Year 12 Student - Questions Regarding BComm/BEcos with an Accounting Major (1 Viewer)

atm1991

HSC
Hey, I'm doing my HSC this year and hope to major in accounting in a BBus/BComm/BEcos next year. Just wondering if you had any advice on the following things:

1. What do you think of UNSW? Is it true the BComm is better overall than Sydney's? Did you consider any other business related courses at other unis?

2. If I don't get into UNSW BComm, could I do BEcos and later transfer to BComm, still majoring in accounting? How hard is internal tranferring to do?

3. Do you have a cadetship? If so, who with and how great is the workload, in terms of hours either working/studying per day?

4. Is there any particular reason you didn't pick to do the combined BComm/BEcos?

Any other advice also appreciated!

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
1. the ranking you would have to find that out. im so sure, but last i heard, that was last year, the school was apparently the best in australia at the least.

2. you cannot do internal transfers from eco to comm. and i think they are changing the core for eco and comm so you will have to stay back an extra year or overload, to graduate at the same time as all the other comm students from your grade (i.e. changing the core so they are different as opposed to the current core which are the same for both degrees).

3. you would have to apply for to the companies i think. however, unsw does offer co-op which you should get more info from the uni. i dont know too much about how they work =S

note: i only answered the ones which i could reply to =)

jessi90

HSC
1. the ranking you would have to find that out. im so sure, but last i heard, that was last year, the school was apparently the best in australia at the least.

2. you cannot do internal transfers from eco to comm. and i think they are changing the core for eco and comm so you will have to stay back an extra year or overload, to graduate at the same time as all the other comm students from your grade (i.e. changing the core so they are different as opposed to the current core which are the same for both degrees).

3. you would have to apply for to the companies i think. however, unsw does offer co-op which you should get more info from the uni. i dont know too much about how they work =S

note: i only answered the ones which i could reply to =)
u cant transfer from eco to comm? as far as i know u can transfer from any program

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
Hey, I'm doing my HSC this year and hope to major in accounting in a BBus/BComm/BEcos next year. Just wondering if you had any advice on the following things:

1. What do you think of UNSW? Is it true the BComm is better overall than Sydney's? Did you consider any other business related courses at other unis?

2. If I don't get into UNSW BComm, could I do BEcos and later transfer to BComm, still majoring in accounting? How hard is internal tranferring to do?

3. Do you have a cadetship? If so, who with and how great is the workload, in terms of hours either working/studying per day?

4. Is there any particular reason you didn't pick to do the combined BComm/BEcos?

N.B. I have also attempted to answer the questions which apply to me.

1. I think UNSW's Australian School of Business is excellent. Having been at USYD's Economic and Business Faculty (i.e. UNSW's ASB equivalent) last year and transferring into UNSW this year, I can say that UNSW absolutely pwns USYD in the Accounting department. It seems that they teach Micro/Macro quite well too. Macquarie's Actuarial Studies is quite well known but most of their commerce subjects are not as good as the other universities from what my friends have told me.

2. If you do not get B.Com, B.Eco is always there. Don't forget HSC Plus applies at UNSW, so in actual fact, if you get 90 UAI for example, you can get up to 5 bonus UAI points. If you unfortunately don't get into B.Com, you should be able to apply for an internal transfer from B.Eco. This is usually done after 1 year of Tertiary studies, and usually it shouldn't be too hard. I think a Credit-Low distinction average should suffice.

3. I have 2 friends who are Cadets (one with PWC and the other with Ernst & Young). From what they have told me, it is quite a "balancing act" to start off, however as with anything, you will get used to it. It is quite manageable in the end, and you will probably enjoy it. They seem to be having the time of their lives lol.

4. Can't really say much here.

Hope this helps :)

atm1991

HSC
Thanks for the replies guys, really helpful. Particularly TehAzner, your insight is particularly useful, given that you've experience both USYD and UNSW.

I was aware of HSC Plus, and had hoped that if I got say 90.5, I still might get in. Though I'm unsure about my UAI, because I keep hearing about the importance of school rank. My school ranked 515 last year, and has been in and around 480 over the past few years. One of the main causes of this is the school offering the IB, which over the past few years has definitely had the stronger students (with there being basically a 50-50 split of student numbers) I think most of my ranks are alright, but I'm worried the school rnak may drag a lot of more capable HSC students back.

