• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Year 11 2014 Chat :) (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmendz

HSC
Does anyone know of any related texts that relate to journeys?? Haha

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Does anyone know of any related texts that relate to journeys?? Haha
What is your prescribed text? I am pretty sure that journeys was a previous area of study for HSC English many years back, you might want to browse through previous area of study sub-forum to assist you, or alternately, a lot of related texts for belonging/change/identity is also suitable for journeys-depending on how you analyse and engage with the texts.

pmendz

HSC
Our main prescribed text so far has been the poem Drifters by Bruce Dawe. And will do, thank you so much! :))

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
It's not necessarily the resources, but also the community.

A lot of members (who are still active post-graduation might I add) found the social aspect of this community to be highly beneficial too. Students often are only exposed to members of their cohort, which can be quite limited in terms of the variety of students. However on BOS, you have a HUGE range of people with differing abilities and interests. You are more likely to find somebody like yourself on here than at school.

For example, there is a user named RealiseNothing (you can still see him posting around now) who had an interest in Mathematics pre-Bored of Studies. He went to a fairly low ranked comprehensive school, so you can imagine there would be few people who are interested in Mathematics there.

Upon coming to here, he discovered many other users who also shared his interest in Mathematics (I can name at least 4-5 at the moment). Having such people within his social circles helped develop that passion and pushed him to excel in it. Furthermore, it gave him a reality check as to how good other people are in the state.

What I love about this site is that it can provide such a positive environment for nurturing your interests. However at school, you may not have such an environment. I only wish I had such an opportunity when I was in Year 12.
Thanks for the insight on as to how I should approach this website and I promise that I'll do my best in order to utilize this opportunity to it's optimum level.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Anyone else doing Shakespeare at the moment? If so what text? I'm doing Shakespeare's King Lear, it's absolutely terrible in comparison to Macbeth and Shakespeare's other tragedies. I also wanted to ask if anyone was getting a lot of Economics homework because I find myself doing more Economics rather than Maths a majority of the time (And I'm doing Extension 1 :/ ). I was also wondering how big everyone's Year 11 cohort is because I attend the biggest school in the state (i.e. Cherrybrook Technology High School) which currently has a Year 11 cohort of about 300 - 400 students. Apologies if these questions are irrelevant and random, I'm just new and curious and want to gain an understanding of some of you. Any answers would be appreciated :D

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
Anyone else doing Shakespeare at the moment? If so what text? I'm doing Shakespeare's King Lear, it's absolutely terrible in comparison to Macbeth and Shakespeare's other tragedies. I also wanted to ask if anyone was getting a lot of Economics homework because I find myself doing more Economics rather than Maths a majority of the time (And I'm doing Extension 1 :/ ). I was also wondering how big everyone's Year 11 cohort is because I attend the biggest school in the state (i.e. Cherrybrook Technology High School) which currently has a Year 11 cohort of about 300 - 400 students. Apologies if these questions are irrelevant and random, I'm just new and curious and want to gain an understanding of some of you. Any answers would be appreciated :D
I read King Lear as we're doing it later this year and I can totally relate, it is a bit of a yawn but it's ok I guess haha I don't know about Eco but I get hella lot of bio homework :ad my cohort is about 180 kids but wow yours is huge!! And no worries for the questions

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the insight on as to how I should approach this website and I promise that I'll do my best in order to utilize this opportunity to it's optimum level.
Welcome to bored of studies, remember to check out the forums for each subject as well, and if you have any questions on particular subjects or in general, remember you are always welcome to post on relevant forum to allow us to help you out:) Best wishes for you to ace your studies!

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
I'm doing Macbeth in term 3 - already read the text so it's gonna be more of a revision for me compared to my other peers who would just start learning it. I don't find myself receiving a lot of Economics homework - in fact, maths is what I get most frequently. My cohort for year 11 is about 90 people only. (Yeah, it's pretty small compared to other schools)

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Thanks for all your answers, I really appreciate it :D + Do you guys think that the HSC ranking of a school plays any significance in regards to the way in which you perform in the HSC, other than the underlying assumption of: Going to a highly ranked school = Good ATAR ?

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
Thanks for all your answers, I really appreciate it :D + Do you guys think that the HSC ranking of a school plays any significance in regards to the way in which you perform in the HSC, other than the underlying assumption of: Going to a highly ranked school = Good ATAR ?
Sorry this isn't an answer to your question, but I know a couple of people who go to cherrybrook and I wanted to know if you'd know them :)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
No, it doesn't, ranking of schools tend to fluctuate each year according to the quality of the cohort, you need to be fighting for the best internal rank and best performance in external HSC exam to get a good ATAR. I don't think the ranking of a school plays any significance at all in your performance in HSC unless you think it does.

turnerloos

TAFE Executive Officer
HSC
heey guys, im new to this forum. Please guide me through my HSC years. thanks :) ( will be posting daily ;) )

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Sorry this isn't an answer to your question, but I know a couple of people who go to cherrybrook and I wanted to know if you'd know them :)
Yeah go ahead ask for anyone :D I'm pretty sure I know everyone in my grade :D

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
hahaha well my school does king lear but yet to start. Not that much eco homework, really all rounder amount of work. Canley Vale so 230 people ish... shit school !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)