Year 12 Subjects (1 Viewer)

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Sup freaks,

I have an issue deciding what subjects I'm going to do next year. My subjects, are as follows:

3U English
3U Maths
Chemistry
Economics
Modern History

Out of this list, I'm 100% sure I'll be doing Economics and Modern History next year, due to the fact that my teachers have told me I can state rank both if I try hard enough. I'm also probably gonna stick with minimum 3U Maths since I like it and it's an easy way for me to get 90%+. So anyways, I was thinking of what I should do next year, and I've thought of quite a few combinations, but I'm unsure at the moment of what I'm going to do. I like 3U English, but I hate Emma. And I'm not too inclined on Chemistry, but I'm not bad at it, which is why I took it. In terms of 4U subjects, the option is open for me to do either, since I can, but I'm not sure which one to take, or if I should take both, and drop Chemistry. History Extension is also a possibility, but I'm more inclined to take EE2 or MX2 over it. What would you guys suggest as the best combination of the above subjects factoring available Extensions in order to maxmise my UAI? What subjects should I take? Any thoughts?

P.S. (To Modern History haters I shoved some numbers in SAM and Modern scales crazy above 93%, better than Chem and Eco, and based on my current position, I'm on track for something of that order)

LordPc

HSC
well freakazoid, it really comes down to what you like or dont like the most, english, math or history?

Bacchus

HSC
already decided:

modern
eco
3 unit maths
2 unit eng

that's 9 units.

You have the option of running for continuing 3 unit english or going beyond to 4 unit english

but i reckon

modern
eco
3 unit maths
3 unit english

= sweet for you man.

the.RAVER

HSC
I think you're a little <i>too</i> proactive in thinking about it. Don't consider what you're going to do for next year UNTIL the end of the preliminary course. You need to experience the whole preliminary course then choose what you think. I'd say get it off your mind for another term or two. :)

duckcowhybrid

HSC
I'd rather not think about 10 units yet. Minimum 11. But yeah i dunno, I always thought I'd do
4U maths/2U English/Chem/Eco/Modern but seeing as I like 3U english more than chem atm, I'm not too sure.

Bacchus

HSC
I'd rather not think about 10 units yet. Minimum 11. But yeah i dunno, I always thought I'd do
4U maths/2U English/Chem/Eco/Modern but seeing as I like 3U english more than chem atm, I'm not too sure.
Why not 10 units though. I don't quite get it.

Do you think it's risky? What are your reasons? It's fair enough if you want to stick with more than 10 units but there is no need to.

And when you choose subjects, go with subjects that you like and are more confident with.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
Sup freaks,

I have an issue deciding what subjects I'm going to do next year. My subjects, are as follows:

3U English
3U Maths
Chemistry
Economics
Modern History

Out of this list, I'm 100% sure I'll be doing Economics and Modern History next year, due to the fact that my teachers have told me I can state rank both if I try hard enough. I'm also probably gonna stick with minimum 3U Maths since I like it and it's an easy way for me to get 90%+. So anyways, I was thinking of what I should do next year, and I've thought of quite a few combinations, but I'm unsure at the moment of what I'm going to do. I like 3U English, but I hate Emma. And I'm not too inclined on Chemistry, but I'm not bad at it, which is why I took it. In terms of 4U subjects, the option is open for me to do either, since I can, but I'm not sure which one to take, or if I should take both, and drop Chemistry. History Extension is also a possibility, but I'm more inclined to take EE2 or MX2 over it. What would you guys suggest as the best combination of the above subjects factoring available Extensions in order to maxmise my UAI? What subjects should I take? Any thoughts?

P.S. (To Modern History haters I shoved some numbers in SAM and Modern scales crazy above 93%, better than Chem and Eco, and based on my current position, I'm on track for something of that order)
Thought i was the only one who noticed that :)

HSC
I think you're a little <i>too</i> proactive in thinking about it. Don't consider what you're going to do for next year UNTIL the end of the preliminary course. You need to experience the whole preliminary course then choose what you think. I'd say get it off your mind for another term or two. :)
LOL! i agree with Raver
u'll probably change ur mind on the decision you're going to make now

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Sup freaks,

3U English
3U Maths
Chemistry
Economics
Modern History

Why don't you pick both 4 unit English and 4 unit Maths? That's 14 units, but you could handle that much work if you're devoted to those subjects enough.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Not enough periods. Maximum my timetable fits is 13, and I'm not very prepared to give up my precious free periods, which is how I survive.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I rarely get free periods with 12 units... I can't survive on them anyway (they suck).

Personally, this is from a biased opinion, you should choose 4unit maths over the english. Only since I like maths much better. BUT in 4u maths there are issues because there are questions which you may never solve whereas in EEX2 you have a major project all year rather than an exam/assessments (which I think would be uber cool).

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Rankings. I'm in top 50 for English, and with a little hard work I'll be top 90 for Maths which is all I need for 4U.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Top 50 for English overall, and top 90 for maths. Both figures are out of 168ish students. If you're in either of those categories you can do 4U for that subject. Simple as that. We have 160 kids doing 3U Maths and 150 kids doing 3U English. And the top of Maths often tend to move onto 4U, while this may not be the case for English.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Dunno. in Ruse, the marks are REALLY tight, so they can't do it based on marks, but rather on ranks. And you do get ranked by surname. So if your sruname starts with Z (common), and you get the same as someone whose surname starts with Y (also common), they get ranked higher than you. But essentially, top 90 means you're getting at least 90% on your 2U prelim maths paper and at least 70% on your 3U maths paper. For English it means you're getting 19/20 consistently in English in a variety of assessments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)