Year 11 2013 Chit Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

darkfenrir

HSC
Re: The p00n thread

Fawun, english is really easy. There's only a set number of questions they can ask, so as long as you have a pre-prepared easy for each of those possible options, you're set.
English is a fucking bitch, dont u put ideas into fawuns head now.

seanieg89

HSC

Congratulations! Dont drop to standard though - you did well in the other section, so dont get yourself down over half the test.
Out of interest, for what reason do you think she shouldn't do standard?

seanieg89

HSC

The aligning is terrible. /schooltalk
Well with a trade-off in difficulty. The system is designed so that an equal amount of effort in any two units (for which you are equally talented) should get you roughly equal results. I just say this because it often makes sense to do an easier version of a subject if you don't enjoy it (and in my opinion too many people bombard students with facts about scaling which are simply not as important as properly learning the subjects you ARE doing.)

I just post this here as you responded here, feel free to move my comment elsewhere and reply if you have something more to say :).

deloving

HSC
Only three half yearlies all on a different day.

Advanced is a 2 hour exam where the creative and essay together is worth only 5%. Oh why.

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC

Well with a trade-off in difficulty. The system is designed so that an equal amount of effort in any two units (for which you are equally talented) should get you roughly equal results. I just say this because it often makes sense to do an easier version of a subject if you don't enjoy it (and in my opinion too many people bombard students with facts about scaling which are simply not as important as properly learning the subjects you ARE doing.)

I just post this here as you responded here, feel free to move my comment elsewhere and reply if you have something more to say :).
The thing with standard is that it isnt that much easier than advanced. If you compare it side by side, the essay questions are of a similar difficulty, added to the fact that 40% of the exam is common to both subjects. The only real difference in difficulty is the texts. When you balance this in light of the massive mark disadvantage of standard, it's way more worthwhile to continue with advanced I think.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

Well, if you're capable/good at it but you don't really enjoy it... you're still gonna be likely to choose it.

Especially when it's something with attractive scaling (in the eyes of many Asians) like MX1 or MX2.

seanieg89

HSC

The thing with standard is that it isnt that much easier than advanced. If you compare it side by side, the essay questions are of a similar difficulty, added to the fact that 40% of the exam is common to both subjects. The only real difference in difficulty is the texts. When you balance this in light of the massive mark disadvantage of standard, it's way more worthwhile to continue with advanced I think.
Beg to differ. I was told I was more than capable of doing adv but I chose standard as I simply didn't enjoy english and it required far less effort to prepare for. I couldn't have gotten a much better mark with advanced, and I would have had to work a lot harder to get the same mark imo. I regret nothing.

seanieg89

HSC

Well, if you're capable/good at it but you don't really enjoy it... you're still gonna be likely to choose it.

Especially when it's something with attractive scaling (in the eyes of many Asians) like MX1 or MX2.
Well, thats precisely what I'm objecting to...I wish this wasn't the case for most people.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

Beg to differ. I was told I was more than capable of doing adv but I chose standard as I simply didn't enjoy english and it required far less effort to prepare for. I couldn't have gotten a much better mark with advanced, and I would have had to work a lot harder to get the same mark imo. I regret nothing.
Depends on the person.

If you wanted to REALLY MAXIMISE your ATAR, Advanced is usually the wiser option.

A standard student who wasn't satisfied with their ATAR would most likely have at least minor, if not major, regrets about not choosing Advanced.

enoilgam

HSC
Look, I'm usually of the view that you should do what you like and enjoy, but with standard, the very nature of the subject limits your marks to the point where it easily outweighs the difficulty advantage. But then again, if you feel it's the best idea for you, then you should go with your gut. I just think that on the balance, advanced is the best option.

seanieg89

HSC
Look, I'm usually of the view that you should do what you like and enjoy, but with standard, the very nature of the subject limits your marks to the point where it easily outweighs the difficulty advantage. But then again, if you feel it's the best idea for you, then you should go with your gut. I just think that on the balance, advanced is the best option.
The thing is I don't think this is really a valid argument unless you are aiming for things like the mid 99s for your university course (or for personal reasons). Std makes it near impossible to hit B6 but everything else is achievable, and high 80s in every subject (and higher in the subjects you actually enjoy) earns you a uai adequate for most tertiary admissions.

I can understand the advantages of advanced english for people with very lofty (and realistic) UAI goals, but this is a pretty small minority I think.

enoilgam

HSC
The thing is I don't think this is really a valid argument unless you are aiming for things like the mid 99s for your university course (or for personal reasons). Std makes it near impossible to hit B6 but everything else is achievable, and high 80s in every subject (and higher in the subjects you actually enjoy) earns you a uai adequate for most tertiary admissions.

I can understand the advantages of advanced english for people with very lofty (and realistic) UAI goals, but this is a pretty small minority I think.
That's a fair point, obviously if you arent aiming very high, then really it probably wouldnt matter too much.

But you also have to consider that many people aim for ATARs which are relatively high for them. In those cases, it might be more advantageous for them to do advanced in order to give themselves the best chance of reaching their goal. Also, with standard, very few people get even a band 5 (at last glance it was only around 8%).

Last edited:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

Well, thats precisely what I'm objecting to...I wish this wasn't the case for most people.
I'm all for choosing what you like - Exactly why I chose Business Studies over Chemistry for senior years despite the scaling factor. (In fact, I regret dropping EE1 to pick up MX2 despite the higher scaling from MX2)

The problem is that there's competitive courses which require higher ATARs so higher scaling --> more attractive.

Let's say... some kid wanted to Medicine or Law.

He had to choose between PDHPE or Chemistry. He's equally talented/great at both.

He likes PDHPE more but considering the challenge of getting a high ATAR, he'd MOST likely give somewhat of a preference to Chemistry.

However, let's say he wanted to do Engineering (lower ATAR requirement)... I think he'd be fine with choosing PDHPE.

ATAR maximisation is important for some and irrelevant for others.

All depends on the person.

albertcamus

HSC
That's a fair point, obviously if you arent aiming very high, then really it probably wouldnt matter too much.

But you also have to consider that many people aim for ATARs which are relatively high for them. In those cases, it might be more advantageous for them to do advanced in order to give themselves the best chance of reaching their goal. Also, with standard, very few people get even a band 5 (at last glance it was only around 8%).
Yeah, also - many people don't have a firm idea of what they wanna do until well into Year 12, so it's best to keep Advanced if you're adequate at it since it keeps your options open.

seanieg89

HSC
Fair enough, valid points. Just wanted to put my thoughts out there, hopefully they are of some help to someone out there.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Advanced looks harder, but seriously most of the difference is in the fact that in advanced you read books with bigger words. Worth the little bit of extra effort imo.

Verify

HSC
Advanced looks harder, but seriously most of the difference is in the fact that in advanced you read books with bigger words. Worth the little bit of extra effort imo.
Let's flip to the other side of the spectrum.

Extension English is a nightmare.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)