• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Year 11 2014 Chat :) (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Just count up the individual atoms on each side.

Tbh, the worst thing about balancing equations was that there was no method for finding them if you are stuck other than trial and error.

So just use trial and error and you should get them after a few tries eventually.

Usually what I try to do is find a ratio of atoms on each side, and adjust everything by multiplying by the amount required to get it so that it might work, then test it afterwards to see if it works.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Just count up the individual atoms on each side.

Tbh, the worst thing about balancing equations was that there was no method for finding them if you are stuck other than trial and error.

So just use trial and error and you should get them after a few tries eventually.

Usually what I try to do is find a ratio of atoms on each side, and adjust everything by multiplying by the amount required to get it so that it might work, then test it afterwards to see if it works.
It's not just balancing, but also knowing how to write equations up from scratch, i.e. knowing your valencies otherwise you're screwed.

Which is why I suck at chem lol.

rawrliongirl

HSC
I only have 12 units...BUT ME HATE MATHS TOO :'( my dad won't even let me drop to general....but i think i probably should...im dying in 2u maths. I came last in 3u maths fot half yearly so i dropped it.. May as well drop to gen maths....or drop it all together ^.^ :3

Enviado de meu ST25a usando o Tapatalk 2

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
I only have 12 units...BUT ME HATE MATHS TOO :'( my dad won't even let me drop to general....but i think i probably should...im dying in 2u maths. I came last in 3u maths fot half yearly so i dropped it.. May as well drop to gen maths....or drop it all together ^.^ :3

Enviado de meu ST25a usando o Tapatalk 2
Why do you hate maths?

rawrliongirl

HSC
Lol i just walked home from my bus stop which is about 1km away from home..and my neighbours were also walking home, except i dont think they realise im their neighbour cos i look way different from when they last saw me (which was a very very very long time ago since we all keep to ourselves and stuff).. And i think that they must've thought i was stalking them or something :')

rawrliongirl

HSC
I could never do it. As in never understand it. Even with tutoring its still confusing..and heaps time consuming, i could be doing better things with that time i waste on maths.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
It's not just balancing, but also knowing how to write equations up from scratch, i.e. knowing your valencies otherwise you're screwed.

Which is why I suck at chem lol.
Yah that is the part where you need to rote learn.

Knowing those helps a lot ..: I did pre bad in Chem... Ended up with a 66

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A

I've been trying to derive from the periodic table and it only works half the time so yeah, rote learning may be the way to go for valencies.

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
I think imma drop society's and culture

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
I've been trying to derive from the periodic table and it only works half the time so yeah, rote learning may be the way to go for valencies.
dude all you need to do balance equations is to know how to multiply, add, subtract and divide and memorise a few valancies or polyatomics.

dangerouss

cindy is such a bitch
HSC
I could never do it. As in never understand it. Even with tutoring its still confusing..and heaps time consuming, i could be doing better things with that time i waste on maths.
Hun, you should do what you think is right. If your parents don't allow it you have to convince them - it's your education, your life and your future. Choose what you enjoy and do what upholds your sense of self and morals and that goes with everything. I hope you'll be able to overcome it :) good luck!!

You've certainly come a long way since haha :)

rawrliongirl

HSC
There's no way my dad would sign my form to drop to general maths :'( maybe if i show him that I AM FAILING and fail my yearly he will let me...it worked to drop extension maths.. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)