Year 11 2014 Chat :) (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
So many pro-englishers here. Mathematics has contributed to us understanding what we understand today. I still think English is important to some degree but Maths is the tool used to understand our universe and our existence. It helped create this forum, the computer/phone you are using and all the technology that we have today. It helped us understand how the planets move around the sun... The list can go on..
Please explain how English is of equal importance to Maths.
Look at my previous post

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Without English we would have no language.
Soz to interject but the current HSC English is literature studies. You don't need literatures for the foundations of a society like ours. Yes it can enrich it, but isn't a necessity. (Unlike maths)

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
Soz to interject but the current HSC English is literature studies. You don't need literatures for the foundations of a society like ours. Yes it can enrich it, but isn't a necessity. (Unlike maths)
I mean English English because I don't think we're talking about school subjects more the concepts

turntaker

HSC
Oh and by the way if we didn't have English, how do you suspect we would have those Maths terms hmm? Quadratic a, parabolas, logarithms, exponential functions how would you even do circle geometry or have word problem? Exactly, without English you wouldn't. Suck on that.
Okay. I am not saying the English langauge is useless and you should get rid of language. Plus English came from Latin which was the language used for science and mathematics. You are getting the wrong impression. Language is a very useful thing for humans. And without English we could still use another language like Russian or Italian or Latin.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I mean English English because I don't think we're talking about school subjects more the concepts
OH right yes well language itself, whether or not it is English English, is vital for the basis of the human experience because it allows us to communicate, which is critical if we want to live essentially.

But at the same time, you can't measure the importance of maths and English alongside each other because they target different things. It's like looking at apples and oranges, you can't compare them because they examine and are applied to different things.

Soulful

HSC Hipster
HSC
Okay. I am not saying the English langauge is useless and you should get rid of language. Plus English came from Latin which was the language used for science and mathematics. You are getting the wrong impression. Language is a very useful thing for humans. And without English we could still use another language like Russian or Italian or Latin.
hahahaha what

latin is a romance language
english is a germanic language

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
Most people can't speak French
Also, French has a lot of derivatives from the English language and vice versa
French is popular enough thst is has 2 alliance francaise centres aiming to spread french language and culture even further

Fiction

HSC
OH right yes well language itself, whether or not it is English English, is vital for the basis of the human experience because it allows us to communicate, which is critical if we want to live essentially.

But at the same time, you can't measure the importance of maths and English alongside each other because they target different things. It's like looking at apples and oranges, you can't compare them because they examine and are applied to different things.
lolol actually the debate I was in yesterday (we won yay!) we argued that
a) Eng should be mandatory
b) Eng should be mandatory and not some other subjects

And we basically said that eng > math (comparably) b/c of critical and logical thinking that eng provided. (Along with various other arguments lewl)

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
You guys are talking about other countries taking words from the English language when as a matter of fact it's the English language that has a majority of its words taken from other language.

Hence English being called the bastard language :D

Fiction

HSC
You guys are talking about other countries taking words from the English language when as a matter of fact it's the English language that has a majority of its words taken from other language.

LOL true
I still don't get how latin could influence chinese though ;-;

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
lolol actually the debate I was in yesterday (we won yay!) we argued that
a) Eng should be mandatory
b) Eng should be mandatory and not some other subjects

And we basically said that eng > math (comparably) b/c of critical and logical thinking that eng provided. (Along with various other arguments lewl)
I also think English in year 11/12 is important in the sense that it also develops critical thinking skills and students learn how to articulate opinions and justify them, it is a lot more than just literature study, even if often it just comes across that way. It is a lot more nebulous and independent in terms of ideas, there is a strong element of self-learning involved and your own analysis of your texts which is actually highly relevant to uni.

Fiction

HSC
Oh no, I'm agreeing with what you said - I was just giving my 2c.
Ignore that quote of mine, I don't even know what I'm saying anymore ;-;

IT'S TOO COLD D:

And you should debate hawkie c: You'll be good at it young grasshopper 8D I can feel it in my bones.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A

Like many everyday words such cafe and restaurant are derived from french

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Ignore that quote of mine, I don't even know what I'm saying anymore ;-;

IT'S TOO COLD D:

And you should debate hawkie c: You'll be good at it young grasshopper 8D I can feel it in my bones.
Haha, thanks :)

But I dunno, like I wanted to join the school debating team but there isn't one in existence anymore. :/ I could join in competitions though, that is, if I have enough time on my hands.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Random Question and totally irrelevant but...

Does anyone have the Sony Xperia Z?

If so do you think that the magnetic charger for Sony Xperia Z1 would work for Sony Xperia Z?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)