Year 12 Subjects (1 Viewer)

spence

HSC
Dunno. in Ruse, the marks are REALLY tight, so they can't do it based on marks, but rather on ranks. And you do get ranked by surname. So if your sruname starts with Z (common), and you get the same as someone whose surname starts with Y (also common), they get ranked higher than you. But essentially, top 90 means you're getting at least 90% on your 2U prelim maths paper and at least 70% on your 3U maths paper. For English it means you're getting 19/20 consistently in English in a variety of assessments.
Quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

And on topic, drop chem since you said you don't really like it

studentcheese

HSC
That's not very fair to rank by surname! Imagine if the HSC system were like that...

duckcowhybrid

HSC
What? it's not fair if they rank you by surnames
sad truth. If the ranks are the same, they differentiate it based on surname. However this is only for Maths, if all other criteria fails for ranking. Otherwise they just put an = next to the rank.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
That would bloody suck! Lol. My surname is Wilson... like some of the last available hahah.

dp624

HSC
Dunno. in Ruse, the marks are REALLY tight, so they can't do it based on marks, but rather on ranks. And you do get ranked by surname. So if your sruname starts with Z (common), and you get the same as someone whose surname starts with Y (also common), they get ranked higher than you. But essentially, top 90 means you're getting at least 90% on your 2U prelim maths paper and at least 70% on your 3U maths paper. For English it means you're getting 19/20 consistently in English in a variety of assessments.
I don't think i was ever ranked by surname or anything... must be new

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
If you are good at modern take up extension history.
I was doing history extension before along with extension 2 math and loved both.

But i dropped history extension and kept math extension 2 because:
1. Math was more interesting
2. Math extension 2 is more relevant to the engineering degree i'm gunning for
3. Scaling is crap compared to math extension 2
4. You do a tiny but of history extension in modern history anyway (for my school,
showing how Trostky has been portrayed by different historians)
5. I can easily talk to my friends about history extension and learn something new,
but doing that with math is pretty much impossible.

Hope this helps ^^

Guage

HSC
Out of this list, I'm 100% sure I'll be doing Economics and Modern History next year, due to the fact that my teachers have told me I can state rank both if I try hard enough.
Excuse my ignorance, but what's "state rank"?. Are you talking about coming in Top 100 in NSW or something like that?

DoomBuggy

HSC
With choosing your subjects, all i can say is that you should pick subjects that you enjoy, and ones that will help you in the future. Make sure you have at least one that you really enjoy and can relax and have fun with. Try and keep at least a couple of studies because you will go mad otherwise!

English Ext 2 is a lot of hard work and takes a lot of dedication but if you think you're up to it, go for it. Year 11 is a time to get used to your chosen subjects in a way and see if you can handle the pressure of your workload. I was doing 12 units and had to work on two major bodies of work in two of my subjects. I dropped down to standard maths (mainly because i was too lazy to do advanced =P) in term two and that helped me a lot with my workload. I ended up dropping my extension english class a couple of weeks ago because of all the stress of my other subjects and it's helped a great lot. So if you do choose to do any extension subjects, just make sure you are able to manage all of your other subjects along with it and remember that you should give the things that you love and are interested in a try and if it's too much stress you can let it go =)

Oops, seems i rambled a bit too much...oh wells :)

Bacchus

HSC
Wow...u must be a freak then...

How many ppl would do a subject such as Economics or Physics?
It all depends on the number of candiature.

For economics, I think it's just top 10 and for physics, it's top 20.

iNerd

Banned
HSC
My dream was to actually do

4 unit math
3 unit english
3 unit music

but stupid border of studies says minimum requirement 4 subjects
so...

4 maths
3 music
2 english
2 legal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)