Year 11 2014 Chat :) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

J280

HSC
How often do you guys write notes? I write them every weekend or even start on Friday afternoon

Sent from my RM-825_apac_australia_new_zealand_278 using Tapatalk
That's good as long as you make sure you're on top of everything come assessment time :)

happyhunter

HSC
How real are burn outs?
I think burn outs occur when a person is not prepared for the amount of work that is required from them...
You have to gradually increase work load and get used to it. Either that or they legit worked too hard.

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
I honestly don't think burn outs are real. It's more of a psychological thing in my opinion.

HSC '15- ATAR Goal: 90+
I will experience this psychological problem eventually
I forsee it in my future

21anita10

HSC
I thought the subjects I had chosen were perfect for me. I know what I want university course I want to do when I leave school, but now I am doubting my subjects.

I want to pursue Interior Architecture, and need to get over 83.05 at LEAST as an ATAR.

The subjects I do are (13 units):
- Visual Arts
- Design and Technology
- Mathematics (2 unit)
- Extension English
- Studies of Religion
- Business Studies

I just don't know what to drop at the end of this Prelim year! I don't enjoy maths, and I am hoping to drop that, but I don't know. I also wanted to get some advice on changing from Business Studies to Economics, lots of my friends that do Eco, tell me that its really good and better than BS... (not peer pressure- but I still want to do what might be best for me. No decisions made yet.)

Can someone also PLEASE explain the whole "Scaling" thing to me- will my subjects "scale" well or whatever?
I am really confident with what I've taken, but I think I just need reassurance

Thanks

Soulful

HSC Hipster
HSC
I thought the subjects I had chosen were perfect for me. I know what I want university course I want to do when I leave school, but now I am doubting my subjects.

I want to pursue Interior Architecture, and need to get over 83.05 at LEAST as an ATAR.

- Visual Arts
- Design and Technology
- Mathematics (2 unit)
- Extension English
- Studies of Religion
- Business Studies

I just don't know what to drop at the end of this Prelim year! I don't enjoy maths, and I am hoping to drop that, but I don't know. I also wanted to get some advice on changing from Business Studies to Economics, lots of my friends that do Eco, tell me that its really good and better than BS... (not peer pressure- but I still want to do what might be best for me. No decisions made yet.)

Can someone also PLEASE explain the whole "Scaling" thing to me- will my subjects "scale" well or whatever?

Thanks
Hi! Welcome to BoS!

On scaling, it really shouldn't matter for you as you're very confident in what you've taken. But, as you probably already know that some subjects scale better than others and that it does affect your final mark, scaling is just how a mark is adjusted to make a fair comparison among subjects (the analogy I was told was, think of two subjects as two different currencies. A 95 in advanced maths will be different to a 95 in General maths, just as $100 AUD is very different to 100 Nigerian naira).

While it is tempting to say that "harder" subjects ) scale better than easier subjects, that is not the case, scaling is based on how well the candidature does. Subjects such as 2U maths and extension english scale quite well, while VA and DT not as well, but honestly, it really shouldn't affect you as you're obviously very passionate about your subjects (scaling won't affect you as much if you do well).

From a scaling perspective, Eco scales better than Business, but I have no other knowledge of these two subjects, so maybe someone else can give you some idea of what the content involves.

Hope this has helped!

j-dogs

HSC
Just wondering if anyone had any tips on studying for Extension Maths

J280

HSC
Just wondering if anyone had any tips on studying for Extension Maths
My tips:
Ask questions if you don't understand - even if all your classmates understand and you don't.
Do as many practice past papers as you can.
Try to do more than what your teacher has set.
Never leave it to the last minute (Maths is possibly the worst thing to leave to the last minute)

J280

HSC

- Visual Arts
- Design and Technology
- Mathematics (2 unit)
- Extension English
- Studies of Religion
- Business Studies

Thanks
Don't worry about scaling. Half of my subjects are possibly known to be 'bad scaling' subjects but I love them, and that's all that matters. (I'm doing DT too - high5 hahaha)

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
My tips:
Ask questions if you don't understand - even if all your classmates understand and you don't.
Do as many practice past papers as you can.
Try to do more than what your teacher has set.
Never leave it to the last minute (Maths is possibly the worst thing to leave to the last minute)
^ This. Do more than the bare minimum to differentiate yourself from your peers. And remember that Maths is a subject that's very hard to cram.

J280

HSC
post questions on BoS if u need any help ;)
Agreed, maybe we all could try to help each other with some questions. I see this as a two way benefit because both yourself and BoSers' get to learn in the process- some may get the knowledge/understanding and some may get the consolidation of knowledge :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)