Year 9 & 10 Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Can anyone offer some advice about studying? I've been studying for like 3 hours a day on weekdays and 4 on weekends but I feel like I haven't retained much information. I'm mainly focusing on English, maths and science. English I'm decent at but science and maths, while I really like them, I'm not getting the grades I want (mid to high 80's). Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.
Yeah probably study less + take more breaks as year 9 and 10 are only important for maths and english (building up skills) or science to get into your year 11 subjects. However if I was you I'd study less as you've got more years to come and those study hours are normal for year 12. If you think you won't burn out then no worries keep doing it :)

highshill

HSC
GUYS HELP, i think i failed my commerce exam. Am i gonna fail HSC?!
Don't worry, it'll be fine as long as you study, trust me in year 11 and 12 its a whole new level and in year 11 you can fix up your mistakes since it is not counted towards the HSC.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Can anyone offer some advice about studying? I've been studying for like 3 hours a day on weekdays and 4 on weekends but I feel like I haven't retained much information. I'm mainly focusing on English, maths and science. English I'm decent at but science and maths, while I really like them, I'm not getting the grades I want (mid to high 80's). Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

In these younger years try to enjoy them (not going to get this opportunity in the HSC for the most part). Studying should be like efficiency based - effective focused studying rather than what you seem to be doing with mass studying.

The way you should stdy for maths and science is by making a set of notes from the textbook your school has for its classes (make them like as short as possible, however detailed i..e concise). Then after this just do past papers questions from your school and THSConline and other sites. Only really have to do this in the weeks prior to exams in the lower years of high school. From this identify which areas are lacking in the subject and ask a teacher or friend to explain them

patrickjames

HSC
Yeah I was taking breaks. My exams were last week and now that they're finished I've entirely just been doing homework. I haven't gotten my English marks back yet but for maths I got 89% (which was the highest mark in intermediate maths) and 85%, which may go up, for science (which was the highest mark in all of year 10). Overall, for the subjects I was trying I'm pretty proud of it. I still feel like I could have done better, especially for science since I was mainly just studying off a set of notes which wasn't a very good plan in retrospect which is why I was asking about this. My handwriting has always been pretty messy despite my best efforts to improve it so do you have any other advice?

pockysticks

HSC
N/A
does anyone know what i can do to improve my english marks? I did really bad in my assessments this term and im really bad at essay writing, especially with structure and analysing so if anyone can recommend some tips that would be great. also for science, i find it really hard to understand concepts and our teacher doesn't explain it well. Does anyone know of any good maybe videos or something i can watch to improve my understanding??

pockysticks

HSC
N/A
is it a bad move to not take any science subjects for hsc? I was thinking of focusing more on subjects like business studies/eco. Can I still get an atar over 95? also how many hours do you guys study on weekdays and weekends and at what times?

notthedevil

I love the Pakenham line
HSC
is it a bad move to not take any science subjects for hsc? I was thinking of focusing more on subjects like business studies/eco. Can I still get an atar over 95? also how many hours do you guys study on weekdays and weekends and at what times?
About 43% of hsc students don't study any science (including me) and many of them get great ATARs, including 95+.

Coco Lipnitskaya

HSC
Helloo, does anyone want to be my study buddy? I'm sure motivation would do us both good

Criteria (sorry but you have to fit this criteria)

1. Attend a highschool in the top 20 (preferably selective)
2. Girl
3. Have Instagram (we'll chat on ig)

Thankss, byeeeee

Zyphronic

HSC
1. If you genuinely have an interest in science and wish to pursue it further after high school, then do it! It is not a bad move not to do any sciences.
2. You most certainly can get an ATAR over 95 with hard work, especially with subjects you enjoy; where you will be motivated to study and revise and not see it as a trek
3. Personally, I study and revise around 2 hours on the weekend, usually when I have time. On weekdays, I almost have no time to study or revise since I do so many extra-curriculars. At this point, you shouldn't worry about studying too much in this year instead rather relaxing and enjoying yourself before Preliminary and HSC starts. I would recommend studying for English, Math, Science (if you decide to do it in senior years) and any other subject you decide do or pursue after high school.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Can anyone offer advice on how to study/improve on English?
I found that reading my peers' work who got good marks and trying out stuff that worked for them helped me improve a lot! Also take on feedback after each assessment and adjust study methods to see if different ones are more effective. Let me know if you need more help! :)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
i) Read Exempler essays (Ones getting band 6s)
ii) Hand in practice essays and incorporate teacher feedback.
iii) Try and use more "complex" language (e.g look at synonyms etc).

TheShy

HSC
Read past HSC papers and their answers, you can learn a thing or two from what the general answer should be. It helped me out, it should too to you.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Does anyone have a soft copy textbook for year 9 science?
Might be able to borrow a soft copy/hardcopy from a library. Otherwise you may be able to buy one directly froma publisher or you could try contacting your school/seeing if former year 10s/9s have any for sale or are willing to give away from free. It is illegal to download copyright breaching material.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Also welcome all to BOS! Feel free to introduce yourselves.

HSC
If you want to peruse a career in science then I think you should take science for the HSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)