Year 11 2014 Chat :) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

matchalolz

HSC
I have a Business Studies and Economics Assessment Task early March (i.e. The 3rd and 10th) -_-
hi five for doing both business studies and eco! i don't have an assessment for business studies until half yearlies, and my eco assignment is due closer to the end of this term

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Let me guess, for the Economics task, are you comparing the economy of Australia and China?
Haha close :D But we're actually comparing the economy of Australia with Indonesia :p Consider yourself lucky because it's going to be much easier to obtain statistics for China than it is for Indonesia -_-

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Got one of the top scores in my Maths test I did last week :) Now to study for my Bio test which is Friday :/ (I love Biology but I have the WORSE memory ever so I find it difficult sometimes)
Wow Nice Job! Do you get a rank for this test or was it something small? Regardless I'm sure you did well and congratulations, I just wish I was getting exam notifications for maths rather than my commerce subjects :/ Haven't had a mathematics test in ages, I need to redeem myself after slacking off last year :D

liamlolz

HSC
Wow Nice Job! Do you get a rank for this test or was it something small? Regardless I'm sure you did well and congratulations, I just wish I was getting exam notifications for maths rather than my commerce subjects :/ Haven't had a mathematics test in ages, I need to redeem myself after slacking off last year :D
All I know is top five, and I'm guessing top 3. We have 4 tests in the semester plus an exam covering all topics.
Do you not receive any kind of timeline for the semester (like topics to be covered each week and when assignments/tests/exams are)?
I'm sure you can redeem yourself! I was really bad in year 9 Maths (In fact, I even failed a semester), and for B's and C's for other subjects but now I'm an A student. If I can do it, anyone can do it - jut work hard :)

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Crap, I have a Maths test coming in week 6 that accounts for 25% of my Preliminary Mark. I'm actually scared shitless.

liamlolz

HSC
Thought I'd share what I've noticed so far about being a year 11:
  • The workload has increased dramatically
  • It is very tiring - sleep is so valuable
  • Treated by teachers are more of an adult rather than a student
  • Teachers don't check homework as much
  • Homework is completed for yourself rather then because your teacher nags you
  • Expected to take more responsibility for myself
  • Can't just do bare minimum and slack off unlike other years
  • Lessons are much more face-paced
  • Steady pace is needed (like running a marathon)

For me year 10 to year 11 has been a massive jump.
What else have y'all noticed?

Welcome to all of the new BOS members if I haven't already said Hi :)

williamdaft

HSC
Thought I'd share what I've noticed so far about being a year 11:
  • The workload has increased dramatically
  • It is very tiring - sleep is so valuable
  • Treated by teachers are more of an adult rather than a student
  • Teachers don't check homework as much
  • Homework is completed for yourself rather then because your teacher nags you
  • Expected to take more responsibility for myself
  • Can't just do bare minimum and slack off unlike other years
  • Lessons are much more face-paced
  • Steady pace is needed (like running a marathon)

For me year 10 to year 11 has been a massive jump.
What else have y'all noticed?
Even more so in Year 12! You're becoming mature now :) You'll do whatever you like when you get to uni..

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Even more so in Year 12! You're becoming mature now :) You'll do whatever you like when you get to uni..
Agreed. University is a bigger transition, no one pushes you, you push yourself.

(You don't even have compulsory lectures)

Daniellemc

HSC
I don't know what I want to do when I leave school and it's actually stressing me and scaring me, I feel like I should know so that I know what subjects I need to be best at

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
All I know is top five, and I'm guessing top 3. We have 4 tests in the semester plus an exam covering all topics.
Do you not receive any kind of timeline for the semester (like topics to be covered each week and when assignments/tests/exams are)?
I'm sure you can redeem yourself! I was really bad in year 9 Maths (In fact, I even failed a semester), and for B's and C's for other subjects but now I'm an A student. If I can do it, anyone can do it - jut work hard :)
A majority of my exams are based in week 6 - 8 + I used to be in the top maths class in year 10 out of 13 - 14 classes but decided to slack off and take it easy before prelim begins and HSC. As you can guess it had some detrimental repercussions, one of which being that I have been dropped down to the 3rd top class in Extension 1 Maths :/ I just hope it doesn't interfere with my goals to pick up Extension 2 Maths :3

williamdaft

HSC
Agreed. University is a bigger transition, no one pushes you, you push yourself.

