Year 11 organisation? (1 Viewer)

keogh

HSC
Ok so I'm starting year 11 this year and as it is the holidays I want to get organised before school goes back but I have no idea how. I've read through some of the other organisation threads but none really address methods of schoolwork.

I have no clue on how to organise my schoolwork for this year and want to know the most efficient low up keep way (eg. loose leaf in a folder, exercise books, DER laptop etc) so please let me know how you did it and if it worked for you

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
1. MAKING NOTES

There are several ways you can make notes
(a) writing by hand - this is your safest bet and a must for maths and practice essays and exams
(b) typing - this is useful if syllabus dotpoints e.g. chemistry, economics. Would recommend OneNote for class notes, and Word for anything that requires large amounts of text or tables or nicer formatting such as for summaries
(c) recording audio - depends on whether your teacher talks a lot; can be useful especially to get missed bits. Should be complimented with a written method.
(d) mind mapping - creating small memory flash cards or mind maps to summarise key ideas, topics or to brainstorm is a useful tool for history subjects and languages
(e) use someone else's - not recommended to use just one source, use at least three to be safe
(f) photographing someone else's book - the only time I did this was because I was away for so many lessons, it has mixed results for effectiveness, although it is more effective than audio recordings usually

most effective way depends on

(a) teacher - some teachers give many sheets, if they are useful ones, I suggest a binder folder. I wouldn't personally recommend loose leaf as you are likely to lose pages. OneNote is a good one to use for class notes, though it has its disadvantages and limitations (which can be overcome in Word)
(b) subject - if your subject requires lots of writing, type it. If it requires drawing diagrams and (you can't find a decent quality one) write it by hand. for for maths don't bother typing your notes it takes too much time. for some subjects it is best to write class notes by hand (or typed - chemistry is best typed) and then type up summaries and then print double-sides 2 to a page.

fonts:
pick one that is readable except Calibri. Font size 10 Segoe UI is my preference. Other fonts that work well include Century Gothic, Verdana and Arial.

colours:
use colours in your notes to highlight key concepts, words. Use boxes, bold text.

2. STUDY TIMETABLE
Divide your day into slots, 90/120 minutes is your best bet since past papers can then take 2 sessions.
The most important thing is to stick to your timetable. Number each session and allocate depending on homework/assessment demands the time required. impose necessary restrictions (no music/technology in certain sessions)

You can study on the train if you travel for long distances. Only use music in minimal sessions (such as first thing in the morning to get you motivated etc.), or when there are lot of background noise which you can't avoid.

Pick a place where you can close off everything else. Make sure to take regular 15-20 min breaks every 90 minutes i.e. between sessions (except if during practice exam) , I'd recommend a larger break of 75 minutes in the middle of the day around lunch and 45 min for dinner and breakfast must not be skipped.

If I had stuck entirely to my timetable during holidays, I would have got 7+ hours of study. Ignore the nonsense of only doing a certain amount. Do as much as you are willing/able to without exhausting/pushing yourself too hard.

Last edited:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I used loose leaf sheets of paper, hole punched into a binder.

the_matrix

HSC
Hi! i'm in yr 11 this year also, and i just wanted to ask; for binder folders, should i hole-punch my sheets or put them in plastic sleeves? bc my school is quite shifty with the printing and sometimes literally fill up the whole sheet with text (i.e. no extra space on the sides)

liamlolz

HSC
Hi! i'm in yr 11 this year also, and i just wanted to ask; for binder folders, should i hole-punch my sheets or put them in plastic sleeves? bc my school is quite shifty with the printing and sometimes literally fill up the whole sheet with text (i.e. no extra space on the sides)
I STRONGLY recommend plastic sleeves. They protect your papers, and make them easier to turn. Make sure to use good quality sleeves though (I recommend marbig medium weight) and buy them by the boxes to be more cost efficient. Trust me, come exam time, you'll be thankful to have paper to study off that isn't crumbled, ripped, or dirty.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
I have a binder to separate my accelerated course.
I have plastic folders with tabs which I separate topics within Business Studies.
And an expandable folder to keep finished past papers and the past papers I printed from the Board of Studies, so I can access them for practice.

I have plastic folders for each subject to keep loose papers or in-class notes, which add onto work I have written into A4 books.
Then I have a plastic folder booklet with 6 folders to keep homework tasks, assignment papers and completed homework which needs to be submitted.

This is a test trial I'm doing in my Preliminaries, so I don't fuck up organising in Year 12. And I can find room to improve.

Jeff_

HSC
Just a question about binders...

I'm used to using exercise books but I'm switching to using the binder/loose leaf system but not sure how to set them up.

1. I've got the A4 2 Ring binder that I'm supposedly using for all subjects, do I bring only the subjects studied for the day?
2. If I use loose-leaf, do I need binder exercise books?
3. Studying 3U maths, can I just use the normal loose-leafs or do I need a maths (graph) exercise book / loose-leafs graph paper?

Much appreciated for any help :)

TheAL7

HSC
hey jeff
1. im not sure what your timetable is like so i cant really tell :(
2. i like to have both personally
3. i find a maths exercise book with graph paper really easy to carry around as i am not organised enough to do everything on loose leaf

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Jeff,
1. Use more than one, e.g. I would use one for English, one for Maths, one for my other subjects (which would have to be thick). I tended to use folders instead, but binders work.
2. Why not use both?
3. I used a standard exercise book for maths, A4 size.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)