• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Year 11 2013 Chit Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

enoilgam

HSC
Aye aye, I know that. And unfortunately I do not know what to do, and I am in big big trouble hehe... (I'm only laughing now :))
I didnt mean that in a negative way - without a goal of some kind it is very difficult for any person to be motivated.

deloving

HSC
I didnt mean that in a negative way - without a goal of some kind it is very difficult for any person to be motivated.
I didn't take it in a negative way. I also find it really hard to focus on things I don't enjoy - there's huge difference between attending English Advanced and attending my Maths class. Similarly to how I usually love my Modern History homework while Maths I consider such a chore (I think I've only done 1 exercise this year).

HSC
Common sense! make short, simple, clear goals.
I don't know about your schools but in yr11 at our school they put up student leader boards for each subject. I don't know about you guys but I'm super competitive when ranks, leader boards etc. become involved. I had a horrible set of first assessments this year, traveling around Australia and breaking my ribs (still like 70-75%'s) and I felt horrible too. However just before our half yearly assessments (two weeks ago) they put up leader boards. I saw where I was and where I wanted to be. Although I got there straight away in some subjects, others will take me longer. But just looking at that leader board and telling your self your going to move up 3-5 ranks (for instance) and beat those guys is enough motivation to get me studying.

Fawun

Queen
HSC
Current ranks:

Legal 22/49 (did not study at all legit finished the paper in 20 mins)

MX1 11/32 (got 0 in a section so it pulled my ranking down ha)

Maths: 16/62

English: 58/61 (lol)

Suiren

HSC
Well first of all, what is your aim for your HSC/future.
Sounds exactly like me...

My story is exactly like what Sulren posted above ^_^. I don't have any motivation to study. No aim for my HSC. I have no freakin' idea what I want to do in the future. *o*
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one going through this ; u;

But that's the thing! I do have a goal in mind! I have a lot planned - I have a lot of ambitions and things I wanna do. Basically, I want to get at the very least 90+ for my ATAR as I want to take a Science course in University.

See, I don't mean to brag, but I'm what you would call one of those naturally smart people. You know, the kid in the class that gets good grades without even trying that much. It's a good thing I guess, but it's definitely a bad thing too. I rely on my 'smarts' too much, to the point where when I am assigned an assessment, I will calculate in my brain how much time the task will take, push it to the last minute before its due, and complete it then. If I start things early, I have to force myself too. Because there will be a voice at the back of my mind saying that I can complete this in -insert time here- so why don't you just leave it till then? The strategy has been working fine, but this year............. it's been okay, but I could've done better.

+ I have a noisy and boisterous somewhat unsupportive family. I like complete silence when I study. Unfortunately, the walls in my house don't really block the sound. And I have strict parents; they don't like me going out. :-(

Last edited:

deloving

HSC
Because there will be a voice at the back of my mind saying that I can complete this in -insert time here- so why don't you just leave it till then?(
I get that often. I love that voice hehe ^_^ Wait no STOP PROCRASTINATING NOOOOOOOOOOO why am I still here

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one going through this ; u;

But that's the thing! I do have a goal in mind! I have a lot planned - I have a lot of ambitions and things I wanna do. Basically, I want to get at the very least 90+ for my ATAR as I want to take a Science course in University.

See, I don't mean to brag, but I'm what you would call one of those naturally smart people. You know, the kid in the class that gets good grades without even trying that much. It's a good thing I guess, but it's definitely a bad thing too. I rely on my 'smarts' too much, to the point where when I am assigned an assessment, I will calculate in my brain how much time the task will take, push it to the last minute before its due, and complete it then. If I start things early, I have to force myself too. Because there will be a voice at the back of my mind saying that I can complete this in -insert time here- so why don't you just leave it till then? The strategy has been working fine, but this year............. it's been okay, but I could've done better.

+ I have a noisy and boisterous somewhat unsupportive family. I like complete silence when I study. Unfortunately, the walls in my house don't really block the sound. And I have strict parents; they don't like me going out. :-(
Believe me, having the right approach to the HSC is critical.

Don't go in there burnt out till prelim, and carry on this burn out till January of 2014. Luckily I was not that burnt out, and I managed to carry on to do well in the first assignments of year 12, and in the half yearlies, everything was good. (with the exception of one subject - business).

Really, you get to a time where the HSC has dragged on for far too long, and you really can't be bothered doing anything. But you must, it's not a question that you can respond to by slacking off. This time of the year is when some people may gain some ground, and improve greatly in ranks. Make sure they don't take your rank (lol).

I have that assignment thing, too. It's fine with assignments, but not with tests. All my assignments are last minute, and I still get a band 6. Basically, how I see it is - my brain says "this assignment will be completed in one day", then from now until that "last day", I have the thought process of how I'm going to approach this assignment playing in my head (on my way to school, in bed, on the train), and then I come to the point of 'explosion'. Everything culminates on that last day, all your ideas explode onto the paper (really, ejaculate - analogously lol), and you will be surprised at what you can produce. Happens to me for every assignment!

Thank God, my family is incredibly supportive of me whatever endeavor I choose to take. I know I'll be doing comm/law at UWS/Notre Dame anyway.

HSC
... I'm what you would call one of those naturally smart people. You know, the kid in the class that gets good grades without even trying that much. It's a good thing I guess, but it's definitely a bad thing too. I rely on my 'smarts' too much, to the point where when I am assigned an assessment, I will calculate in my brain how much time the task will take, push it to the last minute before its due, and complete it then. If I start things early, I have to force myself too. Because there will be a voice at the back of my mind saying that I can complete this in -insert time here- so why don't you just leave it till then? The strategy has been working fine, but this year............. it's been okay, but I could've done better.
This sounds exactly like me. We were given notifications for our next set of assessments last week which I will sit next week. Even if its not an assignment, just studying for a test/exam I will hold off to the last minute to do any work. I know its probably not the best way to go about the prelim. course but no matter how much I try to start assignments in advance I will always finish them on the last night.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jade_

HSC
what does everyone think about the whole 10 units or 12 units in year 12 thing? cause when i started year 11, i was so sure i was going to do 12, but now that im a good way through the year, im liking the idea of having more time to focus on less subjects. I dont know. what do you guys think about it?

SuchSmallHands

HSC
what does everyone think about the whole 10 units or 12 units in year 12 thing? cause when i started year 11, i was so sure i was going to do 12, but now that im a good way through the year, im liking the idea of having more time to focus on less subjects. I dont know. what do you guys think about it?
Not everyone does it, I'm personally planning on doing 13-14 depending on how I feel about EX2 at the end of next term, but some people (in fact I dare say a large proportion of people) do ten units. Do however many you feel comfortable and confident with.

Elie2107

HSC
Would the Sicilian Mafia be a good Historical Investigation project for Year 11 Preliminay Modern History???
Need HELP ASAP
Thank youu :))

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
Haha I personally thought about doing 12, but leaning towards doing 10 now, depending on how I go on my next few assessment tasks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)