My ranks atm are:

English Advanced - 2/41 (Maybe 1 now, not exactly sure?)
English Extension 1 - 3/11
Mathematics - 14/24
Economics - 5/11 (after 1 10% assessment task for school report, but later came 3/11 in a task worth 20%)
Geography - 3/6 (very tight class, may have eevn gone up a rank?)
Legal Studies - 1/11
Studies of Religion 1 - 10/41 (Can definitely improve a few ranks here)

What do you think I need to do to get around 91ish to ensure that with bonus points I might be able to get into BComm at UNSW?

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
haha good ol' year 12 days.

Don't worry about your school ranking/your rankings. At the end of the day, if you do your best, nobody can blame you.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
u cant transfer from eco to comm? as far as i know u can transfer from any program
no, you cannot transfer from a eco degree into a commerce degree. they are of two separate degree program numbers. trust me. i know.

and the cores like i mentioned earlier, are changing, which makes transferring from eco to comm less practical compared to the present and past.

HSC
u can transfer but not internally, through uac. u would only need like a Cr average + ur uai to transfer

alexvincent

HSC
If you're enrolled in B Econ, you can choose a double major. One major from the economics list and one from the commerce list. So you can still major in accounting but it would have to be paired with an economics major.

To transfer from economics to commerce you would have to apply through UAC. Your first year uni results are combined with your UAI to get a revised UAI and then you are considered equally with all other applicants for that particular year. Alternatively, a distinction average guarantees a transfer... well at least that's what the woman from ASB told me.

Finally, for commerce UNSW > Macq > USyd > UTS.

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
I thought the transfer (for UNSW business courses anyways) was based on either your UAI or first year results (which ever one is higher)... Since the average of my UAI and my WAM last year would have been no where near enough for me to transfer... yet they still gave me an offer?

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
If you're enrolled in B Econ, you can choose a double major. One major from the economics list and one from the commerce list. So you can still major in accounting but it would have to be paired with an economics major.

To transfer from economics to commerce you would have to apply through UAC. Your first year uni results are combined with your UAI to get a revised UAI and then you are considered equally with all other applicants for that particular year. Alternatively, a distinction average guarantees a transfer... well at least that's what the woman from ASB told me.

Finally, for commerce UNSW > Macq > USyd > UTS.
May I ask, what are the rankings based upon?

ascentyx

HSC
What do u want to do in bcomm, cause if ur thinking actuarial come to macq and fk shit up lol.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
What do u want to do in bcomm, cause if ur thinking actuarial come to macq and fk shit up lol.
And why do you say that? Coming onto the UNSW boards to spread propaganda about MACQU isn't a good idea.

alexvincent

HSC
May I ask, what are the rankings based upon?
I've done commerce at MQ and transferred to UNSW so I know both the courses. Also, I've spoken to a number of graduates and employers at career days and that's what I've been told.

shakky15

HSC

Seeing as your still in yr 12 hopefully this might help:
1 - UNSW is just a uni... I question how it really can be differentiated from the other unis. The way a potential employer will look at a UNSW student vs, say, UTS student is one thing.. whether the actual degree and teaching is better... thats a different story.

For example, I can barely understand my QMB lecturer and my QMB tutor is just incomprehensible half the time. Is that best in Australia quality?? My Macro lecturer is an american (or canadian) import and she pretty much speaks non stop from start of lecture to end with an annoying nasal american voice (ok, thats not a teaching deficiency, but still...). In acct 1b, the cash flows lecturer was hopeless. The one teaching us management accounting now is a revelation in comparison..

What I'm trying to say is that you get good teachers and you get hopeless ones (much like any other uni i'm sure). Oh and the bus ride from central REALLY sucks. Especially when you think that instead of packing into the bus like sardines at Eddy avenue, you could have just walked up the road to UTS.

2 - Can't help there

3 - I am a first-year cadet. Firstly, if your the type that has to put hours of consistent study for the duration of the course to do well, then it might not be for you. If you can cram, then it is manageable. I found semester one to be dead easy (besides damned QMA), but this was mostly because a lot of HSC stuff was in those subjects... Semester 2 is way harder. The workload is pretty intense, but you get a fair bit of satisfaction that you have a job already (thats why you go to uni isnt it..) and the money is always good. But you can forget uni life (UNSW isnt really renowned for uni life anyway).

Commerce subjects tend to place heavy weight on final exams (usually 60% of the course mark). In that respect, I just take two weeks leave and find that theres plenty of time to (procrastinate) study then....

4 - I actually picked B Comm/Eco... But I'm not going to follow through with it. Now that I'm doing ECON1102 (macroeconomics 1), I've just lost interest for eco (not interested in the maths, and a major in econ has further subjects in econometrics which I just cbf to do). Instead, im thinking of either doing Comm (liberal) or simply B Comm on its own.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)