• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Year 11 2014 Chat :) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
haha i have them all on DVD so idek why I'm watching it on channel 9 with all the ads..oh well :p im such a Potterhead heehee :p xD
only thing i dont like about this movie is....Robert Pattinson........ Bleeeeh
He ends up dying

So I guess the movie is alright :D

liamlolz

HSC
Woooo almost finished my issue investigation for Biology! Better study for exams as well this week - only one week to go before them :O

Fiction

HSC
ok guys i have an exercise for you pertaining to english essay writing and structure

give me a list of 5 things you should have in a body paragraph

go
ABit late but isn't it:

1) Assertion
2) technique
3) quote
4) Effect
5) link

Atqel xD I think there's also TEAL and the one my school's been referencing for most of junior years was just TQE (technique quote effect)

Fiction

HSC
Woooo almost finished my issue investigation for Biology! Better study for exams as well this week - only one week to go before them :O
Gratz! Wow you're managing your time well c: Good on you~ Hope you do well in your bio exam :DD

Fiction

HSC
correct

this might seem obvious however a fair few students fall into the trap of providing a quote that simply relates *what* happens in a scene rather than a quote that demonstrates some sort of meaning

the questions i asked in this thread seem to be quite simple, i just wanted to draw attention to some essential things which people sometimes miss, particularly in terms of structure and how to really get your ideas across
I think by senior years, students should have had teachers raving on enough about the structure of an essay to know it by then... I mean think of the sheer amount of essays you had to do in class with a teacher from 7-11. It's like 4 per year * 4 years. = ~16 official assessments (ik there are other english forms) and more if you do practise essays and/or paragraphs (which you should have inevitably)

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
Have a great day everyone!! I'm off to lock myself up with my Maths textbook ;)

Fiction

HSC
the best thing with essay writing is to obtain the essays of people who got a really high mark, then read over it and compare it to your own one
lol works best if you can get that "perfect" essay off soemone who did the same assessment task as you. So then you can compare without needing to worry about form, module etc blah.

That being said, some people are more than happy to let you steal a glance, others not so much. :p Time to go befriend that dedicated kid who always gets full marks in eng ;)

Fiction

HSC
Have a great day everyone!! I'm off to lock myself up with my Maths textbook ;)
SO jelly D: I would be half as smart as you if I had that dedication .... Still in bed procrastinating lewl

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
ABit late but isn't it:

1) Assertion
2) technique
3) quote
4) Effect
5) link

Atqel xD I think there's also TEAL and the one my school's been referencing for most of junior years was just TQE (technique quote effect)
Why would you put technique before quote? Also what does "effect" entail? Just explaining the effect of the quote?
I think by senior years, students should have had teachers raving on enough about the structure of an essay to know it by then... I mean think of the sheer amount of essays you had to do in class with a teacher from 7-11. It's like 4 per year * 4 years. = ~16 official assessments (ik there are other english forms) and more if you do practise essays and/or paragraphs (which you should have inevitably)
There is a difference between should and what actually happens, if everyone had a mastery of essay structure by year 12 everyone would be close to getting a band 6

Last edited:

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Keep in mind that students may not have the foundation from junior years due to not having been taught properly since the teachers are shit.

Fiction

HSC
Why would you put technique before quote? Also what does "effect" entail? Just explaining the effect of the quote?

There is a difference between should and what actually happens, if everyone had a mastery of essay structure by year 12 everyone would be close to getting a band 6
Why wouldn't you? :) And yes, effect is just the effect of the quote. The meaning. What else would it entail?

Metaphorically -quote- demonstrates.. etc

Can save word space. Idk, that's just how I was taught. Would be interested to know why technique shouldn't go first~

Each to their own. Whatever works~

Well that's a flaw of the educational system c: All year 11s should know by now how to write an essay. We had 5 years to practise. Also just because a student knows the structure of an essay, doesn't neccessarily mean they get a band 6. E.g someone could have perfect essay structure yet spend too much time on storytelling etc. I was under the impression that an essay is a balance between many factors, structure is but one dot point in the marking criteria.

Fiction

HSC
Keep in mind that students may not have the foundation from junior years due to not having been taught properly since the teachers are shit.
o3o If you haven't been taught properly, or you know shit then your marks should reflect this... A student had 5 years to come up with the incentive to search for other alternatives to conventional teachers... idk c:

turntaker

HSC
Guys I can't go to the chemistry seminar apparently she is not accepting no more year 11.. o.o..

buriza

conviction
HSC
o3o If you haven't been taught properly, or you know shit then your marks should reflect this... A student had 5 years to come up with the incentive to search for other alternatives to conventional teachers... idk c:
To be frank, to assume that all high school students will have initiative is a poor assumption. At the end of the day, they are still teenagers who are maturing and even in university, students lack initiative. With that said, if a student hasn't been taught properly in their teenage years how to write an essay, I can completely understand how it could be difficult for them to learn. It is the responsibility of a teacher to inform students of these essential skills anyway.

Not to mention I don't know what "other alternatives" there could be. Sure, there is tutoring, but not every student can afford tutoring or is benefited by it. Furthermore, looking on the internet or searching through books is not the same as being able to have a teacher go through it with you. I have been privileged enough to go to a selective school where my skills have been enriched, however it would be silly of me to think everyone else has the same opportunities as I did.

Moreover, there is a lot more to essays than knowing your content. You have to be able to articulate your ideas in essays and for many students expression does happen to be a problem. There is also the issue of originality and being able to appropriately select textual evidence to support your ideas. :)

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
The problem with the bolded is that not everyone is inclined to do this; sure you may have students wanting to get a tutor or whatever, but many would rather bitch about how shit the teachers are when they should be taking responsibility for their learning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)