(You don't even have compulsory lectures)
Exactly!

It doesn't even feel like going to uni anymore for the lazy people who stop attending classes... nek minut, fails exam.
It's just self control..

liamlolz

HSC
I don't know what I want to do when I leave school and it's actually stressing me and scaring me, I feel like I should know so that I know what subjects I need to be best at
Don't stress about it. There's no big rush.
Do you have any kind of idea on what type of job you want to do? Office job? Outdoor job? "Hands-on" job?
What subjects are you best at?
If you are really stressed about it, see you school's career counselor (if it has one).

creamcheese

HSC
To all year 11, just relax, the HSC is not the biggest thing in your life, all you need to do is to follow your dreams and achieve them by hard work. If you want to be a programmer you can better learn that online, TAFE is also a good option providing more practical experience. It really depends on your goals good luck to all, hope you achieve your dreams

Daniellemc

HSC
Don't stress about it. There's no big rush.
Do you have any kind of idea on what type of job you want to do? Office job? Outdoor job? "Hands-on" job?
What subjects are you best at?
If you are really stressed about it, see you school's career counselor (if it has one).
My school doesn't exactly have one and I think I kinda want a hands on one but one that's not physically demanding if you get what I mean and I like legal studies and I'm able to do maths quite well so that's not a problem that's about it. i have contemplated starting my own little cafe business would that be too much of a long shot or could I make it happen???

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
My school doesn't exactly have one and I think I kinda want a hands on one but one that's not physically demanding if you get what I mean and I like legal studies and I'm able to do maths quite well so that's not a problem that's about it. i have contemplated starting my own little cafe business would that be too much of a long shot or could I make it happen???
Danielle anything's possible :D Before Einstein dropped out of school and was home-schooled he was told by his teachers that he absolutely hopeless (intellectually wise) (<--- Pun intended) and that he would end up no where in life. I'm guessing you know the rest of the story with all the countless nobel prizes, discoveries that have influenced science in ways unimaginable, etc, etc.. What I'm trying to say is that no dream is too big or too small, anything is possible just as long as you work hard in order to achieve it :D Apologies if my words of wisdom are meaningless, I just feel as if you need a confidence boost :D On top of that Danielle you can search up something like "find my career" which gives you a questionnaire in regards to your interests, hobbies, etc. and provides you with a series of jobs that you are compatible with. Moreover, you could seek advice from family and friends and gain an insight into what they believe you should do :D

Last edited:

liamlolz

HSC
Just like Crisium said, it is no where near impossible. That's not to say you wouldn't need to work hard for it, but if you want to, you most certainly can! You may enjoy studying business? or perhaps going to a TAFE or other educational institution after high school and studying hospitality or something? You could also do some work experience at a cafe and see how you like it (talk to one of your teachers about setting this up if you want to). Maybe none of these sound appealing to you, and that is totally fine. Just keep your eyes open, don't stress and you'll soon enough find something that you want to do.
Y

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Just like Crisium said, it is no where near impossible. That's not to say you wouldn't need to work hard for it, but if you want to, you most certainly can! You may enjoy studying business? or perhaps going to a TAFE or other educational institution after high school and studying hospitality or something? You could also do some work experience at a cafe and see how you like it (talk to one of your teachers about setting this up if you want to). Maybe none of these sound appealing to you, and that is totally fine. Just keep your eyes open, don't stress and you'll soon enough find something that you want to do.
Y
Yeah try doing some work experience I'm sure your Careers Studies Teachers (If you have any) or maybe even other teachers would want you to try it and see for yourself. Also try to do your work experience during the holidays as it may interfere with your preliminary studies :D Students at my school do Barista training in the mornings and serve the teachers in the lounge area of the staff room with tea, coffee, etc. They say it's actually quite enjoyable as they learn how to make all of these different types of hot beverages and learn how to operate a bunch of machines as well.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I actually felt exactly the same way as you, but when I came across many people who told me to just enjoy my subjects and think about it later-as I will know eventually, I felt it worked for me, right now, don't feel frustrated that you don't know what you want to do, not even everyone who goes to university knows exactly what they want to do-that's why there are options for you to transfer between courses and stuff, so just enjoy these two years and you will know what you want to do when the time comes:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)