Year 11 2013 Chit Chat Thread (3 Viewers)

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Fair enough. I was thinking of dropping Legal. We were in an even worse situation. Our permanent teacher only arrived last Monday. You can imagine how the past 13 weeks of Legal Studies went at our school. It's been so bad but I'm still slightly motivated to do this subject.

And I dropped Physics for Economics also.
Other way around for me, my legal teacher goes on maternity leave for two terms right after the half-yearly exams are marked. Does it really suck that much to have a sub for a prolonged period of time?

Verify

HSC
Other way around for me, my legal teacher goes on maternity leave for two terms right after the half-yearly exams are marked. Does it really suck that much to have a sub for a prolonged period of time?
Depends on the sub.

deloving

HSC
Yeah it depends on the sub. We had teachers who had a diploma in legal studies education or some shit - that doesn't matter. I don't want a teacher who teaches commerce, economics, business studies, "oh and I can also teach you guys legal studies yay!" It doesn't work like that. We had a proper legal studies teacher who came in only for 2 weeks. He was good, then he had to leave to make way for our permanent teacher. She's like that, teaching english/economics/business studies/legal studies, with business studies being her forte as she claims. But she makes up for it with experience.

enoilgam

HSC
To be honest, I don't think you really need a great teacher for Legal Studies, you can pretty much teach the subject to yourself. Apart from all the essay stuff, the rest of the content is easy to self-learn.

mikool1996

HSC
heey guys...im struggling with time management of my studies and i think that one of the reasons why i havnt done so well this semester! can someone help me

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
^ self control and self discipline is what you need.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
To be honest, I don't think you really need a great teacher for Legal Studies, you can pretty much teach the subject to yourself. Apart from all the essay stuff, the rest of the content is easy to self-learn.
Yeah, that's what I'd noticed so far. My legal teacher has a bachelor of laws so even though she really knows what she's talking about most of the first term or so has been text-book/research centric work, most of which you just rote learn and apply to questions that aren't exactly earth shattering (see: 'why do we need laws?') and you do fine.

Verify

HSC
Yeah, that's what I'd noticed so far. My legal teacher has a bachelor of laws so even though she really knows what she's talking about most of the first term or so has been text-book/research centric work, most of which you just rote learn and apply to questions that aren't exactly earth shattering (see: 'why do we need laws?') and you do fine.
Woah your legal teacher has LLB? Is this common? o.o

albertcamus

HSC
Not really common but so does my teacher - it does help a bit since for common everyday things teacher can tell us to say it in a legal manner e.g. Locus Standi (I think this one is pretty common though). Also, teacher is inherently interested in the legal system and so teacher's able to keep up with lots and lots of contemporary evidence that is sometimes fed to us, which is of course very nice.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I wouldn't say there would be a lot of people who would get a law degree with the intention of becoming a high school legal studies teacher, but thanks to the ridiculously high attrition rate in law it's not uncommon for former lawyers to end up as high school teachers. She's the only teacher at my school with an LLB though.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
And if anyone is wondering about why so many people who have law degrees teach high school kids about the court hierarchy, spiritual being's signature may provide some insight.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
And if anyone is wondering about why so many people who have law degrees teach high school kids about the court hierarchy, spiritual being's signature may provide some insight.
I'm getting an 80-85 ATAR
Doing UWS comm/law
Completing boring and menial work until 2AM
Paying off my Chatswood townhouse until I'm 38 =)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I think a life of a teacher is better than the life of a lawyer.

My old high school teacher, gets home at 4pm, prepares 2 hours for tomorrows classes and chills the rest of the night. (with about an hour of marking)

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
I think a life of a teacher is better than the life of a lawyer.

My old high school teacher, gets home at 4pm, prepares 2 hours for tomorrows classes and chills the rest of the night. (with about an hour of marking)
What's life like in the shoes of a teacher?

Weekdays:

Complete boring and menial work until 8PM

Weekends:

Thinking about completing boring and menial work until 2AM

Seriously, 20 years? What a tedious way to generate capital.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)