Year 11 and 12 students, HOW DO YOU DO IT? (1 Viewer)

rinc

HSC
I'm in year 11 this year and boy am i struggling! It was all sweet at the beginning of the year but as the year has dragged on and workload increased, im finding it increasingly difficult to do well.

I got really stressed for a while there and then i began not to care. I still got my assignments in and everything but the work is not at my usual standard anymore.

There was also a period where i got pretty depressed and would randomly burst out into tears over nothing several times every night. I'm feeling alot better now but am still having trouble staying committed to studying and doing my work.

English is the WORST. I was coming first in the first semester in both adv and ext and now when i sit down to write an essay, absolutely NOTHING comes into my head for hours and hours.

How do you all cope with the stress and stay motivated? I NEED TO KNOW :bomb:

q3thefish

HSC
I'm in year 11 this year and boy am i struggling! It was all sweet at the beginning of the year but as the year has dragged on and workload increased, im finding it increasingly difficult to do well.

I got really stressed for a while there and then i began not to care. I still got my assignments in and everything but the work is not at my usual standard anymore.

There was also a period where i got pretty depressed and would randomly burst out into tears over nothing several times every night. I'm feeling alot better now but am still having trouble staying committed to studying and doing my work.

English is the WORST. I was coming first in the first semester in both adv and ext and now when i sit down to write an essay, absolutely NOTHING comes into my head for hours and hours.

Chillax bruh. Heaps of people are in a lot tighter spaces than you are lol.

High_Pride

HSC
Take a more relaxed attitude to your studies. You're still in Yr 11, so nothing major to worry about. Just focus on getting your mindset right for Year 12.

Jack Burton

ninja of the world
HSC
rofl year eleven what are they like two paged essays, i say eat a bowl of cement and harden the f@#! up

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC

Why does nothing come into your head for English? Did you memorise your generic effectively? Are you studying smart? Relaxing and not burning out? And is the stress levels really that high in Year 11 for you?It was a tad stessful for me, but judging from your post, it seems a lot. BUT REMEMBER, it doesn't count like the SC, so don't worry about it. Just get everything set for the HSC e.g. catch up with maths, since 30% of preliminary content is tested in the HSC. Also, you should probably go see a psychologist or your counsellor before the HSC. A friend of mine is currently undergoing counselling, and she told me that they do miracles!

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC

I get where you're coming from, really. A lot of people tell you year 11 isn't worth stressing over but I did the same thing in year 10 (the whole time knowing that the school certificate wasn't worth much if you're going to go on to complete the HSC anyway). I'm like that this year as well (except the HSC is actually important). It's an overwhelming feeling of being stressed and it's not good.

How often do you get out of the house? Because every so often just go out with some friends and grab lunch or dinner and see a movie or something. Try going to the gym or just for a walk a couple of times a week. It's important to just get away from home, school, work and study every once in a while.

Also, especially with English, talk to your teachers. If you're having trouble coping just let them know. If you talk to your English teacher about how you sit in front of a blank sheet of paper unable to write anything for hours on end then they will gladly help you find out where the problem is. It's important to communicate with your teachers.

All in all, I suggest that you go out with some friends and see a movie this weekend and just de-stress for a few hours. You sound like you need it. And then see your teachers either this week or on Monday and just talk to them about how you're having trouble coping with the workload.

thetai903

HSC
Chillax bruh. Heaps of people are in a lot tighter spaces than you are lol.
+1

I would not feel alone if I was you. From year 10 to year 11 is a big change ( except for nerds ) in term of school works. What I hope is that you would consider this experience as a lesson for your HSC, as it is now only Preliminary HSC and will definitely get harder.
How do we cope? Well, just work diligently and consistently ( also smartly) and you would find that you will cope fine.
And remember, most people I talked to have considered the HSC as the hardest thing they have ever done in their academic lifetime.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Work smarter not harder. That is, still keep your balance of relaxing etc etc but when you sit down and work for a bit, actually do productive work :)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
+1

I would not feel alone if I was you. From year 10 to year 11 is a big change ( except for nerds ) in term of school works. What I hope is that you would consider this experience as a lesson for your HSC, as it is now only Preliminary HSC and will definitely get harder.
How do we cope? Well, just work diligently and consistently ( also smartly) and you would find that you will cope fine.
And remember, most people I talked to have considered the HSC as the hardest thing they have ever done in their academic lifetime.
What...

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Let me guess, most of those people haven't gone to Uni, haven't done their Masters, haven't done their Doctorates.

samthebear

HSC
... lol i'd try to help but i was in that same situation as you are when i was in year 11. see the school councellor if you havent already - it really helps, talking to someone who can give you some solutions to solve your short term stresses in order to deal with the long term issue.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
I was cruising through Year 11 (with ranks in the top 5 for all subjects), however, I'm starting to fall behind. I think I might hit the top 20 by the time I do Year 12. This really sucks. Must be poor time management :(

AccelerateGirl

HSC
honestly, i am in the same boat right about now. I find it hard to get motivated alot, and english is just so bad compared to year ten english.

No, yr 11 essays are not 2 pages they are like 5-6 in adv.

No, your so called nerds don't find it easy to make the transition, so shush

The one thing that helps me is listening to classic disney songs. they are just so childish and carefree, and it takes your mind off of things. Or you can go on to a fanfiction site and see some of those crappy writers to make you feel better about your writing.

daryl-d

HSC
well in i had the same trouble in year eleven, so i decided to lessen my work load by finishing both the mathematics and extension 1 courses as well as the first topics of physcis and chemistry (through self teaching and using notes on the resources page) before i returned to school for the new year (ie this year), this freed up heaps of time for me and took a crap load of stress of me.
Plus it enabled me to get really good ranks and marks eg. got 119/120 at 2U maths

Schoey93

HSC
@ OP: If English is that bad for you, please don't do English (Extension 2) for your HSC. You'll regret it, I swear. Also, consider dropping English (Extension 1). :)

iilinga

HSC
ehh just relax...seriously...i took year 11 so easily...just stay calm and remember in the long run it really doesn't matter, jeeze i met a doctor and he told me he'd been a banker of all things for 17 years before he thought he wanted to be a doctor. those kinda thoughts help me put these two years in perspective =D

thetai903

HSC
Let me guess, most of those people haven't gone to Uni, haven't done their Masters, haven't done their Doctorates.
Keep guessing and you would be wrong. These people are actually my teachers at school and some tutors from Matrix ( the coaching college i go to ).
By saying it hard, I do not refer to the level of knowledge or intelligence but rather the stress and expectations associted with the HSC.

funk1234

HSC
ehh just relax...seriously...i took year 11 so easily...just stay calm and remember in the long run it really doesn't matter, jeeze i met a doctor and he told me he'd been a banker of all things for 17 years before he thought he wanted to be a doctor. those kinda thoughts help me put these two years in perspective =D
hope he wasn't your doc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)