and FEE-HELP shcemes
which means more ppl wont be able to get into uni (cause they are a couple of UAI points off)..thus leading to a greater skills shortage..:mad1:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
:)
one of the most restricting factors of ppl entering uni were the financial pressures associated with paying for the degree (DFEE implies you pay for the degree up front, but with FEE-HELP you can defer that payment)..under Whitlam many more ppl were able to access uni just simply because financial pressure was removed

The current government is PHASING OUT DFEE and FEE-HELP shcemes
which means more ppl wont be able to get into uni (cause they are a couple of UAI points off)..thus leading to a greater skills shortage..:mad1:
Under Whitlam there are X university places. Hawke comes in and turns these into HECS places.

We then have X HECS places.

Howard then brings in Y DFEE places to supplement the X HECS places.

There is no extra financial pressure and to claim so is intellectual dishonest, because there's still just as many accessible places as there were under Whitlam.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Re: Business Studies Tutor (HSC Marker)

This is for any student out there that needs the help of an experienced teacher and HSC Marker. In 2008 i marked Business Studies ( for the 9th time) and in 2006 and 2007 I marked Economics.
With m many years of experience I can help you to improve your performnce in either Economics or Business studies.
I offer one on one tuition in your home or local library. If you are interested drop me an email to discuss how I can help you.
Thanks for deducting reputation from this user.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)