WSU Bachelor of Criminology / Laws or try my luck? (1 Viewer)

pmav

HSC
Hey guys,

I'm just wondering about whether or not the take the 2766 – Bachelor of Criminology/Bachelor of Laws at WSU I was offered under the True Reward program or not, as I've heard mixed opinions about WSU. My plan currently is to take the offer, try my best in my first year and transfer to UTS Law as they use the same GPA system (unlike the WAM of USYD and UNSW), but I want to get some ideas from people who may have better expertise in universities than me. My main factor behind just taking it rather than bothering with other courses is because of the super high ATAR requirements for Law at most universities (WSU included) and know I won't be achieving a 95+ SR. The course is already at that 95 selection rank so it looks like a really good offer, but as I said I'm not sure. Any help with this?

Thanks a lot,
pmav

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
First, congratulations on your offer! :wsu: Essentially, if you are passionate about studying law and happen to receive an offer, you should take that offer, after which you will have two options:
  • Remain enrolled in the Bachelor of Criminology/Bachelor of Laws if you happen to perform well and enjoy it.
  • Transfer to the UTS Bachelor of Laws after a period of time (i.e. your current plan).
While I do not study a Bachelor of Laws, I am a WSU student in my final semester, and some of my friends and classmates are studying law (mostly as a double degree alongside the Bachelor of Business and Bachelor of Business (Advanced Business Leadership)). Overall, they are satisfied with the quality of education, but do occasionally complain about the difficulty of the degree, which I would assume is also the case at other universities. In addition to being a double degree (i.e. gaining knowledge and skills in more than one field), the good thing about the Bachelor of Criminology/Bachelor of Laws is that the study of crime and criminal justice within the Bachelor of Criminology is likely to align closely with the content taught as part of the Bachelor of Laws.

It is also important to note that the difference in the grading system (i.e. GPA at WSU and UTS vs WAM at USyd and UNSW) does not prevent you from attempting to transfer directly to USyd or UNSW (if this something is that you are considering).

I hope this helps! :D

pmav

HSC
Thanks for the reply! Good hearing from a WSU student and also from some of your friends which are in Law there. I understand it's going to be a hard course but I'm fairly passionate about it, so hopefully I get a high enough GPA to transfer, but if I feel like it's good there I'll definitely consider staying. I also know that GPA and WAM don't prevent me from transferring, but I've heard it needs extremely high GPAs (like a perfect (7/7) GPA equates to a 85 WAM or something, I could be wrong because there's no easy way to convert) to transfer into Law at USYD/UNSW, hence UTS as a primary (not to say it's bad at all). Thanks for the info!

Sincerely,
pmav

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)